• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Funimation Opens Your Name. Ticket Sales

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:40 pm Reply with quote
endallchaos wrote:
So... I've never seen an anime movie in theaters... Can you get the tickets at the box office, or can you only get them online?

These events sometimes sell out like mad. I remember when Madoka came, things sold out in minutes. With limited showings, it was tough.

When GuP's movie was nearby a few months ago so few people showed up a ton of posters remained in excess afterwards. Felt bad since the movie was so good. They would probably have sold at the door for that, but I wouldn't leave it to chance. Your Name is the biggest anime movie in some time, but showing at a lot of locations. Really it'll be a gamble.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:51 pm Reply with quote
slau783 wrote:
endallchaos wrote:
So... I've never seen an anime movie in theaters... Can you get the tickets at the box office, or can you only get them online?

I got my SAO tickets at the box office the night of the showing. But there were two theaters within a few miles showing it so I was not worried about it selling out. If there is a very specific time and day you want to watch it then get them online or risk it being sold out. But since this is a much wider release than your typical anime movie, I doubt it will be sold out. What I hate about getting tickets online is they charge you a service fee of a dollar something depending on the theater which just adds 10% to 20% to the price of the ticket.

Probably depends on the location. I looked at the SAO showtimes on the site of the theater I'm going to see it at the other day and both showtimes were sold out at that point (I'd already bought the ticket) so if you had wanted to get it on the day of the showing, you'd have been SOL.

Also this seems to be a situation where doing things in percentage terms is misleading. They're only charging a dollar and change to let you reserve a spot beforehand. An exorbitant fee that is not.
Roxas4ever

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Anyone else have problems with Fandango? Neither my boyfriend or I can get tickets, even though we've tried different cards, different theaters, and different times.
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Have tried to get tickets 3 times today. No luck so far. First couple of times the show times weren't set yet, latest time the whole thing just crashed... guess I'll have to wait some more. Seems like they should at least have all of the showtimes set before they open sales...
zawa113

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:49 am Reply with quote
Sweet, it is playing near me! They seem to have a lot of theaters for this, I'll decide on a date/showtime closer to April 6th I suppose.

And Ben Pronsky is in it! I didn't know he was still doing dubbing, I'll be glad to hear his voice again! The Cro High dub wouldn't have been so epic without him!
Lord Dcast

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:01 am Reply with quote
As someone who's seen it in theatres (Australia got it ages ago), I can confirm it is worth seeing in theatres even though it's just a tad overhyped. For the animation and direction alone it needs to be seen in the ultimate form.

I'm just sad I missed the Imax reshow.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:47 am Reply with quote
thenextday wrote:
So how do I know if a showing is dubbed or subbed? The theater site doesn't say anything about it.

You may have to wait until the date gets closer, and they figure out the difference. For example, my local theater (which shows enough foreign fare to understand subtitles) is alternating sub/dub showings:

EDIT: Also kind of amazing it'll get shows throughout the weekend, instead of the usual anime special event deal where there's one evening showing and that's it.
hickey92

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:11 am Reply with quote
I'm glad you guys in the US will be able to watch it soon. It really sucks that they took so long to get it out to you (in the UK we've had it since November for christ sake). It's a really good film, so those of you who didn't cave and download fansub or something will be rewarded, because it is an excellent experience seeing it for the first time on the big screen.
TD912

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:03 am Reply with quote
Darn it, the closest theaters around here only have screenings for one day, Friday. Guess I'll have to travel a bit to see it on Saturday or some other day.
slau783

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:47 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
Probably depends on the location. I looked at the SAO showtimes on the site of the theater I'm going to see it at the other day and both showtimes were sold out at that point (I'd already bought the ticket) so if you had wanted to get it on the day of the showing, you'd have been SOL.

Also this seems to be a situation where doing things in percentage terms is misleading. They're only charging a dollar and change to let you reserve a spot beforehand. An exorbitant fee that is not.

Location is definitely the factor. I had no idea why they even had two theaters out here so close to each other (about a 5 minute drive), and third not too far. I checked the theater website, they were not sold out, so I went. It was about three quarters full. If they were sold out I would have just waited and bought the BD. This wasn't a movie I had to see no matter what, so I was not willing to pay extra for it.

Your Name is playing for a week in most places in the US, as opposed to one showing on one night like SAO. My advice still stands, if there is a specific showing that you must go to, get tickets now as the fee is worth it. Otherwise I do not see the need to spend extra on the fee. There is one theater in my area that lets you pick seats when you buy tickets online, now that is worth the extra money.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:59 pm Reply with quote
That's fair. I will say for SAO that they did have other days as well outside the fathom events one, albeit in a more limited number of theaters (which is how I saw it today).
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Enjoy yourselves, everyone! On the day this film debuted over here, viewers at some screens were presented with the dubbed version despite the subtitled one being advertised. Enough time has elapsed to prevent any such mishaps in your cases, I like to think.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
darkdeath174

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:25 pm Reply with quote
ly000001 wrote:
WarrFork wrote:
Ugh add Canada cities already. Why slowly adding in theaters? Give us a list instead of that crappy postal code thingy. I don't mind driving farther.

According to the Cineplex Odeon site, it'll play at

- Cineplex Odeon International Village Cinemas, Vancouver BC
- SilverCity Riverport Cinemas, Richmond BC
- Scotiabank Theatre Chinook, Calgary AB
- Cineplex Odeon South Edmonton Cinemas, Edmonton, AB
- Cineplex Cinemas Winston Churchill, Oakville ON
- Cineplex Cinemas Yonge-Dundas and VIP, Toronto ON
- Cineplex Cinemas Scarborough, Scarborough ON
- SilverCity Richmond Hill, Richmond Hill ON
- Scotiabank Theatre Ottawa (formerly SilverCity Gloucester), Gloucester ON
- Cinémas Cineplex Forum, Montréal QC

Sweet they are up now! Cineplex didn't have a page yet when Funi said tickets were on sale. Thanks for posting this.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:56 am Reply with quote
Damn, the theater I work at is showing this. We had Shin Godzilla and the DBZ films too, so I guess it shouldn't be that surprising, but it's still really cool!
RyuDiceFreak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Why is it every time anime movies I want to see in theaters either never play near me or play they (rarely) do it's just once at a time I just possible make? I'll end up having to buy this one to see it (just like with so many others~). It looks really good and I've heard nothing but good things about it so far, so at least it will be worth it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3