• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Toonami Replaces One Piece Anime With Tokyo Ghoul Starting on March 25

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wyvern

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:28 am Reply with quote
That's a real shame. OP was about to enter one of its best and most powerful arcs.

So is Tokyo Ghoul going to air in OP's old timeslot? Or will Naruto end up getting pushed back? If so, it'll be interesting to see if it holds up in OP's slot. Naruto is generally better-known here in the US, but it's nowhere near as big a property as it used to be.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:39 am Reply with quote
That's a shame, but hopefully it will return one day. One Piece has always had a hard time in the US, which sucks because it's a great series with great characters, so much heart, and a really memorable, unique style. I'll watch every episode a million times over before I view a single episode of comparatively bland (IMO) stuff like Bleach and Naruto.

Also, One Piece is a show that pretty much forces you to watch multiple episodes at once. One episode a week is just way too slow. It would take months for the plot to seriously move along. Maybe if Toonami was still on five times a week, it would make more sense. That's how they made DBZ work. Toonami really did try to make this series work. They even tried repeats at 8:30 (at a very bad point in the show), and the show does have a devoted cult following, but it was just hard to make it work here. The writing's been on the wall ever since they pushed it back so late. It had a decent 4-year-run on the block, but it's, sadly, just time to move on.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:46 am Reply with quote
As a One Piece fan, it makes me sad, but I can see why: With so many long-runners, one of them had to end prematurely one time or another, and One Piece lags far behind the others. For one reason or another, much of the Toonami audience has rejected One Piece. (I blame it starting on the Foxy arc.)

theNightster wrote:
One piece is a good series but Toonami has way too many long runners as it is, (I love Hunter X hunter and DBZ don't get me wrong) as for the replacement, would have chosen a certain magical index over Tokyo Ghoul anime but that's none of my business

A Certain Magical index doesn't have the cultural presence Tokyo Ghoul has, and it doesn't fit with the Toonami style as much.

Hugh Mungus wrote:
Well that blows.

RIP One Piece on Toonami, hopefully someone else will pick you up and give you another chance.

I'm expecting One Piece to come back, but the Toonami block will likely have to expand first.

Gemnist wrote:
Damn, that sucks. I agree there are too many long-running shows on Toonami, but I was pretty sure One Piece had good ratings. I mean, why not replace Gundam Unicorn RE:0096 with it instead when that show ends? I mean, Tokyo Ghoul does seem like a perfect fit for Toonami and I'm happy for it but - One Piece man. (Unless Funimation is just putting it on hiatus or something and replacing it with Tokyo Ghoul so they can work on the timeskip?).

While I stopped keeping track of ratings numbers for some time, when I used to check, viewership dropped by about 30% each time One Piece came on, then jumped back up by about 15% afterwards. Either a number of people watch Toonami but skip One Piece, or they tune out before One Piece and a different audience jumps in after it.

Tsumikisan wrote:
Sad for OP dub fans, but I'm glad they did this. I haven't tuned in to Toonami for a while since it became almost purely long runners. They need at least one or two slots dedicated to shows that are long enough to keep them stable for about half a year, but short enough to keep things fresh and interesting. Tokyo Ghoul has been an in-demand show for years now; the time slot fits, this works out.

Then again they could just be doing this to be the bridge between the first half and New World. Who knows really.

The timeskip won't happen for another long while, around 100 episodes or so. They are one arc away from when Toei switched to one episode per chapter though, and that, pardon the pun, REALLY took the winds out of the show's sails.

KH91 wrote:
I was wondering which long runner would get killed first between Naruto and OP.

There's no reason Toonami would ax Naruto except out of spite. Naruto is still a cultural force in the west.

Tsumikisan wrote:
Naruto is kind of in Shippuden's peak episodes though (at least I know Sasuke vs Itachi just recently ended), so there's no way they'd kill it off during the best arc of the series.

They're at the Pain story, actually. Which is definitely commonly considered the peak of the series.

Wyvern wrote:
That's a real shame. OP was about to enter one of its best and most powerful arcs.

Yeah, Sabaody's one of my favorites, because it introduces so many characters who would become major players later on. It is an arc made of plants ("plants" in the narrative sense), and we're still getting the payoffs in the manga right now.

Skipping that would be a travesty because you can't get everything out of any subsequent arc without watching or reading what happens in Sabaody first.
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:07 am Reply with quote
On a side note, anyone know what is the progress on the new FLCL season being co produced by Toonami? I think announcement was early last year, so we should be expecting it short, right?

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-03-24/toonami-to-co-produce-2-new-flcl-seasons/.100222

Last edited by rinkwolf10 on Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:10 am; edited 2 times in total
Mr.Shonen

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:07 am Reply with quote
That's a shame.

But hey at least we have an hour dedicated to the almighty DragonBall. Also the once slot being smartly used on GitS.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
veemonjosh

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:11 am Reply with quote
Mr.Shonen wrote:
Also the once slot being smartly used on GitS.

I gather by the snarky tone that you think it's a better idea to air something brand new at 3am than to use the slot for reruns. The only time Toonami has ever regularly used 3am for a premiere was when they shoved Tenchi Muyo GXP, notoriously the largest flop the block has produced since it was resurrected, down there after only a few weeks. Which should tell you how good a slot 3am is.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:39 am Reply with quote
veemonjosh wrote:
Mr.Shonen wrote:

I gather by the snarky tone that you think it's a better idea to air something brand new at 3am than to use the slot for reruns. The only time Toonami has ever regularly used 3am for a premiere was when they shoved Tenchi Muyo GXP, notoriously the largest flop the block has produced since it was resurrected, down there after only a few weeks. Which should tell you how good a slot 3am is.

3 AM is mostly the slot where shows still owned by Toonami for broadcasting are placed, until the rights revert back to the licensor. Attack on Titan, Kill la Kill, Parasyte, and most recently One Punch Man are examples of this.[/b]
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:41 am Reply with quote
Disappointing, but not a loss. Just funny when I originally started watching One Piece right at the start of the Shabondy Arc, and it's where it's ending with the Dub. Just wish they get rid of Shippuuden or move it. Rather watch the return of GITs than Naruto.
Lopezz

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:00 am Reply with quote
Tokyo Ghoul will die while OP will still live.

Pathetic.
kuzronk

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:13 am Reply with quote
I hate Tokyo Ghoul but at least non otakus could watch that fine and not feel like they are jumping into Gravity's Rainbow half way though.
1dbad

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:32 am Reply with quote
Disappointing. I had just caught up to where Toonami was at, and was looking forward to watching it each week. Crying or Very sad I'm really sad to see it go.

Not sure I'll watch Tokyo Ghoul (hear it's better to read the manga), but it is nice having a slot for a non-long runner again.
MoonPhase1

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:36 am Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
veemonjosh wrote:
Mr.Shonen wrote:

3 AM is mostly the slot where shows still owned by Toonami for broadcasting are placed, until the rights revert back to the licensor. Attack on Titan, Kill la Kill, Parasyte, and most recently One Punch Man are examples of this.[/b]

Hellsing Ultimate was also a premiere at 3 AM, but it was like that since Episode 1.
LoriasGS

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:49 am Reply with quote
[quote="Tsumikisan"]
KH91 wrote:
Oh wow, I was under the impression they were already at Marineford. Well damn then there goes my theory. Laughing

leafy sea dragon wrote:
The timeskip won't happen for another long while, around 100 episodes or so.

They're reached the timeskip in their DVD releases (the last release finishing on the last pre-timeskip episode) that came out in December and they haven't revealed the release date of any news ones yet which is strange because normally by the time a DVD comes out they've already announced the release date of the next, and they stopped their simulcast back in September.

But at the same time the latest volume had an extra feature called Outtakes part 1(which implies a part 2 is intended) and they did recently license One Piece Gold so it looks like the future of one piece in Funimation is pretty vague at this point. The evidence suggests they had every intention of continuing past the timeskip but something is getting in their way, this thing with Toonami is clearly related.
LoriasGS

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:49 am Reply with quote
[quote="Tsumikisan"]
KH91 wrote:
Oh wow, I was under the impression they were already at Marineford. Well damn then there goes my theory. Laughing

leafy sea dragon wrote:

They're reached the timeskip in their DVD releases (the last release finishing on the last pre-timeskip episode) that came out in December and they haven't revealed the release date of any news ones yet which is strange because normally by the time a DVD comes out they've already announced the release date of the next, and they stopped their simulcast back in September.

But at the same time the latest volume had an extra feature called Outtakes part 1(which implies a part 2 is intended) and they did recently license One Piece Gold so it looks like the future of one piece in Funimation is pretty vague at this point. The evidence suggests they had every intention of continuing past the timeskip but something is getting in their way, this thing with Toonami is clearly related.
SkippyTheRobot

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:19 am Reply with quote
[quote="LoriasGS"]
Tsumikisan wrote:
KH91 wrote:

leafy sea dragon wrote:

The simulcast is still going on both FUNi and Crunchyroll and there's evidence that shows that they've been dubbing the post-timeskip stuff since July
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6