• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Toonami Replaces One Piece Anime With Tokyo Ghoul Starting on March 25

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fenrin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Aw I was hoping the next new show would be Mob Psycho Crying or Very sad but that probably won't be for a while
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:22 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

theNightster wrote:
One piece is a good series but Toonami has way too many long runners as it is, (I love Hunter X hunter and DBZ don't get me wrong) as for the replacement, would have chosen a certain magical index over Tokyo Ghoul anime but that's none of my business

A Certain Magical index doesn't have the cultural presence Tokyo Ghoul has, and it doesn't fit with the Toonami style as much.
Indeed, it's too much of a loli/moe/tsundere/schoolgirls otaku type of show to appeal to Toonami runners or broader audiences, sadly enough.
Animorphimagi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:55 pm Reply with quote
that sucks, but as much as I love One Piece, it's on so late I have to wonder whether it matters that Tokyo Ghoul will replace it. I was thinking TG would be a good pick for Toonami, but the time that the show airs matters WAY more than the actual content. I'd just leave Toonami on if it was on 8-12 even if I wasn't watching it, but when it's 11ish to 3am I don't feel comfortable leaving it on unless I'm watching it.
SkippyTheRobot

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:25 pm Reply with quote
1dbad wrote:
SkippyTheRobot wrote:
there's evidence that shows that they've been dubbing the post-timeskip stuff since July

What is this evidence?

The voice of Chu tweeted about recording for One Piece with Mike McFarland back in July and Chris Rager (Arlong) tweeted about Arlong returning in the Fishman Island arc
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Are they taking it off because One Piece fans are just buying the DVDs and not really watching on TV or are they just giving it time so they can have a big batch of more dubbed episodes, Tokyo Ghoul both seasons is only 24 episodes.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:24 pm Reply with quote
They're taking it off because it has consistently done the worst out of all their shows for years.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
They're taking it off because it has consistently done the worst out of all their shows for years.

I figured, One Piece fans are probably buying DVDs or watching dub and sub on Funimation or Crunchyroll instead of waiting until 2:30 in the morning or DVRing it on Toonami.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:56 pm Reply with quote
My guess is that Toonami asked Toei from now only only to buy (and broadcast) non-filler One Piece episodes. Obviously Toei said no. Obviously Toonami used that chance to get something new (to see if it can improve ratings, they can try with other Funimation licenses later on) and to soften Pierrot when they ask the same deal for Naruto Shippuden (seriously, I can't see it lasting with all that boring filler, people that really want that filler can watch the streams online on crunchyroll if they really need them).
redranger

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Smile it's a great feeling knowing one piece will never be as popular as Naruto DBZ or bleach. None of those three would have gotten canceled. And no 4kids to blame this time. What excuse will people use? Good riddance. What can I say, one piece fans make me sick.
ihate4kids

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Don't underestimate the impact a shitty dub can have on a series. 4Kids may be long dead and buried, but there's still a lot, and I mean a LOT of people who know it from that era, and thus refuse to give it a chance.

Last edited by ihate4kids on Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:47 pm Reply with quote
While the few episodes I've seen of One Piece during its run on Toonami (I actually gave up on the series after the Alabasta arc; saying good-bye to Vivi made me very sad since she grew to be my favorite character next to Nami... the changing of time slots and losing the ability to record shows I want on my parents' DVR not helping matters either), I'm a bit sad that I won't be watching it anymore as I get ready for bed. That said, my husband and I will look forward to watching Tokyo Ghoul and seeing what made this series rather popular.
matt78

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:02 pm Reply with quote
redranger wrote:
Smile it's a great feeling knowing one piece will never be as popular as Naruto DBZ or bleach. None of those three would have gotten canceled. And no 4kids to blame this time. What excuse will people use? Good riddance. What can I say, one piece fans make me sick.

You are right about Naruto and DBZ. But Bleach got canceled in Japan which is much worse than being taken off the air here. At least One Piece fans will still get to watch new episodes via DVD and streaming. Bleach fans have to hope and pray that Japan decides to make new episodes for them to get a chance to finish watching the story.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:02 pm Reply with quote
redranger wrote:
:) it's a great feeling knowing one piece will never be as popular as Naruto DBZ or bleach. None of those three would have gotten canceled.

Uhh... I thought Bleach did get cancelled...
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:35 pm Reply with quote
mglittlerobin wrote:
I figured, One Piece fans are probably buying DVDs or watching dub and sub on Funimation or Crunchyroll instead of waiting until 2:30 in the morning or DVRing it on Toonami.

I would say that, most likely, it's because the One Piece audience doesn't overlap with the Toonami audience as much as the other shows. While it's undoubtedly a shonen and an action series, One Piece is quite visibly wackier, more cheerful, more colorful, and more western-influenced than most other Toonami fare.

ihate4kids wrote:
Don't underestimate the impact a shitty dub can have on a seires. 4Kids may be long dead and buried, but there's still a lot, and I mean a LOT of people who know it from that era, and thus refuse to give it a chance.

There are also a few people, against all logic, who think 4Kids is still doing the dub. Or at least proclaim that it is.

There is a sizable contingent of One Piece fans who will insist on the fansub/scanlation names though, and will refuse to consume anything related to the show that's official and in English. (This includes the curators of the One Piece Wikia.) I wouldn't be surprised if some of those people are just saying that to try to persuade people not to watch it dubbed.

Dessa wrote:
Uhh... I thought Bleach did get cancelled...

If you mean on Toonami, Bleach went all the way up to the end of the anime, which was the end of the Fullbring arc. To my knowledge, Bleach also continued to bring in over 1 million viewers to that point.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:33 pm Reply with quote
redranger wrote:
Smile it's a great feeling knowing one piece will never be as popular as Naruto DBZ or bleach.

....Shippuden used to be on Disney X D, strange how it's currently on Cartoon Network in a late night slot especially when the entirety of Part 1 (and Shippuden's Disney run) used to air on prime time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6