• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Toonami Replaces One Piece Anime With Tokyo Ghoul Starting on March 25

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
1dbad

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:59 pm Reply with quote
I think the DVD releases being so far ahead of where Toonami is at didn't help matters either. Toonami just got to episode 383, while the dub is already up to episode 516 on DVDs/streaming. That's a good 133 episodes difference. Doesn't give one the same incentive to watch that a dub premiere does.

SkippyTheRobot wrote:
The voice of Chu tweeted about recording for One Piece with Mike McFarland back in July and Chris Rager (Arlong) tweeted about Arlong returning in the Fishman Island arc

Thanks! I was wondering what I had missed. But that does make the hold-up with the Fishman Island DVDs even stranger. I'm sure we'll still get it, but it is odd we don't have a date yet. We usually have one by now.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:15 pm Reply with quote
ihate4kids wrote:
Don't underestimate the impact a shitty dub can have on a seires. 4Kids may be long dead and buried, but there's still a lot, and I mean a LOT of people who know it from that era, and thus refuse to give it a chance.

By that logic, Sailor Moon, Pokemon, Digimon, and Yu-Gi-Oh never would have caught on. The later three's recent movies still use the edited dub scripts, names, and so forth in America.

One Piece was never and will never be as successful as its shounen brothers in America because it's more cartoony and wacky. It's not what Americans think of when they think of anime. I imagine its why they never tried to get Fairy Tail on Toonami either. The fact they have action at all saves them from being ignored completely unlike comedy and drama WSJ series

-Stuart Smith
theNightster

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
redranger wrote:
Smile it's a great feeling knowing one piece will never be as popular as Naruto DBZ or bleach. None of those three would have gotten canceled.

Uhh... I thought Bleach did get cancelled...
he was referring to the American broadcast of the respective shows, the Bleach anime ended before the manga over in Japan but it did pretty well on Adult swim action/Toonami through out it's run and that's saying a lot because anime as whole always got the lowest raitings on Adult swim and not too mention Adult swim got to air all the episodes thus completed it's run
theNightster

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:59 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
redranger wrote:
Smile it's a great feeling knowing one piece will never be as popular as Naruto DBZ or bleach.

....Shippuden used to be on Disney X D, strange how it's currently on Cartoon Network in a late night slot especially when the entirety of Part 1 (and Shippuden's Disney run) used to air on prime time.
that's the curse of airing on adult swim if you're not a rerun of Family guy or American dad (or any fox animated sitcom for that matter)
Spawn29

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:43 pm Reply with quote
I never got the hype behind Tokyo Ghoul. It felt very Shonen for a Seinen title in my opinion and I didn't find the main character that interesting. I don't think the anime was groundbreaking as fans make it out to be when other titles like Parasyte and Devilman had similar themes and did much better. Maybe I can give it another try with it airing on Toonami.
BriBri812

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:37 pm Reply with quote
A lot of One Piece fans in America (like myself) probably catch up with the manga or watch the subbed simulcast weekly. The arc in dub that shows on Toonami is already pretty behind compared to the dvd releases from Funimation so people may just buy the dvd releases instead...

I got into the TG series because the first season is pretty good. Then I got into the manga after watching. The second season of the anime is complete trash though and just recommend reading, especially Tokyo Ghoul:Re
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:29 pm Reply with quote
BriBri812 wrote:
The arc in dub that shows on Toonami is already pretty behind compared to the dvd releases from Funimation so people may just buy the dvd releases instead...

I might just have to. I don't want to chance its questionable return to Toonami in the future on a possibility.
bleachigo66

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:04 pm Reply with quote
[quote="leafy sea dragon"]
bleachigo66 wrote:
The cultural impact of Dragon Ball absolutely cannot be underestimated. The franchise alone is what had sustained FUNimation through some otherwise financially tough years. There's a reason why they kept re-relleasing Dragon Ball Z: People kept buying them. The series is pretty much synonymous with anime in the west.

What's more remarkable about the Dragon Ball franchise getting two shows is that one of these shows got Toonami an extra half-hour slot. That is, instead of replacing another Toonami show with Dragon Ball Super, an Adult Swim Comedy timeslot was replaced with it.

As for One Piece, the well had been poisoned. Between it being associated with 4Kids, its extreme long-runner status, it starting on the Davy Back Fight arc (filler and all), the art style being a turn off to a lot of people, and the premise being a turn off to a lot of people, One Piece is a hard sell to the Anglosphere. It's one of those "Ehhhhh...I dunno...." kind of series to your typical Toonami watcher. It doesn't have the level of Japanese exoticism most of the rest of its Toonami brethren have.

You may have just been using my post as a jumping off point, but as I said, I'm fully aware of all that and I'm not surprised by this turn of events. I've been following anime through all of that. I just think the lot in life One Piece pulled over here is a shame.

As a fan that's watched the entirety of the 750+ episodes of One Piece more than once, owns and has read all the manga released, purchased all of the above and is importing releases we'll probably never get here: I want the series on blu-ray as it's getting in japan, to give it a chance with people who don't like DVDs, I want all the movies and specials still unlicensed released at all. (including one that is basically a Mamoru hosoda movie, even in aesthetic, considering Funimation has put out most of his directed movies at this point) All this in mind, One Piece having it's tie to the "mainstream" severed is just a bummer. This isn't a knock to Dragon Ball, either. I like it a lot and own it as well.

Last edited by bleachigo66 on Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:53 am; edited 1 time in total
1dbad

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:38 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
I might just have to. I don't want to chance its questionable return to Toonami in the future on a possibility.

You can also become a FUNimation subscriber and watch the dub on their site. I find that route cheaper/faster, since it can take a while to get all the DVDs.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:30 am Reply with quote
1dbad wrote:
You can also become a FUNimation subscriber and watch the dub on their site. I find that route cheaper/faster, since it can take a while to get all the DVDs.

I haven't decided anything yet, but I'll keep that in mind. Thank you.
Joshua Taylor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:59 pm Reply with quote
I don't think there's a need to air OP on TV. It's streamed online.
Naruto Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
ihate4kids wrote:
Don't underestimate the impact a shitty dub can have on a seires. 4Kids may be long dead and buried, but there's still a lot, and I mean a LOT of people who know it from that era, and thus refuse to give it a chance.

By that logic, Sailor Moon, Pokemon, Digimon, and Yu-Gi-Oh never would have caught on. The later three's recent movies still use the edited dub scripts, names, and so forth in America.

One Piece was never and will never be as successful as its shounen brothers in America because it's more cartoony and wacky. It's not what Americans think of when they think of anime. I imagine its why they never tried to get Fairy Tail on Toonami either. The fact they have action at all saves them from being ignored completely unlike comedy and drama WSJ series

-Stuart Smith

You're confusing "shitty dub" with "not word-for-word-faithful-translation of the Japanese version dub". Digimon had one of the best and most natural sounding dubs of the 90s and early 2000s. Nobody who was unfamiliar with the Japanese version would watch that and say "who made this garbage". One Piece, on the other hand, was obnoxious and grating and had some objectively terrible voice acting.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Naruto Guru wrote:
You're confusing "shitty dub" with "not word-for-word-faithful-translation of the Japanese version dub". Digimon had one of the best and most natural sounding dubs of the 90s and early 2000s. Nobody who was unfamiliar with the Japanese version would watch that and say "who made this garbage". One Piece, on the other hand, was obnoxious and grating and had some objectively terrible voice acting.

Different people look for different things in what they consider good adaptation. Personally, I would say the duty is to bring over as much of the feel of the original material as possible, which means it cannot be direct translations, as they wouldn't sound natural. (To me, a good localization should sound so natural, it should make me forget it was ever in another language. It's not the only thing that makes a good localization, but all of my favorite ones have this trait.) But this unnatural-sounding dialogue is exactly what some people want, because they're consuming it not as a standalone product, but as a way to experience it in its original language while remaining informed about what's going on.

At least, that's how it comes across to me: Viewing it as pure entertainment, enjoying the work for the story and its characters, vs. viewing it in a drier, more scholarly approach, enjoying the work because they want to be familiar with it and to understand its native language further.

romanmack wrote:
The simulcast is probably safe, since it seems that people only care about the Japanese version and the most recent episodes.... but as far as the English dub goes, I'm expecting it to cease production soon.

if it ceases production, it won't be because it's not on Toonami. FUNimation had been dubbing One Piece without it being on Toonami for quite a while before it was added to the block. They can continue without it.

If there are any hangups, schedule slips, or whatnot, it's for entirely unrelated reasons.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:20 am Reply with quote
One Piece will always have a core, cult audience that streams the subs and buys the DVD's, but at this point it is time to give up the ghost of it ever being truly "mainstream" the way DBZ or even AOT are. They have tried for years to make One Piece a thing in the US and every time, without fail, it hasn't worked out. Keep it online, but expecting people to jump into this silly show with no end in sight isn't happening.
Chester McCool

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:30 am Reply with quote
Naruto Guru wrote:

https://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=LJfPeYpRPwk

https://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=-k-0OT9pNzQ

Literally the same thing. Villain making stupid jokes with lame acting. One Piece fans can make all the excuses they want for why the show failed to catch on with TV audiences, but shitty dub isnt one. This is a market who embraced Smash Mouth and Backstreet Boys songs being inserted into anime dubs. The barometer for quality is non existant.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6