• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Overlord TV Anime Gets 2nd Season

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BlackPoint.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:40 am Reply with quote
Yes yes yes yes yes yes cant express the happiness once i saw the news. Finnaly the popular and good selling anime are getting their deserved sequals. Cant wait for this to air hoping for fall season Smile
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:43 am Reply with quote
Time to spin like a Prinny and bust out the good wine! Both my favorite skullheads are getting their time in the spotlight (the other is Elias).
Nachtwandler

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:43 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
^There are a lot of shows that are popular and should "inevitably" get a second season. That's just not how the industry works. I roll my eyes even harder at people who say things like that. "such and such was so popular, of course it'll get a second season". As if that was the only determining factor. Take a look through history to see all of the popular shows that haven't gotten continuations for one reason or another. It's a pretty long list!

Nachtwandler wrote:
I do not get where people got the stupid idea that Madhouse does not make sequels. They made a bunch of sequels to their shows including some famous ones like Black Lagoon, Galaxy Angel and Chihayafuru.

The only studio that actually can be blamed for not doing sequels is Brain Base who only made sequels to Natsume and 1 or 2 other shows for all its history.

Just because they have done sequels, and do now, doesn't negate the fact that a lot of their work didn't get sequels over the last decade or so. There was a solid stretch there where very few projects contracted out to Madhouse received sequels, or conclusions at least, by them. Black Lagoon still counts for that as the second season, and even the OVA series, does not conclude the story at all, Chihayafuru is the same case. I can make you a list if you'd like. People got this "stupid" idea because a lot of their favorite shows by Madhouse weren't getting sequels. It's not that hard to figure out. Rolling Eyes

In the end, a decent number of people know at this point that Studios rarely have a say in this kind of thing anyway, unless they happen to be on the production committee. And there are a billion reasons that something might not get a continuation that is outside of their control, like a lack of source material, production committees squabbling, etc. It's just an interesting statistic that a lot of people have noticed. Hence many people calling it a "curse", I imagine. I, for one, wish people would stop whining about it while totally misinterpreting it and taking it at face value.

My favorite show got no sequel =/= studio does nt make sequels. Black Lagoon for example just had no material for a sequel. Same goes to HOTD and a bunch of other shows.

Some other satudios simply decided not to take one despite production comitees desire to use the same stuff (i.e. like Brains Base with Durarara!).
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:49 am Reply with quote
Yes! Awesome news to start the day with.
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:52 am Reply with quote
This definitely has brought my spirits up after an exhausting work week. Couldn't have asked for a better series to get a second season.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Random Name

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:03 am Reply with quote
Now if they can just make a figure based off that badass picture my life would be complete
0nsen

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:32 am Reply with quote
Life is good.

Next Season 2 for No Game No Life and Mahouka!
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:13 am Reply with quote
@Kon'Doriano I'm amenable to leaving the subject behind us, here or elsewhere, though I continue to find it disagreeable.
Tenebrae

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:41 am Reply with quote
Wohoo! I enjoyed the first season quite a bit. One of those shows that takes a well-worn, formulaic premise and does something good from it.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:44 am Reply with quote
I thought season one had a fun premise but was ultimately very dull. Still, I'll probably get bored and check out an episode or two of the upcoming season. I guess worse shows could've been renewed. Razz
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:02 am Reply with quote
Cool. I enjoyed the first season. Although, I think it would be more fun if Overlord went The Devil is a Part-timer! route and had Momonga return to the real world still looking like Ains Ooal Gown and then having to get a job as a Wal-mart greeter.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:03 am Reply with quote
^At least in Devil is a Part-Timer he didn't LOOK like a skeleton. I can't imagine this guy being very effective in customer service given his looks. Laughing

Nachtwandler wrote:

My favorite show got no sequel =/= studio does nt make sequels. Black Lagoon for example just had no material for a sequel. Same goes to HOTD and a bunch of other shows.

Some other satudios simply decided not to take one despite production comitees desire to use the same stuff (i.e. like Brains Base with Durarara!).

Which is why it is a "saying", a "meme", a "curse", an industry joke. It's not "Madhouse has never made and will never make a sequel ever", it's, as I previously stated, people noticing a trend based on probability/statistics and having a little fun with it. Sure some people take it 100% seriously, but not most people. Unless they really have never done any research on the industry, it would be absurd to think that they've never made a sequel since 1972. I just don't understand how someone could still see this and say, "Wait a second Madhouse has done sequels before! Your meme doesn't make sense and guys are all stupid!" That's totally missing the point!
I'm sure plenty of people have broken mirrors and never gotten 7 years of bad luck either, but it's still something that people mention when it happens.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:16 am Reply with quote
While I have not watched the series yet, Chris Guerrero is probably really happy to hear this.
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:22 am Reply with quote
I have yet to watch this series, but the premise has always intrigued me. Now that this second season has been announced, it gives me a good enough reason to check it out. I'm really looking forward to it.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Mitrospeed wrote:
I hope you people realize that it is nowhere confirmed to be produced by Madhouse. In fact there is a good chance it might have been given to someone else much like the Mahouka movie was. So yeah let's not get ahead of ourselves.

probably stuido NUT
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4