• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
No. 6 (TV).

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:02 pm Reply with quote
No. 6 Available on Crunchyroll for those in the U.S. and Canada.

Wikipedia's Plot Summary wrote:

The story takes place in an ideal city known as the "Holy City". Shion, a boy raised in the elite and privileged environment of his home, gives shelter to another boy, who only gives his name as 'Nezumi', during the former's 12th birthday. After spending a rainy night with his new friend, Shion discovers the next morning that Nezumi has left and disappeared without a trace. 4 years later, Shion experiences a spate of incidents around him in which a deadly infection by parasitic bees leaves its victims to age rapidly. Not willing to be confined inside an adjustment facility for the rest of his life, he decides to run away from the city, and to the slum-filled West Block, where he meets Nezumi once again

Opening Theme:
"Spell" by Lama
Ending Theme:
"Rokutousei no Yoru" by Aimer

Episodes: 11

Episode 1
: (contains few spoilers)

No. 6 is beautifully animated by the studio BONES. the amount detail is just very nice to look at and amazing . The first doesn't give out much information on the characters but reveals two major characters - A boy who goes by the name "Mouse" (Nezumi) who is being seek by the Ministry of Peace and an excelling student, Shion. There isn't much to say about the series besides the fact that it is very nice to look at and leaves you craving for more. With the little information given off by Mouse, one can piece together that the city or section, No. 6, feels like a "dystopia". There appears to be more behind the scenes than the elites know of. As Zac mentioned in his review, No. 6's society appears have a caste system. This little information leaves you craving for the next episode or at least a little more about the setting.

Last edited by EmbraceMe on Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
stinknasty344

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:17 am Reply with quote
Ehh, I'm getting a weird vibe from this one so far. Which is kind of a shame since BONES is my favorite animation company. Hopefully it get s better.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:53 am Reply with quote
I liked the first eppie, but this isn't going to turn into some BL wankfest, is it?
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:06 am Reply with quote
I have not yet found an anime sci-fi title I have really liked. About the closest is Martian Successor Nadesico, but that is closer to Hitchhikers that real sci-fi. No. 6 might be the first, but I'm not sold on it yet. There's still too much that could go wrong (like how the last Dystopia anime I watched, Shangri-La, completely fell apart at the end and became needlessly messianic) but it has promise. Two things stood out. First, the trees shaking in the wind at the start was absolutely beautiful. Some of the best animation I've seen in a while. Secondly, I think Shion might be a homosex. He is confused by a kiss from a girl but falls asleep holding another dude's hand. Not that there's anything wrong with that. Well, it's his mother fault for giving him a girl's name anyway. Plus, I like the Charlie Brown shirts.

/You know in Arakawa Under the Bridge, when Hoshi is grilling Recruit about his relationship to Nino, and after he learns that Rec hasn't done anything yet, he makes this face and asks, "Are you a homo?" That was my expression at the whole fever scene.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:33 am Reply with quote
Laughing Nice!
stinknasty344

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Oh God good, didn't want to be the first one today it, but there definitely seems to be some homo tension in that first episode. Not like I have anything against that kind of sort of thing, I just would rather not watch an anime about it. I mean even at the end credits,spoiler[that seemed a little iffy there. The kid also got all nervous and blushed around him, and the other girl was basically saying she liked him but nothing]

Which is why I have to see if this is going down the classic "good pals" route or something else.
kimbeey13

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:14 pm Reply with quote
I just watched the first episode and felt like it was a good introduction to the series. I was expecting them to jump right it, but it was nice to get a bit of background on the characters first. I can see where everyone is coming with the yaoi vibes, I'm a yaoi fan myself, but right now I think it's just do their age and like of experience in that area. I'm looking forward to finding out where they are headed with this series.
SethMosrite

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:34 am Reply with quote
I don't think I would classify No. 6 as a dystopian society at this point.

Also I get the sneaking suspicion I'm being tricked into watching a BL series.
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:37 am Reply with quote
The first episode got me curious! It made me think of Ghost Hound,
with the character design, and the 'levitating' vision at the beginning of the episode.

The animation is really eye pleasing, I quite fancy the futuristic setting, I am also wondering where this 'friendship' will be going. I did not really see a lot of homoerotic tension, but who knows.

I hope they wont spoil it, the beginning seemed quite promising.

I was not really drawn by the opening and ending,
Metaflux

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:33 am Reply with quote
Just finished the first episode and I liked it, even if it does take a BL direction. If it does go that way though I hope they don't ride it but rather maintain the quality in other areas (Ex: believable characters, decent development, solid plot).
stinknasty344

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:55 am Reply with quote
I can't help but feel like I'm being duped, but I'm biting. As long as it's not overly flowing with BL in it I'll be fine with it. Implied but not shown is cool too, hopefully it has a good story, it seems interesting so far.
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:04 pm Reply with quote
I kind of want to sit the director of Fractale down in front of this and say "this is how you make a goddamn dystopia story".

This is easily my favourite show of the season, based largely on the fact that OMG SO PRETTY. That dream sequence at the start? Damn.

I like how the city has a sort of European vibe to it, since most dystopias go with the usual "grim monolithic metropolis" thing (It actually looks kind of like London, with the flood gates and the big Gherkin-shaped building).

As for the BL overtones, I assumed from the minute I saw the artwork that that's what this was going to be. I mean come on, an angsty dark-haired guy and a shy blonde guy?

I hope it does go that direction. I've never actually watched an anime series with a gay romance in it, and it doesn't look like it's trying to appeal to the squealing yaoi fangirls.
jsc315

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:11 pm Reply with quote
I dont have a problem with the yaoi stuff in anime as long as it's not perverted and stupid. If it's done tasteful and realistic then it wont bother me in the least.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Melanchthon wrote:
Secondly, I think Shion might be a homosex. He is confused by a kiss from a girl but falls asleep holding another dude's hand

You sure seem to have a restricted notion of what a 12 year old boy's reactions might be like. A genius boy brought up in a very gentle environment and no apparent reason to be inhibited. Insight: A kiss from a girl he's known for years who has never kissed him before would be naturally unexpected. News flash: bonding is not sex.

Come to think of it, I recall falling asleep several times with boy friends at an age I was not particularly interested in girls. We had arms around each other and everything. I must be gay. Dang. For four decades I been doing it wrong.
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:54 am Reply with quote
^ All of that is true, but keep in mind we're dealing with a fictional story here. In fiction, a character acting the way Shion does is usually foreshadowing something.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 12