• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
One Piece Manga V.s. One Piece Anime

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Namia_the_Theif_18

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:11 pm Reply with quote
I'm reading the manga for One Piece and I'm watching the orginial japanese show and I think that they are both pretty intresing. So, the question is: Do you like it yourself? I wanna know what you think! Smile
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Namia_the_Theif_18 wrote:
I'm reading the manga for One Piece and I'm watching the orginial japanese show and I think that they are both pretty intresing. So, the question is: Do you like it yourself? I wanna know what you think! Smile

I think that you would want to tell us first before we carry on this conversation. That's how we do things here at ANN.
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Here's my ranking.

1. One Piece Manga > 2. One Piece Anime = 4Kids Anime > 3. Nothing > 4. English Manga

Notes:

1. The OP manga in Japanese is excellent, a curious blend of various genres with a lot interesting word-play and fresh, unique spontaneous inventions. OP seems like the brainchild of an entire corporation, yet it was only written by one person.
2. The 4Kids anime, while maintaining exceptionally poor production values and miscasts for voice acting, emulates a comparable amount of "energy" from the OP manga. The original Japanese anime, which also has poor production values yet a (relatively) excelleng vocal cast, treats One Piece like a serious shounen along the lines of Bleach or Naruto; heck, I found the OP anime to be *more* serious than Bleach or Naruto! Such creates a mental dichotomy since Westerners have sterotypes of cartoon depictions, thus stimulating disgust at the show.
3. It's better to have never heard of OP than to have read the VIZ Media manga.
4. A rotten, boiling concoction tbat selects elements from all of the aforementioned and blends them together; not only are the poor production values amplified by the careless proofreading, translation omissions and inaccuracies, and arsininely simple dialogue (punctuated with "cool" pseudo-swears), the haphazard editing resulted in a product more simmilar to the OP anime rather than the OP manga.
jak000012

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:54 pm Reply with quote
i love the anime, but i havnt read the manga
Gage

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I think that you would want to tell us first before we carry on this conversation. That's how we do things here at ANN.

Take a look at that jak000012. You simply stated that you like the anime series which means you must have not followed directions given both in Teh Rules and in the above quote. Not to mention this rule has been repeated so many times throughout the forum. You need to also carry on your post with some reasons or "intelligence".

So just to advise you that is what needs to be done. Just remember that next time. There has been a current thread posted in regards to people not really reading threads. So maybe you did read the thread and the rules but went against them in a way but in this case, it's hard for the moderators to know weather you did or didn't. Well, I'll let the moderators do this type of job because, well, it's not my position. Sorry Tony. Razz
Shonen Bat

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:10 pm Reply with quote
In my opinion, both are very, very good(Not counting the 4kids' dub). The anime and manga both have their share of funny and sad moments. The manga I got into during the Baratie Arc. I think that the One PIece anime and manga are on par with each other. To me, the chracters are very lifelike and even the minor characters have a past to them. The stories can, at one point, be hilarious and at the next, be kind of depressing. That's why One Piece is my favorite series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bennyb

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:58 am Reply with quote
Both are excellent. Things are a little more drawn out and there are fillers in the anime, but it's the compromise for having music color and fluent animation. Voice actors are some of my favorites but I still like OP manga the best because it's the original artwork.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:16 pm Reply with quote
The manga is one of the best I have ever read with it's storylines, detailed backgrounds, and overall great characters. And the emotions behind each characters stories makes me want to read the series over and over again. That's why it is ranked #1 in my manga that I have read.
In the case of the anime, I'll pretend that the 4Kids anime never happened. The anime follows the manga series somewhat faithfully, with fillers here and there, but nothing too extensive. Still, I think the manga proves itself to be one of the best and in my mind is better than the anime.
zabiren52

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:34 pm Reply with quote
well i have read both the manga and seen the 4kids dub and i gotta say viz has the better translation and does better respect to the original japanese version so i like the manga better
EmDiPi_Micke

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:46 pm Reply with quote
the manga is way better than the anime, clearly.

I hated the first OP, which scared me off. After like 15 eps I though "gah, I'll read the manga instead, sigh". Unfortunately, I told everyone at school that I watched One Piece as an anime and that I wasn't reading it like everybody else. Huge mistake. People wanted to talk about the anime for like a year - asking everything and they just wouldn't learn the fact that I didn't watch the anime.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:07 pm Reply with quote
EmDiPi_Micke wrote:
I hated the first OP, which scared me off. After like 15 eps I though "gah, I'll read the manga instead, sigh". Unfortunately, I told everyone at school that I watched One Piece as an anime and that I wasn't reading it like everybody else. Huge mistake. People wanted to talk about the anime for like a year - asking everything and they just wouldn't learn the fact that I didn't watch the anime.

Was the 4Kids dub, or Japanese language. Because you'd enjoy the Japanese version A LOT better than the 4Kids dub.
EmDiPi_Micke

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:49 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
EmDiPi_Micke wrote:

Was the 4Kids dub, or Japanese language. Because you'd enjoy the Japanese version A LOT better than the 4Kids dub.

It was the Japanese version. Usually, I prefer the one I first saw/read - so, since I read the manga first, I'll prefer the manga. Kind of simple minded, I know, but that's just a way to don't waste time on stuff.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:53 pm Reply with quote
EmDiPi_Micke wrote:
It was the Japanese version. Usually, I prefer the one I first saw/read - so, since I read the manga first, I'll prefer the manga. Kind of simple minded, I know, but that's just a way to don't waste time on stuff.

Really? It was the anime I saw first that got interested in the series, and then I started reading the manga. I don't think that the Japanese version isn't all too bad.
EmDiPi_Micke

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:39 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
EmDiPi_Micke wrote:

Really? It was the anime I saw first that got interested in the series, and then I started reading the manga. I don't think that the Japanese version isn't all too bad.

Meh, maybe I should've watched more. But it's just a matter of taste.
GoodLuckSaturday

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:22 pm Reply with quote
EmDiPi_Micke wrote:
fighterholic wrote:

Meh, maybe I should've watched more. But it's just a matter of taste.

I started with the manga myself, but when I started watching the anime, I had to pretty much skip through most of the first 20 episodes. I think the anime is really boring until it reaches Baratie. The latest Japanese episodes have really impressed me though. I was in tears for the entire of episode 277 and while I think Enies Lobby generally lacks compared to the events in Water 7, the anime has done a great job of letting me come to appreciate the Enies Lobby portion of the story arc.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3