• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Responds to Drop in Video Quality, Plans to Re-Encode Catalog

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xiximaro

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:47 am Reply with quote
They reach a million subscribers, if the money wasn't enough, they cut quality... it's the perfect definition of greedy capitalism.
They get caught... "Oh, it was only a test!" Funny thing they don't mention was, when somebody noticed the drop on quality and made the good action of reporting to CR support, they would get the reply along the lines “any problems are because of your internet connection.” wtf...
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:06 pm Reply with quote
That last part was because the PR guys weren't even informed about all this, so it caught them by surprise when the issue blew out.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:31 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
For Funimation, you seem to have glossed over a salient issue. Saying aside from apps breaking, it's better is akin to saying "Other than breaking down frequently, my car is faster than yours." If it doesn't go, that doesn't matter! Better video quality is meaningless if you can't watch the video. Aside from that, I can't imagine Funi has nearly as many subscribers as CR, especially since the CR-Funi Pact which probably lead to some subscribers who are looking for subbed content to drop their subscription, like myself, after the number of exclusive subbed simulcasts they get decreased to only a few a season.

So if those are the standards for quality of service (both the product itself and customer service/relations) I dare say CR is better serving their customers than Amazon or Funi at least. They need to improve it certainly but relative to those competitors, I'm more satisfied.

They've each all had their own issues from time to time but for me Funi's service has been on a really good improvement run. I hadn't had any recent problems watching on my PC or with Funi's recent PS4 app (don't watch on my phone so I don't know about their newly redone phone apps) and I haven't had any video problems recently so with how they've expanded so that they are adding new dubbed shows all the time just like CR is for sub watchers I find that they've been doing a really good job. Sure, CR gets some more shows on top of that but I think Funi's subscription base is growing as well due to the amount of stuff broadcast per season in dub form expanding as well.

So I wouldn't be surprised if they've both benefited. While Funi may have lost some subscribers (particularly from the sub-only subscription) they also may have gained new subscribers since that deal resulted in them picking up even more shows and they have a lot of dub watchers. Plus the deal purposefully coincided with their ability to further ramp up work on simuldubs. For example, this season both Attack on Titan and My Hero Academia S2 are going to be airing pretty much both dub and sub at the same time, so even dub fans who might have subscribed to both and gotten a few months of CR just to get to watch early (or at the same time when Funi had subs) no longer need to since the dub will be coming out as the show is airing, even the same day.

Hopefully CR will indeed fix this since I'm ultimately likely to subscribe to both tho.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8