• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Responds to Drop in Video Quality, Plans to Re-Encode Catalog

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sirdano1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Daizo wrote:

Maybe because CR's statement doesn't actually address a lot of the issues it brings up?

Or maybe it's because no one outside of 4chan cares about you?
moonshine101

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:01 pm Reply with quote
GuruBuckaroo wrote:
I've worked in IT for 30 years. Nobody ever talks about IT when things are working, or improvements roll out successfully. Only when they break. And IT departments are always underfunded, because they aren't (generally) income-generating departments. This is just more of the same.

This is so true. I've been in IT for 8 years now from a Helpdesk Officer to now a network administrator working in both government, private and the banking industry. One thing IT across all Industry has is 1. Retards 2. Underfunded 3. No-one cares until something breaks 4. Increasing demands without support 5. Underpaid for the hours we put in at the office and out of hours.

Although this is disappointing that they clearly don't test in the test environment with DR, the fact remains that I'm sure that execs do not want to spend money on the improvement on CR which is why it uses the adobe plugin which has major security flaws and not upgrading their site to HTML5 friendly like every other content provider these days.

I am so sick of morons, like the guy earlier who posted about his major in IT who literally know nothing about IT and talk like they do. IT people have one of the hardest careers across all industries because PEOPLE DO NOT SEE NOR CARE WHAT WE DO THEY JUST WANT IT TO WORK AT THE CLICK OF THE FINGERS. This is why I am moving away from IT, it is shithouse. I feel sorry for the CR IT staff.
Pierrot.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Apparently they've been doing this since last year.

https://mobile.twitter.com/herkzzz/status/770442062378438656

Shady.
Waraich

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Please know that it will never be Crunchyroll's intention to lessen the viewing experience

LOL Sure thats why you have the lowest bitrate in the industry.. Pirate sites offer higher bitrates.
sailorsweeper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Namely, sometimes I can't even get a viewing pane for a video ... it's just a pure white field where the viewing pane should be.

I had this problem for weeks not just on weekends which is annoying since it means I have to watch it on TV instead.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:26 pm Reply with quote
I honestly don't notice a decline in the quality because I don't pay enough attention to see the declining graphics. Now, Funimation's video player working on my computer here is another story.
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:43 pm Reply with quote
I didn't notice any real difference a few glitches when I switch over to the HTML5 player that Crunchyroll is beta testing but other than that nothing really noticeable as far as I can tell.
Haterater

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Feared things could go a sour route when they fired the engineers that's been with them in exchanged for cheaper ones. Will be on guard even more so, but do want them to turn themselves around.
Pierrot.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Lmao at Zac's take on this issue.

https://mobile.twitter.com/i/web/status/841683097955516416

" I do expect something that looks reasonably like HD video, and I'm still getting that."

Videos with low bitrate aren't HD. Laughing
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:09 pm Reply with quote
For people just saying the poster of the article about them is just some fansubber, if you're paying for the higher quality Crunchyroll streams you should want them to be a good video encode, after all, they're paying for it! They aren't me, someone who just uses the free account with ads, Video streaming quality doesn't bother me as much because I'm not paying for it to be high quality, and if I like something, I'll get a physical copy of it.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Daizo wrote:

Maybe because CR's statement doesn't actually address a lot of the issues it brings up?

Companies rarely address poorly written accusatory rants.
CatSword

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:16 pm Reply with quote
I thought that I wasn't a video snob until I saw what CR was trying to pass off as HD through Daiz's screenshot. The Konosuba one reminded me of Game Boy Video, which is not good for any streaming service.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Wow, sad to have ever clicked on some of the links in this thread. People who want to justify their piracy sure take things a little too seriously. If ever someone struck me as living in their parents basement, it's the kind of people hanging out in those threads. Rolling Eyes

Last edited by relyat08 on Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Pierrot. wrote:
Lmao at Zac's take on this issue.

https://mobile.twitter.com/i/web/status/841683097955516416

" I do expect something that looks reasonably like HD video, and I'm still getting that."

Videos with low bitrate aren't HD. Laughing

Laugh all you want man, i stand by that response as pretty reasonable.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:54 pm Reply with quote
For those asserting CR and service providers in general should notify of changes, the reason they don't and shouldn't (unless something goes noticeably wrong) is that people would start complaining that there were problems even if there objectively weren't any. People see what they expect and a change can (and sometimes does) mean problems.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8