• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Responds to Drop in Video Quality, Plans to Re-Encode Catalog

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Eh, I've never been one to be able to notice changes in video quality unless they are pretty dramatic. For example, I did not notice any difference in CR's video quality.

See, they're hoping that most of their customers are you: unaware and uncaring. That's why they'd attempt to save money on bandwidth despite record subscriptions. Basically all streaming platforms are kind of crappy, maybe except YouTube, but they have more people and money and tech any of the smaller players.

I'd say I have pretty shitty internet compared to most (in the first world), but there's really no reason to be worried about saving on bandwidth on your end. I've never been much of a fan of encoding to get a desired filesize rather than just letting it be whatever it needs to for a good image.
Renasviel

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:03 am Reply with quote
Egan Loo wrote:

Ohh boy, we're doing this are we?

This article literally only contains what Crunchyroll has to say on the matter. Let's not pretend like this was some hot piece that was in the works since people were aware of the issue. No, this literally just gives Crunchyroll a further platform to air their PR-bullshit. It might as well say "hey guys, look, Crunchyroll responded to that thing that's getting discussed!" and be done with it.

You don't have to take my word for this. Go and look at the article. The first paragraph just explains that they provided a statement. The main body is the statement. One line at the end discusses the issue outside of the statement crunchyroll provided, and they don't even get that right. Sure, they link to two forum threads (but curiously, not the main article that inspired them), referred to the issue as "claims" and "some episodes". They were not claims, they were facts, and they were more than just "some episodes" too. And er, that's it.

So no. Nothing about this article says to me that they would talk about this before Crunchyroll made a statement - because the article quite literally is only concerning the statement. They haven't actually addressed the issue at all.

You then link me to a series of articles, yet two date from 2009, and the latest dates from 2011 - nearly 6 years ago. I'm sure I don't need to point out Crunchyroll are a pretty different company from the one we had 6 years ago now, in fact, the whole streaming service industry is vastly different in general. None of that refutes my point that ANN (who have also declined considerably over that time period) would perhaps not call out Crunchyroll if Crunchyroll had decided to completely brush it under the rug.

Because, er, that's exactly what Crunchyroll tried to do initially. It took them over 3 days to respond with this statement, but their initial plan was to just change the episode that people were pointing to without comment. And then they had their PR claim that the issue was fixed after they did so. This is all available to see on that reddit thread I'm sure you have come across. After people did more research into it, they found it really was multiple videos, and obviously they couldn't just retroactively fix them all then. But I don't see any ANN article about it. I don't see anything on ANN that even points this out. So I even have fact on my side here. That, I think, is a little more compelling than a handful of articles, the newest one being nearly 6 years old, of them "calling out" Crunchyroll.
Thorfinn

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:08 am Reply with quote
Lol, look at all these people defending CR, even if they've been doing this shady stuff for months. I knew ANN would hesitate to write about this since they are CR shills and they would't want to make their parter to look bad. Continue defending your precious CR service, because it's even funnier to think about it knowing they've been giving their paying users worse quality than pirate services for such a long time. I do still pefer CR over Funimation, but as far as I'm concerned, they are both trash and could be better.
Wingbeats

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:10 am Reply with quote
Even if CR was streaming in SD video for everyone, I'd still honestly rather give anime creators my money so they can make more anime.

I don't really notice anything, though.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:12 am Reply with quote
Unfortunately, Renasviel, this doesn't "affect" a lot of the users on Crunchyroll because a lot them are free subscribers, this mainly affecting people who pay for Crunchyroll. And if you're not a videophile who scrutinizes video quality, encoding changes won't be noticed by the average Crunchyroll user or free subscriber.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:39 am Reply with quote
My CR service (premium member) the last week has been stop and go, mostly stop! As of this post, it only has occasional pauses so I think the problems have been with streaming data transfer and not resolution. I hadn't noticed any resolution change or encode artifacts previously.
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:44 am Reply with quote
Renasviel wrote:

You then link me to a series of articles, yet two date from 2009, and the latest dates from 2011 - nearly 6 years ago. I'm sure I don't need to point out Crunchyroll are a pretty different company from the one we had 6 years ago now, in fact, the whole streaming service industry is vastly different in general. None of that refutes my point that ANN (who have also declined considerably over that time period) would perhaps not call out Crunchyroll if Crunchyroll had decided to completely brush it under the rug.

As noted in the message, the links above were for articles ANN posted when the companies did not (initially) respond to requests for comment, not a list of ANN's articles on Crunchyroll issues. Here are some of the other recent articles that ANN posted about Crunchyroll's issues.

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-02-24/cloudflare-web-service-error-leaks-website-data-anime-manga-companies-respond/.112669
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-01-19/crunchyroll-parent-company-ellation-lays-off-17-employees/.111220
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-12-30/crunchyroll-streaming-service-down-amid-ddos-attack/.82769
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-04-17/crunchyroll-streams-of-phi-brain-put-on-hold
jesusalcala11

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:50 am Reply with quote
Wingbeats wrote:
Even if CR was streaming in SD video for everyone, I'd still honestly rather give anime creators my money so they can make more anime.

I don't really notice anything, though.

On your first point, you can support anime without supporting Crunchyroll by buying DVDs and Blu-Rays. But I assume that you are not subscribed to them to only support creators.

On your second point, I think most people don't notice or care, which is why Crunchyroll has grown to 1 million subscribers even though they offered sub-optimal video before this report.
configspace

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:53 am Reply with quote
As a paying subscriber I can understand both sides of the story.

On the one hand they want to immediately address the infrastructure issues that are very apparent in trying to serve HD to many simultaneous users because a lot of people are not having a good streaming experience.

On the other hand, the irony is that the reduction on bitrate/filesize STILL doesn't solve the bandwidth issues. Really, they just need greater capacity or bigger CDN.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:54 am Reply with quote
As a long time reader here, I'm quite disappointed in ANN. There's simply no excuse for providing a service lower quality than what existed before. As an anime industry news site, one would have expected a report on this issue when it was making the rounds and perhaps inquire from Crunchyroll a comment on this issue but nothing of that sort happened.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:29 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:

On the one hand they want to immediately address the infrastructure issues that are very apparent in trying to serve HD to many simultaneous users because a lot of people are not having a good streaming experience.

On the other hand, the irony is that the reduction on bitrate/filesize STILL doesn't solve the bandwidth issues. Really, they just need greater capacity or bigger CDN.

If lowering the birthrate doesn't fix it, they should get more capacity and bigger CDN.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:32 am Reply with quote
Yeah I didn't notice anything dramatic either. Those who more thoroughly scrutinize obviously did and if they want to complain, by all means.

But I do take exception to the idea that those of us who don't see the problem (literally) are somehow being "duped" by CR into taking an clearly inferior product. To the average user, it wasn't perceptibly different from before, and frankly it probably won't be noticed by most users if and when the issue is resolved. This isn't because we are marks being had, it is because you have to actively look at such things, and most people aren't. They're just trying to watch the show. Of course for those who do look at these things very intently, it must be awful but know that for many, it isn't an issue. Not to say that you are wrong to take issue with it, just don't pretend you are doing so for our sake too.
Pierrot.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:38 am Reply with quote
If they're paying subscribers then they have every right to take issue with this whether it's for others sake or not.
mglittlerobin wrote:
configspace wrote:

If lowering the birthrate doesn't fix it, they should get more capacity and bigger CDN.

Surely you mean bitrate?
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:48 am Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
Yeah I didn't notice anything dramatic either. Those who more thoroughly scrutinize obviously did and if they want to complain, by all means.

But I do take exception to the idea that those of us who don't see the problem (literally) are somehow being "duped" by CR into taking an clearly inferior product. To the average user, it wasn't perceptibly different from before, and frankly it probably won't be noticed by most users if and when the issue is resolved. This isn't because we are marks being had, it is because you have to actively look at such things, and most people aren't. They're just trying to watch the show. Of course for those who do look at these things very intently, it must be awful but know that for many, it isn't an issue. Not to say that you are wrong to take issue with it, just don't pretend you are doing so for our sake too.

I sympathize wit the people who are irritated when they're paying for the higher quality streaming, but do I particularly care that the video was perfectly encoded? No, I would care more if this were a physical release. Even the Code Geass audio problem didn't bother me as much as everyone else, but I still contacted ANN with the story because Funimation wasn't doing anything about it, even though I asked them about the issue and they insisted there wasn't a problem.

People got mad at me on my YouTube channel about it, so I watched some videos and then sent the videos to ANN even though this problem didn't affect me.

While some people are really upset about this issue, they need to understand that some people aren't going to be upset about video encoding because it doesn't affect their viewing experience on Crunchyroll.
Millhi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:59 am Reply with quote
Cr updated their statement so you might want to edit the news post to reflect that change.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8