• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Responds to Drop in Video Quality, Plans to Re-Encode Catalog

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:00 am Reply with quote
Pierrot. wrote:

mglittlerobin wrote:

If lowering the birthrate doesn't fix it, they should get more capacity and bigger CDN.

Surely you mean bitrate?

No, clearly this thread has stumbled upon Crunchyroll's TRUE evil objective.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:36 am Reply with quote
Pierrot. wrote:
Lmao at Zac's take on this issue.

https://mobile.twitter.com/i/web/status/841683097955516416

" I do expect something that looks reasonably like HD video, and I'm still getting that."

Videos with low bitrate aren't HD. Laughing
If bitrate is what defines HD-ness, can I encode a VHS capture in 320x240 at 35000 kbps and call it HD then?

ScruffyKiwi wrote:
Also curious that you [Daiz] fail to mention in your 'exposé' that you're a fansubber with an ax to grind!
If any fansubbers have an ax to grind against CR, it's the old-school/traditional fansubbers that translated everything from scratch via the audio and closed captions. They're the ones who lost out on download numbers and viewer attention when direct CR rips from HorribleSubs and groups that did edits of CR subs on different encodes came out faster and outcompeted them. And I think anyone knowledgeable about the downloadable anime release-group scene knows which category Daiz is or was involved with.

Waraich wrote:
LOL Sure thats why you have the lowest bitrate in the industry.. Pirate sites offer higher bitrates.
Most pirate sites just re-encode the direct CR rips at lower bitrates. So at least prior to these developments, bootleg streaming sites have always had worse quality than CR, even before adding watermarks and hardsub compression artifacts.
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:56 am Reply with quote
So Crunchyroll is the devil and ANN is their right hand man. Yeah, yeah. Got it. Rolling Eyes

I noted the difference and the first thing I honestly thought was that they were going through a transition and things would be back to normal in the near future(also, hey, at least it's still way better than Funi). I guess that level of relaxation is impossible for some people. Pirates prove yet again that they suffer from arrested development and probably some major anger issues as well. Seriously though, some people need to chill out a little. Reading some of the comments on twitter and reddit made me scared to ever meet these people in real life.
Pierrot.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:57 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Pierrot. wrote:
Lmao at Zac's take on this issue.

https://mobile.twitter.com/i/web/status/841683097955516416

" I do expect something that looks reasonably like HD video, and I'm still getting that."

Videos with low bitrate aren't HD. Laughing
If bitrate is what defines HD-ness, can I encode a VHS capture in 320x240 at 35000 kbps and call it HD then?

I never said a bitrate defines HD-ness only. A video can still be considered HD with 1920x1080 resolution but the video quality will still look bad if the bitrate is low.
Galap

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:57 am Reply with quote
Huh.

Gotta say, I was never a huge fan of crunchyroll's video quality: It's usually quite juddery for me in terms of the motion, which is what I care about the most.

As someone who's done some encoding before, it's the kind of thing where it's easy to think you know what you're doing with it when you really don't. I bet if they were more intelligent about encoding settings and the like they could save on file sizes without a noticeable quality decrease. Now, that's just speculation on my part since I don't know exactly how they're encoding their videos, but like I said, it's an area where it's easy for you to think you know everything when you don't.

This all said, In general I do like crunchyroll quite a bit and definitely prefer the current state of affairs in comparison to the great fansub era, which was riddled with annoying text effects, bad translations/TL notes, and often really bad encoding. Of course there were a lot of groups that were VERY good about a lot of things, but for a given show, especially a less popular one, you got what you got. Nowadays there's at least some standard of quality.

Last edited by Galap on Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Pierrot.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:08 am Reply with quote
Huh apparently it was an honest mistake (not my words) and the issue has been on going for months. All the attention it got recently just prompted them to fix the problem sooner. Still no excuse for them to keep this quiet for so long.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:06 am Reply with quote
Translation: We honestly didn't think anyone would notice, but now that we got busted we're going to pretened we want to fix this even though we don't have a choice.

To anyone defending CR as is they had made an honst misake or that they were trying a new system: then explain why most of their old catalogue has been replaced with lower quality encodes FOR THE PAST YEAR. This isn't an isolated incident they've been doing this crap for a long time and they just now got caught.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:36 am Reply with quote
I honestly didn't expect CR to respond to this, and given the majority of the responses I've seen here and on CR itself, they would have been better off not doing so.

It is interesting that many are saying the catalog titles had been re-encoded at the lower bitrate for months, but oddly no one noticed until a simulcast episode caught someone's attention and they investigated. Then most of these same people proclaim the problem as noticeably degrading the video quality (despite the fact they didn't notice).

Waraich wrote:

LOL Sure thats why you have the lowest bitrate in the industry.. Pirate sites offer higher bitrates.

It is easy to offer higher bitrates when you're not having to pay the bandwidth bill. Unless things have changed drastically from when I quit viewing fansubs, pirate sites rarely host their own videos, preferring instead to place them on whatever free service they can. (Sometimes multiple ones, in the event one gets taken down).
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:52 am Reply with quote
As for their promise that they will "update" their back catalogue (which was fine to begin with untill the downgraded it), I advise anyone who unsubscribe to not subscribe back untill they actually make good on their promise. Otherwise they most likely won't and give some BS excuse that the new infrastucture isn't complete. Well... they will probably do that anyway.
Catseyetiger

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:59 am Reply with quote
Honesty I like CR as a service but they claim 1080 p if you pay for the service and either need to explain in writing limited time only after release and lower video quality is the normal experience on older titles maintained in catalog or it really sounds bait and switch to me.
Pierrot.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:48 am Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
Then most of these same people proclaim the problem as noticeably degrading the video quality (despite the fact they didn't notice).

Except they did notice it. They even informed the CR staff.
https://mobile.twitter.com/herkzzz/status/770442062378438656
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:23 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Blood- wrote:
Eh, I've never been one to be able to notice changes in video quality unless they are pretty dramatic. For example, I did not notice any difference in CR's video quality.

See, they're hoping that most of their customers are you: unaware and uncaring

I'd characterize myself as "unaffected." First, in some of the comparisons, I didn't see much of difference in quality. Besides which, it's one thing to do a side by side still comparison, it's another thing to be watching a moving image where there is no side by side comparison to be had. I assume if CR wants to provide the level of visual quality that some of the "there's a pea under my 16th mattress!" Princesses out there demand, my subscription fee would go up. I'm happy with the visual quality I'm getting for the price I'm paying. I can, however, do without the white field of nothingness that I mentioned earlier.
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:36 am Reply with quote
Watch most stuff in SD anyway.
Chester McCool

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:33 am Reply with quote
I don't really use CR, but it does seem a bit of "Oops, we got caught"
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:49 am Reply with quote
Egan Loo wrote:
Most of ANN's news staff is in Japan.

1. Isn't most of the ANN team based out of California?
2. Isn't CrunchyRoll (primarily) based out of California?
3. In light of point 2, what POSSIBLE reason is there for ANN staff being in Japan being a "positive" for reporting on CR (especially in regards to network issues, which EVEN if they were operating out of Japan would likely be farmed to a datacenter in the US if only for network traffic reasons)?
4. I've been a CR subscriber for years
5. As someone that watched fansubs on nth gen VHS tape, I haven't had any issue with video quality I've received
6. Before I got Google Fiber, getting RELIABLE streaming of the 1080 streams (and often the 720 streams) was difficult, so ANYONE complaining about not getting "full HD, super resolution experience" has #firstworldproblems in a wonderfully well connected area.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8