• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yu-Gi-Oh! VRAINS TV Anime Premieres in May in New Time Slot

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KH91

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Chester McCool wrote:
Im guessing Youtube comments are in English, so im mainly talking about the Japanese fans and ratings. In Japan the ranking is something like

TDSoD (manga canon) > DM > GX > Zexal >>>> 5Ds >>>> ARC-V

There you go.

Mr. Oshawott wrote:
Where did you find info about the unrevealed female character? Confused

It says it on the first sentence of the article. Blame ANN for not providing a scan (one of the many reasons ANN is not my #1 YGO source. lol). You can just go on twitter and search VRAINS. Wink

Last edited by KH91 on Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
1dbad

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:47 pm Reply with quote
April premieres have been the standard for the spin-offs for years now, so I'm shocked the premiere has been moved to May. But specials to build up to the new series does sounds neat.

As for the new characters... Aoi looks unusually plain for Yugioh. but I like her design. Her name suggests she's from a wealthy family. The new guy looks to be this series Gongenzaka, with his name suggesting masculinity and wickedness. (ogres, tombs, that sort of thing)
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Aoi is so disappointing. Such a plain, generic design for the franchise. Worst main girl, unless her VR form is super awesome. Hopefully the side girls look better
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:06 pm Reply with quote
KH91 wrote:
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
Where did you find info about the unrevealed female character? Confused

It says it on the first sentence of the article. Blame ANN for not providing a scan (one of the many reasons ANN is my #1 YGO source. lol). You can just go on twitter and search VRAINS. Wink

Thanks, I found the image.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:45 am Reply with quote
Southkaio wrote:
I guess that Yu-Gi-Oh! VRAINS' English version will be this time either a dub recorded in Los Angeles or it will be a mix of voice actors based in Los Angeles and Vancouver.

Why do you say that? While "Zexal" did have a LA-based dub (when 4kids was being sued over 5.5 years ago), it never really saw the light of day.
Ziko577

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:08 am Reply with quote
Chester McCool wrote:
ARCV was good. Emphasis on was. Standard arc was genuinely enjoyed. Once Synchro hit though the quality and fans started evaporating. By the end it quickly became the most hated Yu-Gi-Oh series, usurping 5D's slot. Main complaints being mishandling of legacy characters and the director, who previously was in charge of 5Ds, spending so much time on 5Ds stuff. Also the worst final villain/duel in the series.

Im guessing Youtube comments are in English, so im mainly talking about the Japanese fans and ratings. In Japan the ranking is something like

DM > GX > Zexal >>>> 5Ds >>>> ARC-V

Funfact: ARCV is one of the most lowest ranking series on NicoNicoDouga. But maybe Americans like it more. Either way, hopefully VRAINS succeeds and can pick up the fandom again.

Fans actually hated 5Ds in Japan?! I'm actually stunned as so far that's my favorite season though it did have some issues like the way some of the early arcs were handled with Yusei's personality being altered significantly, everyone getting radically different monster cards halfway through it's run (justified as Konami has to market their shit somehow), and the rather messed up ending with the final battle being Yusei vs. himself (Z-ONE is a future dystopian version of himself). I love it because of the monsters and characters and some of the fanart on my PC is from that season alone.
Blue Tactician

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Ziko577 wrote:
Chester McCool wrote:
ARCV was good. Emphasis on was. Standard arc was genuinely enjoyed. Once Synchro hit though the quality and fans started evaporating. By the end it quickly became the most hated Yu-Gi-Oh series, usurping 5D's slot. Main complaints being mishandling of legacy characters and the director, who previously was in charge of 5Ds, spending so much time on 5Ds stuff. Also the worst final villain/duel in the series.

Funfact: ARCV is one of the most lowest ranking series on NicoNicoDouga. But maybe Americans like it more. Either way, hopefully VRAINS succeeds and can pick up the fandom again.

Fans actually hated 5Ds in Japan?! I'm actually stunned as so far that's my favorite season though it did have some issues like the way some of the early arcs were handled with Yusei's personality being altered significantly, everyone getting radically different monster cards halfway through it's run (justified as Konami has to market their shit somehow), and the rather messed up ending with the final battle being Yusei vs. himself (Z-ONE is a future dystopian version of himself). I love it because of the monsters and characters and some of the fanart on my PC is from that season alone.

Z-ONE isnt future Yusei, altough I like to think that way. He is a engineer who copied his face/body to save the world in the future. I heard that 5ds isnt the way it was supposed to be and got rewrited during the airing.

And for Arc-V, I cant stand Yuya, the plot and the characters. Really, Everything brought by arc-v was a mess. The new mechanic is so broken, Yuya is so detestable, always getting depressed and by far the less carismatic protagonist. The whole show was so slow paced that I stopped watching it like 5 times.
Blue Tactician

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Ziko577 wrote:
Chester McCool wrote:

Z-ONE isnt future Yusei, altough I like to think that way. He is a engineer who copied his face/body to save the world in the future. I heard that 5ds isnt the way it was supposed to be and got rewrited during the airing.

And for Arc-V, I cant stand Yuya, the plot and the characters. Really, Everything brought by arc-v was a mess. The new mechanic is so broken, Yuya is so detestable, always getting depressed and by far the less carismatic protagonist. The whole show was so slow paced that I stopped watching it like 5 times.
Chester McCool

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Hate was probably the wrong word. Japanese fans were mildly indifferent to it. The only series hated was ARCV. Still, reruns of GX got better ratings than 5Ds In a character poll last year, the only ARCV character to make it was Shun at #13, which is quite bad.
1dbad

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:41 pm Reply with quote
It's a shame Arc-V has gone the way they did, considering just how strong of a first season it had. Even the most troubled Yugioh productions have managed to put out a solid final season, but Arc-V looks like it'll be the first to fail even doing that.

But in a strange sort of way, this makes me even more excited for VRains. This series has something to prove, so I'm expecting a much stronger (if not a bit "safer") effort this time around. Looking forward to seeing where it goes.
SilverSpades

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:54 am Reply with quote
A little sad about 5D's reaction in Japan. It's far and away my favorite series.

As for ARC-V, it's actually the only series I didn't watch, and I guess my tiny regret for not tuning in every week is slowly dying.

Hell, watched every ZEXAL episode except for the last duel, because I think the show got way too dark for its tone, and in the end everyone came back to life anyway.

Blue Tactician wrote:
I heard that 5ds isnt the way it was supposed to be and got rewrited during the airing.

A lot of the huge changes were done for two reasons; Carly's JPN VA was found to be part of a cult, so anything related to cults were removed or rewritten, and even omitted-- Sayer/Divine would have probably stuck around alongside the Arcadia Movement and there could have been an arc for Aki/Akiza dedicated to taking him down instead of him getting swallowed by the Earthbound Immortal, which would have been nice for her character seeing as how like every Yugioh female protagonist, she gets shafted in later episodes.

This could also explain why the show felt aimless in episodes 65-92 between the Dark Signers and WRGP arc, (sans Crash Town)

Also, Rua/Leo was the original 5th Signer and Crow was going to be a Dark Signer, but the popularity of Blackwings at the time made it the way it ended up.

Lot of the info here were taken from this vid https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwmDpYtE0F0
Southkaio

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
Why? Have 4K Media shutdown their New York production office?

Since 4Licensing went bankrupt again, I'm very sure that Yu-Gi-Oh! VRAINS will be either voiced in Los Angeles or it will be a mix of Los Angeles and the Ocean Group voice actors.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Southkaio wrote:
Since 4Licensing went bankrupt again...

Since when did 4Licensing became bankrupt? Perhaps ARC-V wasn't bringing them enough juice?
1dbad

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Southkaio wrote:
Since 4Licensing went bankrupt again, I'm very sure that Yu-Gi-Oh! VRAINS will be either voiced in Los Angeles or it will be a mix of Los Angeles and the Ocean Group voice actors.

4Kids Media went bankrupt, but I haven't heard anything about it happening to 4K Media. They had no problem dubbing Darkside of Dimensions and are still working on Arc-V, so it doesn't seem they're having any trouble.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:16 pm Reply with quote
The cult Carly's VA was in turned out to be mostly harmless and one of the few that are completely voluntary, it's weird but I expected much much worse, Happy Science seems worse than that, I don't think that justified many of the insane changes, that's not even in the realm of Happy Science much less the more demented ones like Jonestown.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2