• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Hidden Depths of Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TenCentFang

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:20 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
But regardless, you're actually helping to make my point, maybe inadvertently.

I wasn't really arguing against you or anyone else, just saying that there's equal, legitimate justification for a lot of views and they don't necessarily cancel each other out.

I don't wanna be all "calm down everyone the truth is in the middle", because that's a cringy stupid stance to take on everything, but everyone is always arguing if something is gross trash or an insightful masterpiece. People need to look at the big picture and realize why the other person feels the way they do. In the case of Dragon Maid, I know someone who I really wanted to show it to but decided on advising them against it because I knew they'd be too repulsed by the more questionable stuff despite how much I like it personally. There's no amount of arguing that's going to convince them to be able to just edit it out of their brains as they watch.

It's not 100% garbage but like, I get why people walk away with that feeling. To an extent, yes, some are being overdramatic, ie the whole milf-coded boondoggle, but ultimately it's Dragon Maid's fault when someone gets sick of it's lesser aspects that it's happy to have front and center.
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:27 am Reply with quote
JacobC wrote:
Cool-kyoushinja is definitely a straight dude. For reference, his previous work was "I Can't Understand What My Husband Is Saying," which is just about as adorable as Dragon Maid with a lot of similar character types. (The guy definitely has a thing for tig ol' bitties.) I have no idea if the guy is actually married or not, but the "husband" in the title is based on him. The wife as he's written her is very Kobayashi-like, and it wouldn't surprise me if she was actually someone he knows if not his actual wife or girlfriend because their relationship feels very natural, just like the relationships in Dragon Maid.

Can you source where the author said the guy in I Can't Understand What My Husband is Saying was based on him? I don't really doubt you, but I still haven't seen any kind of actual confirmation.. which is what's bugging me.

TenCentFang wrote:
snip

Yeah, I'm not really in either camp. I just like the show and see some merit in it. So do a lot of people, hence articles like this, which somewhat explain why some people might be liking it. That's kind of all my point is. I also just found uguu's bitter comments to be a bit unnecessarily hostile and trollish. Totally fine if they don't like the show, but their comments are a bit much.
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:09 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
JacobC wrote:
Cool-kyoushinja is definitely a straight dude. For reference, his previous work was "I Can't Understand What My Husband Is Saying," which is just about as adorable as Dragon Maid with a lot of similar character types. (The guy definitely has a thing for tig ol' bitties.) I have no idea if the guy is actually married or not, but the "husband" in the title is based on him. The wife as he's written her is very Kobayashi-like, and it wouldn't surprise me if she was actually someone he knows if not his actual wife or girlfriend because their relationship feels very natural, just like the relationships in Dragon Maid.

Can you source where the author said the guy in I Can't Understand What My Husband is Saying was based on him? I don't really doubt you, but I still haven't seen any kind of actual confirmation.. which is what's bugging me.

Yeah, I don't recall any suggestion that the guy from I Can't Understand What My Husband is Saying was based on the author - and in any case it's not unheard of for male characters to be based on women and female characters to be based on men.

I Can't Understand What My Husband is Saying is actually what makes me suspect the author is female - there's nothing specific about it I can point at, but there's a lot of little touches that I more often see in shoujo or josei titles than in shounen or seinen.
jymmy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:58 am Reply with quote
He's a dude according to his Pixiv account.

I did think there was a feminine touch to some aspects of the writing – hard to put your finger on it, as Sakagami Tomoyo says, but some moments just feel that way. Like the moment at the end of the first season where Kaoru spoiler[discovers she's pregnant and the two share a beautifully understated, quiet moment of wonder]. Could just be Kaoru being written convincingly.
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:47 pm Reply with quote
jymmy wrote:

I did think there was a feminine touch to some aspects of the writing – hard to put your finger on it, as Sakagami Tomoyo says, but some moments just feel that way. Like the moment at the end of the first season where Kaoru spoiler[discovers she's pregnant and the two share a beautifully understated, quiet moment of wonder]. Could just be Kaoru being written convincingly.

Ah! Thanks. Yeah, that scene definitely struck me similarly. It was very effectively written. There are a lot of similar scenes in his work, that have struck me that way.
Dracospirit121

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:41 pm Reply with quote
JacobC wrote:
Cool-kyoushinja is definitely a straight dude. For reference, his previous work was "I Can't Understand What My Husband Is Saying," which is just about as adorable as Dragon Maid with a lot of similar character types.

Well that explains why something about the show rung a familiar bell Razz

Anyhow moving onto the shows themes, it central theme is certainly family, especially the idea of making family work with less than traditional parts. It's also about how a family develops, rather than the finished product.

I'm also inclined to believe Kobayashi isn't fully clear about her own feelings towards Tohru and that's a important element of the story. Even with the 'little person' in the picture, she not really sure if Tohru her weird roommate.. or the person she want to spend the rest of her life with. While she seems to be inclined to give Tohru little victories and progress, she's clearly not exactly in full a relationship either. There bond in a strange place.. but I think that's the authors intent.
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:53 pm Reply with quote
jymmy wrote:

To split hairs a bit, the statement is "I am not a girl with boobs", which could either mean "I am a guy" or "I am a flat-chested girl".
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:58 pm Reply with quote
^Gender: Male tends to mean "I am a guy", odd ways of stating that aside.
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Sakagami Tomoyo wrote:
jymmy wrote:

To split hairs a bit, the statement is "I am not a girl with boobs", which could either mean "I am a guy" or "I am a flat-chested girl".

If you're referring to his "Self Introduction", that's him just making a sort of unfortunate joke. He's saying: "I like boobs, not girls with boobs, I like boobs."
But yeah, under gender it says "male".
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:34 am Reply with quote
I must need my eyes checked, because I absolutely cannot see that anywhere, but if two of you are saying so, I'll take your word for it.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:38 am Reply with quote
Sakagami Tomoyo wrote:
I must need my eyes checked, because I absolutely cannot see that anywhere, but if two of you are saying so, I'll take your word for it.

Here's the full profile (I think you may have to be logged in to Pixiv to see it).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4