• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Who Profits From Selling Old Stock Anime Discs?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mikeski

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:34 am Reply with quote
Another problem, with Bandai releases from that era especially, were mis-pressed discs. So they'd print 5000 copies of each one, but it'd take a buyer 3 or 4 tries to get a "volume 4" of Show X that would play. (Much thanks to Robert at RACS for putting up with me during those years, heh.)

So now there's a glut of volumes 1-3 and 5-7, but no 4's to be found. Or you get to buy six discs for a buck apiece, and the last one for $150, and hope it's playable...
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:59 am Reply with quote
FloozyGod wrote:
Sad Petal wrote:
Blood+

omg dude that is like my favorite series of all time. I really wish it would be re-released in a complete series in blu-ray.

I believe I have the first two volumes of season one on singles, they didn't release anymore, and by that time the two box sets were gone. Think they were expensive for their time too, which is probably why I was going the singles route.

I saw this on E-Bay:

Blood+ DVD Complete Series Collection (Episodes 1-50) - English (Anime DVD)

For only $29.00, sounds a bit too good to be true. Since they are not showing the pictures of the two box sets, I can only assume this is a knock-off, especially since the seller claims he has sold 63% of what he had already.
rizuchan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:44 am Reply with quote
trunkschan90 wrote:

I quickly nabbed the Zoids: Chaotic Century DVD (it was vol 7 which is expensive to buy at Amazon since it's out of print, I'm still on the lookout just in case the other DVDs show up)

Color me insanely jealous. I put off buying Zoids DVDs back in the day because I was sure they'd end up in clearance bins all over the place. They did for a short while but then disappeared and now go for ridiculous amounts on ebay and Amazon. I was so desperate for anything of Zoids that wasn't a TV rip with a Cartoon Network logo that I bought the blu-rays, but of course they don't have the dub or even subs. Crying or Very sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nhat

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:53 am Reply with quote
Any place to buy these cheap dvds?
nhat

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:54 am Reply with quote
rizuchan wrote:
trunkschan90 wrote:

I quickly nabbed the Zoids: Chaotic Century DVD (it was vol 7 which is expensive to buy at Amazon since it's out of print, I'm still on the lookout just in case the other DVDs show up)

Color me insanely jealous. I put off buying Zoids DVDs back in the day because I was sure they'd end up in clearance bins all over the place. They did for a short while but then disappeared and now go for ridiculous amounts on ebay and Amazon. I was so desperate for anything of Zoids that wasn't a TV rip with a Cartoon Network logo that I bought the blu-rays, but of course they don't have the dub or even subs. Crying or Very sad

Man Zoids, that was actually a pretty good TV series
Greed1914

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:39 pm Reply with quote
OldCharlieStoletheHandle wrote:
I also bought a lot of singles (sometimes with artboxes) from TRSI after the bubble burst, especially when they had their 25 for $100 sales. I couldn't help noticing how many still had Best Buy price stickers on them. I actually got a lot of good shows including the ADV Macross release complete with artbox for $28 total (disk 7 is probably worth many times that now as it is very hard to find so I hear).

Yep. Members of my college anime club would go in together on those sales since it was more discs than most people wanted for themselves. I definitely had a few with Best Buy price stickers, too. The first time one of those sales happened, it seemed great. By the second Geneon sale, and the ADV one, it felt more like the harbinger of demise.

I've gone through Right Stuf's bargain bin many times trying to fill out an order for free shipping, and at this point it consists of discs I wouldn't have bought in the first place, or random singles of good shows.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:02 pm Reply with quote
rizuchan wrote:

Man, I wish Viz would eventually consider licensing that remastered blu-ray re-release for this show. Would buy it immediately.
Afezeria

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:04 am Reply with quote
If those nice, cheap original dvd/bd were sold in my currency or my currency has a lot more better values than it is now, I would had at least be able to purchase some stuff or two. As of now, even if $30 seems cheap for its users, certainly that's not the same case for me. Not to mentions shipping cost because there's hardly any original dvd/bd around here.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:58 am Reply with quote
egozi14 wrote:
I have no clue what the address is :/

Perhaps the various Answerman were just too lazy to put it it as "@".
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:13 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
egozi14 wrote:
I have no clue what the address is :/

Perhaps the various Answerman were just too lazy to put it it as "@".

The point of not just listing the address is to avoid spam.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:52 pm Reply with quote
trunkschan90 wrote:
At the 99 Cent Only store I go to they had some Tokyopop, ADV and Viz DVDs such as Reign: The Conqueror, Inuyasha, Project Arms, Zoids: Chaotic Century, Trouble Chocolate, and a couple others.

How in the world were you able to find any anime at all at 99 Cents Only? Any home videos I ever found there were either mockbusters that failed, even for their standards, or releases of old movies and TV shows packaged so poorly they looked just like bootlegs. Big Lots was the cheapest place I ever found anime, and even then it was very rare, and home video would be mostly forgotten family films like Beverly Hills Chihuahua or The Big Green. You'd have to move on up to Walmart for the SUCCESSFUL mockbusters.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:04 am Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
OldCharlieStoletheHandle wrote:
I also bought a lot of singles (sometimes with artboxes) from TRSI after the bubble burst, especially when they had their 25 for $100 sales. I couldn't help noticing how many still had Best Buy price stickers on them. I actually got a lot of good shows including the ADV Macross release complete with artbox for $28 total (disk 7 is probably worth many times that now as it is very hard to find so I hear).

Yep. Members of my college anime club would go in together on those sales since it was more discs than most people wanted for themselves. I definitely had a few with Best Buy price stickers, too. The first time one of those sales happened, it seemed great. By the second Geneon sale, and the ADV one, it felt more like the harbinger of demise.

I've gone through Right Stuf's bargain bin many times trying to fill out an order for free shipping, and at this point it consists of discs I wouldn't have bought in the first place, or random singles of good shows.
Like many other collectors a decade ago, I also benefited from those "industry-crashing fire sales" on TRSI, scoring some or all of Rumiko Takahashi Anthology (maybe that sale helped it break the 100 units sold mark!), Stellvia, Human Crossing, Tsukihime, and Hellsing from Geneon, plus UFO Ultramaiden Valkyrie 1-2, Divergence Eve, Madlax, Loki Ragnarok, Happy Lesson, Wandaba Style, and Yugo the Negotiator from ADV. And it was around this time that ADV was stripping off extras for its reduced-price thinpacks, so getting those singles complete with on-disc and printed extras was even more of a steal. Although savvy buyers took note that ADV singles for series released via thinpack would often go on clearance anyway.

But that well of complete series in bargain-priced single form has pretty much run dry. I've only managed to piece together a few over the last couple of years, like Moeyo Ken, Jinki: Extend, and Zaion -- not exactly top-shelf material. If a show's out of print, then there's always that one or two volumes that're rare and expensive, even while the rest are cheap. And if a show originally released on singles back in the early/mid-00s is still in print, then the newer collection is probably going to be more space- and cost-effective. Until fairly recently, TRSI was offering bundled singles of shows like Melody of Oblivion, Licensed by Royalty, Kujibiki Unbalance, Genshiken 2, and Sadamitsu the Destroyer, but those have been discontinued as stock of certain volumes ran out.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:35 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
But that well of complete series in bargain-priced single form has pretty much run dry. I've only managed to piece together a few over the last couple of years, like Moeyo Ken, Jinki: Extend, and Zaion -- not exactly top-shelf material.

You may be the only person in recent years who has made the effort to collect all of the Zaion releases! I admire your dedication, if not your specific choices.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2