• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash Novels 1 & 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:03 pm Reply with quote
That I couldn't tell you. Hopefully J-Novel will stop by and let us know. Smile
Iriliane2

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Here's the line in question, for the Japanese inclined:
「おまえさん、男だろ! 若いんだろ! 女とやりたい、オークを殺したい! 欲を出さないでどうするよ!」

It's pretty unambiguously "You want to do it/sleep with women".
Aquamine-Amarine

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:54 pm Reply with quote
stilldemented wrote:
Ao Jyumanji....that's up there as one of the coolest names I've ever seen.

Seeing it spelled Merry weirds me out to a certain extent. It's a little too close to the Going Merry from One Piece so I just start thinking about ships...which makes me think about shipping...which brings me back around to that HaruhiroXMerry ship.

I probably would have just made it Mary or Meri. Unless it's supposed to be ironic in that her name is Merry when she has more reason to be Gloomy.

I'll stop. Anime smile + sweatdrop

Anyway, sounds cool! It's neat to hear that the books aren't quite as heavy handed as the show. I might look into buying them when I get the chance. Smile

I agree, Merry makes no sense. It's a really questionable translation. Seeing as she's a Priest, Mary makes a lot more sense if they were going for a religious reference.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:48 am Reply with quote
Aquamine-Amarine wrote:
stilldemented wrote:
Ao Jyumanji....that's up there as one of the coolest names I've ever seen.

Seeing it spelled Merry weirds me out to a certain extent. It's a little too close to the Going Merry from One Piece so I just start thinking about ships...which makes me think about shipping...which brings me back around to that HaruhiroXMerry ship.

I probably would have just made it Mary or Meri. Unless it's supposed to be ironic in that her name is Merry when she has more reason to be Gloomy.

I'll stop. Anime smile + sweatdrop

Anyway, sounds cool! It's neat to hear that the books aren't quite as heavy handed as the show. I might look into buying them when I get the chance. Smile

I agree, Merry makes no sense. It's a really questionable translation. Seeing as she's a Priest, Mary makes a lot more sense if they were going for a religious reference.

We confirmed the spelling with the author, and it's what was used on her character image CD. http://grimgar.com/music/music.html

It's supposed to contrast with her personality (the priests in the world aren't related to christianity, plus Mary would be spelled differently in katakana usually)
stilldemented

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:00 am Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
stilldemented wrote:

Unless it's supposed to be ironic in that her name is Merry when she has more reason to be Gloomy.

It's supposed to contrast with her personality (the priests in the world aren't related to christianity, plus Mary would be spelled differently in katakana usually)

I nailed it! Razz

That makes it all cool then! It's just one of those things where my American brain looks at it and has to do a double take. I figure it will be easy to get used to once I'm knee deep in the books. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2