• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show -The Other 100 Best Anime Movies of All Time, Part 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:40 am Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
GeorgeC wrote:

Rintaro's Metropolis (2001) isn't that bad.

Goodness, you used to have quite a dislike for such a film!

I NEVER hated Metropolis per se... (I like this film AND the 1927 Fritz Lang feature.)
I always felt it was a VISUALLY STUNNING film. It's pretty to look at. I LIKE retro animation/character designs. There's an attractiveness in stylized characters you don't find in "literal"/figure drawing designs done for animation.
I'd almost recommend the anime Metropolis solely on visuals and I HATE to do that as a general rule because there are a lot of pretty films that just have shitty screenplays, bad direction, and very, very bad acting in them. Take your pick of at least half the blockbusters in motion picture history -- they may have made money but artistically they're hollow and just don't have good acting and direction.

The problem I had at the time (this was the first time it was released on home video; 2002/2003 DVD) with Metropolis was that I felt it WAS a bit too deliberately paced... I've changed my mind... It's no worse pacing-wise than most American and British LIVE-action films were in the 1930s and 1940s -- which means it's also better paced than most Japanese films that run 2 hours more more! Laughing
Metropolis is 107 minutes long so it's only about twenty-odd minutes longer than a typical Disney or Pixar movie.
I guess I'm more patient now... It helps to NOTE make a habit of watching music videos or motion pictures directed by music video directors, too!

I changed my mind on the dub. It's pretty good considering it's in what we would call the "middle ground" period of modern anime dubbing (anything after 1990; at the earliest I would count the original 1988 Akira English dub as an early example of "modern era dubbing"). The Japanese audio really doesn't do much for me in this case.
It's really not a bad dub. I can recognize 3-4 actors from Robotech in the film as well as the guy who was the voice of Aladdin in the Disney film... The leads are all very good in this film. It is sort of weird that I recognize virtually every character design from Astro Boy in this movie. That's pretty much ALL the characters! They were stock characters in all the major Tezuka anime and manga works...
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:43 am Reply with quote
Like others, I agree that this is a great idea for a list. The one "complaint" I have is that for this type of list I think you should either start at #1 and go down (instead of at #100 going up) OR have the full list. The problem with starting at the bottom is readers (like myself) have obvious "should be on the list" thoughts that we're left with that get (potentially) tougher to reconcile as you go up, but are much easier to "wait and see" if you're going down. Project A-ko is an obvious omission from the Paste list, but I can think of dozens of other movies that seem like they "should" make the list. The other one question I have (answer SEEMS obvious, but I just want to confirm) the intro noted that you omitted the "usual suspects" (Miyazaki, etc) but (and this is why I have my one complaint) are the any movies from the Paste list that are ALSO on your list? Or is this intended to be COMPLETELY different (a "sequel" of sorts) from that list?

There are movies (even if ignoring the "obvious" ones) on the Paste list that definitely deserve mention, so I was just wondering if this is "top 100 if you ignore the ones EVERYONE mentions" or "NEXT 100, after Paste's 100"
False Prophet

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:38 pm Reply with quote
In overall, it seems to be a good list, though I'm not completely satisfied about Lensman being put onto the list. Disregarding the aged animation, it seems to be a badly-done Star Wars to me.
ShaolinWolf

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:00 am Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
I didn't know whether Mike was being facetious in saying that Time Etranger was about "a bunch of ugly teens", when it was the "artsy" TV-tiein spinoff from GoShogun, an 80's series we remember...pretty much only for Time Etranger.
(And whose existence was only recently mentioned in discussions over Discotek picking up the feature.)

Time Étranger and Time Stranger are actually two different films. Mike Toole's already listed Toki no Tabibito: Time Stranger, but the one you're talking about, which will undoubtedly receive a better ranking, is GoShogun: The Time Étranger.

(I'd be confused too, if it weren't for all the times I thought I'd found the Time Étranger OST, only for it to be Time Stranger's OST...)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4