• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Power Rangers Film Includes 1st Big-Screen LGBT Superhero

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gemnist

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:28 pm Reply with quote
This makes me want, more than ever, Fox to give Marvel the rights back for Northstar. As far as they are concerned, Northstar is probably an abomination of a character just because he's the first gay superhero period, and they are... well, you know. And since Black Panther will probably make us forget all about Steel, it's more needed than ever.
Zoneflare

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Swear the movie studios just love announcing this kind of stuff in hopes of getting free publicity.
#sukkar

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Zoneflare wrote:
Swear the movie studios just love announcing this kind of stuff in hopes of getting free publicity.

But...they didn't?

Lionsgate didn't announce anything - this is straight from the reviews. Lionsgate made a movie with a gay character and people commented on that when reviewing it. That's hardly them announcing it.

But hey, I guess you can't expect people to read much past the headlines.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:40 pm Reply with quote
ultimatehaki wrote:
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
Also kinda surprised they didn't make the Blue Ranger gay as a nod to David Yost (the original Blue Ranger) coming out in real life. It wouldn't have been much different than what the new Star Trek movies did with Sulu

They only made Sulu gay because the actor who played him is gay. If the blue ranger in this movie was actually gay they most likely would have done that.(I'm assuming he's not I don't actually know or care enough to look it up.)

They made Sulu gay because his original actor George Takei is gay. John Cho (who plays him in the new movies isn't. Oddly enough Takei didn't like the change in Sulu's sexuality when it was announced iirc.
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Seems like a shoehorned excuse to appeal to more people. This movie's going to bomb.
Primus

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:42 pm Reply with quote
#sukkar wrote:
Zoneflare wrote:

But...they didn't?

Lionsgate didn't announce anything - this is straight from the reviews. Lionsgate made a movie with a gay character and people commented on that when reviewing it. That's hardly them announcing it.

But hey, I guess you can't expect people to read much past the headlines.

How'd they get quotes from the director and actors on this subject if it was revealed in reviews? I actually read ANN's sources. This new material was from a press junket.

It's not a coincidence that they're speaking about this today. The reviews are coming in and this is a distraction from the revelation that a movie with a team of writers so large they could form a ranger team, isn't very good.

Lactobacillus yogurti wrote:
Seems like a shoehorned excuse to appeal to more people. This movie's going to bomb.

Really depends on how well it does internationally. Domestic opening is currently pegged at $38 million. Depending on how reviews play out (currently not looking good) that might get downgraded. Then again, nostalgia is all blinding.
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
ultimatehaki wrote:
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
Also kinda surprised they didn't make the Blue Ranger gay as a nod to David Yost (the original Blue Ranger) coming out in real life. It wouldn't have been much different than what the new Star Trek movies did with Sulu

They only made Sulu gay because the actor who played him is gay. If the blue ranger in this movie was actually gay they most likely would have done that.(I'm assuming he's not I don't actually know or care enough to look it up.)

They made Sulu gay because his original actor George Takei is gay. John Cho (who plays him in the new movies isn't. Oddly enough Takei didn't like the change in Sulu's sexuality when it was announced iirc.

Oh I see I misunderstood the review I read so long ago then if they meant the original actor. In that case what the heck is Hollywood thinking?

Last edited by ultimatehaki on Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
falcon.punch

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:02 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[-inb4 my profile pic-]

I confess I've Autism (Or just Aspergers) for myself but in a minor scale so I am surprised but at the same time not for a reason. Maybe because there's too many recently?
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:24 pm Reply with quote
The more hollywood becomes political the more there crap becomes unwatchable because ever since hollywood started pushing this big political agenda there movies have taken a huge nose dive in quality. Yep when you try so desperately hard to cater to everyone just for the sake of money than no body wins. Rolling Eyes
Bullza

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:30 pm Reply with quote
God enough of shoving this nonsense onto people.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:42 pm Reply with quote
AnimeLordLuis wrote:
The more hollywood becomes political the more there crap becomes unwatchable because ever since hollywood started pushing this big political agenda there movies have taken a huge nose dive in quality.

Right, how I long for the good ole' days in which movies were entirely disinterested, with no political agenda and purely artistic concepts such as fighting nazis, fighting communists, going to war to Vietnam etc etc etc
dlm

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:46 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
AnimeLordLuis wrote:
The more hollywood becomes political the more there crap becomes unwatchable because ever since hollywood started pushing this big political agenda there movies have taken a huge nose dive in quality.

Right, how I long for the good ole' days in which movies were entirely disinterested, with no political agenda and purely artistic concepts such as fighting nazis, fighting communists, going to war to Vietnam etc etc etc

Laughing
notrogersmith

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:52 pm Reply with quote
When it comes to having an autistic character, execution is a potential problem. As a high-functioning autistic myself, I know that I can kinda sorta pass for "normal", but I'm still a bit "off". Capturing that dynamic on-screen is probably not trivial, and I'm not sure I'd trust the skill of an actor cast for a turn-your-brain-off movie like Power Rangers to do so.

Of course, execution is a potential problem for gay characters as well, but there's a lot more leeway, since gays are more or less like everyone else. There's going to be more constraints on what kind of personality an autistic will have.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:07 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Sounds to me like they're just throwing the LBGTQ+ community the table scraps.

Yeah, this is just queerbaiting, it's the annoying diversity for kinda-sorta representation and the diversity checklist.

The Major may be bisexual, but they never made it the highlight of the anime. She has a relationship with Batou and Kuze. she also offered herself to a teenage boy, and she also has girlfriends, but they never made a super big deal about it in the anime.
Nitsugalego

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:17 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
AnimeLordLuis wrote:

If you can't tell the difference between politics in plots and random characters having random PC identities with no service to the plot well... This movie might have a character just for you.

spoiler[inb4 I get banned for light bantz]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7