• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Power Rangers Film Includes 1st Big-Screen LGBT Superhero

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:19 pm Reply with quote
mglittlerobin wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
Sounds to me like they're just throwing the LBGTQ+ community the table scraps.

Yeah, this is just queerbaiting, it's the annoying diversity for kinda-sorta representation and the diversity checklist.

The Major may be bisexual, but they never made it the highlight of the anime. She has a relationship with Batou and Kuze. she also offered herself to a teenage boy, and she also has girlfriends, but they never made a super big deal about it in the anime.

Of course not they're too busy trying to make a thought provoking and complex story that most people won't be able to understand.
L'Imperatore

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Since Beauty and the Beast is swallowing everyone's money, Logan & Kong are still going strong, plus GitS and Ryan Reynolds & Jake Gyllenhaal's film (Life) are coming soon, this film is going to need every publicity it could have.
MrBonk

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Would it just be better to not say anything until the movie is actually out?

Just let people discover it on their own and let them make their own call, instead of calling attention to it , making it seem like it's just there for the sake of it?

Feel like it's bad writing when they give away Gay characters just by calling attention to their sexuality or having them tell someone else they are gay and it not having much to do with anything or having no purpose other than to call to the fact that "hey, this character is gay! we care!" (Something I really didn't notice all that much until Chuck Wendig's blatantly bad shoehorning of this stuff into his Star Wars book)

Last edited by MrBonk on Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:34 pm Reply with quote
I don't know why, but I think it always seems disingenuous to make established characters gay or lesbian when those said characters were straight in the original. I have no problem with LGBT characters in media, as long as they are original creations. The two gay males in Modern Family are perfect examples to prove my point.
Bandanaman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:55 pm Reply with quote
AnimeLordLuis wrote:
Right, how I long for the good ole' days in which movies were entirely disinterested, with no political agenda and purely artistic concepts such as fighting nazis, fighting communists, going to war to Vietnam etc etc etc

See, when they used to do that they appealed to broader concepts. For example, "Full Metal Jacket" used the Vietnam War as a backdrop to a more universal message condemning war in general. It didn't just harp on how bad a particular war was, but rather on how war is universally a bad thing. It just used a particular war to make the point more salient to the viewers.

This is the big difference between Hollywood as it used to be as opposed to how it is now. Back in the day there was an artistic and intellectual rigor to the movies. Now it's just blatant poorly constructed and poorly conceived propaganda. Higher order concepts over crass politicking of the day any day of the week if you wanna make something more engaging and timeless. They used to understand that, but they don't anymore. Hence, why most everything coming out of there is completely unwatchable and why I'm sticking to anime for my entertainment.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Bandanaman wrote:

This is the big difference between Hollywood as it used to be as opposed to how it is now. Back in the day there was an artistic and intellectual rigor to the movies. Now it's just blatant poorly constructed and poorly conceived propaganda. Higher order concepts over crass politicking of the day any day of the week if you wanna make something more engaging and timeless. They used to understand that, but they don't anymore. Hence, why most everything coming out of there is completely unwatchable and why I'm sticking to anime for my entertainment.

I generally find Japan handles these issues more tactfully than America does, but that might primarily stem from Japan being a much more humble society. Bragging is not really approved of, so you'll never see this kind of virtue signalling or egotistical retorts from creators like you do here. They just make what they want and let audiences decide how to take it, rather than telling the public how amazing they are for their concious descision to add some kind of element to their work. That's why the insertion seems more natural in anime and games. Japan doesn't have the kinds of restrictions our media does, so it helps their creative output.

-Stuart Smith
Mr.Shonen

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
The original Power Rangers was known for featuring a diverse group of teens, but apparently if you do the same thing in 2017 it's "pandering" and "progressive signaling."

Gay people actually exist, guys. Autistic people actually exist. Acknowledging this reality isn't part of some progressive conspiracy.

But that's not the actual problem. It's the announcement/reaction to it like it's some life altering event. Seriously go on twitter or Google and type Power Rangers gay/lgbt/autism/etc... and watch all these people and news sites get stupidly excited over this. Power Rangers is now the new IT thing to love like Beauty the and the beast and their gay moment. It annoys me how slacker progressives on social media and left leaning sites assume throwaway lines/scenes like this are gonna automatically uplift a subgroup of our society and magically erase the complex issues they face.

For Dean to try and use the scene to claim that it makes Trini isome deep and complex character shows to me that she probably isn't. It screams trying to save face. Trini being gay/queer is not gonna be a characteristic of her. Its now whats gonna to define her. She's not Trini the Yellow Power Ranger. She's Trini the Gay/Queer Yellow Power Ranger. The Gay/Queer superhero. The Gay/Queer icon.

As someone who would be considered a POC that needs immediate Hollywood representation because Straight white males are secretly oppressing me through film and tv this honestly annoys me and gets under my skin. Modern western entertainment's attempt to be progressive and up to date is why I turn to anime before I turn to current western comics/movies/games/cartoons .

Stuart Smith wrote:

As for the Major, I wonder if the film will have a scene where Johanson offers a young boy sex. She could be the first pedophile hero, I suppose

Hang on there Milo. GitS has enough angry social media users complaining about Evil White Hollywood. It doesn't need more.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
iceblast

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:08 pm Reply with quote
I actually think that this could be a good movie. The Power Rangers before, just had actors in suits, and the suits were nothing special. Now, they have real powers, and the suits are pretty awesome. Completely changes things for me, because the old series was a bit lame.

At least they made the girl gay, instead of one of the guys. Makes it a great deal more tolerable for most people.

I wish they would stop trying to force diversity, by highlighting it, and shoving it in everyone's face. This is the Power Ranger, how about we keep sex out of it.
CatSword

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Bullshit. Deadpool totally claimed that honor. He didn't fondle Wolverine's balls to get his own movie only to suffer this kind of disrespect.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:39 pm Reply with quote
50% on Rotten Tomatoes lol
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:55 pm Reply with quote
No offense... okay offense but who are guys trying to fool when anime is the very definition of pandering?
Heishi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, personally, not a big fan of turning an already established character into something he/she is not.

I mean, its one thing for the shippers.
But to make something like that canon, its...yeah. :/

^ Anime hasn't pandered to me alot, actually.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:01 am Reply with quote
The Mad Manga Massacre wrote:
No offense... okay offense but who are guys trying to fool when anime is the very definition of pandering?

If I go buy a pizza, and I get a pizza, its not pandering.

If I go buy a salad and the menu says "Pizza lovers will love this!" it is pandering.

A little thing I'd call context. Everyone in Power Rangers could be gay. It'd be a non-issue to the point it wouldn't come up. The franchise is based off some lighthearted beat 'em ups. This move does nothing for anyone. Is anyone gay who was disinterested in Power Rangers suddenly going to become interested in the movie/franchise now? It doesn't even affect the fight scenes, so if those are good it also does nothing for the main fanbase.

It is similar to GameTheory making lighthearted fun of Mario being mentally ill. It actually has no impact on the game. If Nintendo came out tomorrow and said, "Well in this next Mario game, we reveal he has been battling mental health issues!" Then we're back to pointless pandering.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:34 am Reply with quote
I don't have any problem with this. The complaints here I think are just cultural growing pains. Hopefully this sort of representation eventually becomes so mainstream and accepted that it won't even be brought up as a talking point for entertainment. I'm more glad to see more varied representation in entertainment, than I'm annoyed at any perceived pandering. Looking at the bigger picture, the more films we have with this kind of representation, the closer we get to a point where it's normalized and looks less shoe-horned.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:34 am Reply with quote
What about Wonder Woman in last year´s BvS? The film didn´t address it (give DC 3 more months) but she is bisexual. Dito for Harley Quinn in Suicide Squad, who is a villain.
It was again not addressed by the sequel Gotham City Sirens will have an all bisexual trio as the leads.
Deadpool also 100% addressed his pansexuality. Fox thus sets the cinematic first here, not Saban!
An explanation of Deadpool´s complex sexuality by his (actual) creator:
http://www.cbr.com/deadpool-co-creator-weighs-in-on-characters-sexuality/

Half the comic cast of the League of Extraordinary Gentleman isn´t hetero either, but the film had nothing to do with it. John Constantine’s bisexuality is also left unexplored by all adaptations. Watchmen technically skipped that Minutemen related subplot in the film, but the doc on the Blu Ray may have addressed it. Hm.

DC apparently dragged their cinematic heels in this regard, as they are kind of famous for leading the US industry in terms of LGBT representation since the 80s in comic from. At least that changed. Some of the CW shows even went a bit far in that regard. Hard-R Midnighter movie / show when?

PS: Why didn´t they pick Billy? I frankly expected that from the start.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7