• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Power Rangers Film Includes 1st Big-Screen LGBT Superhero

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EricJ2

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
TenCentFang wrote:
That's not automatically a bad thing. Everyone loves Ms. Marvel, for instance.

Do they? Given the numbers it must not be a lot of people. All of Marvel's agenda-pushing titles like Squirrel Girl and Moon Girl are selling poorly. Marvel said they'll back off politics next year, but I'll believe it when it happens. But Marvel would probably publish Ms Marvel no matter how low the numbers get because cancelling it would result in a huge PR backlash for them.

Kamala Khan and Doreen Green have followings for their personalities and their books' styles, while Ironheart, Female Thor, Spider-Gwen, and whoever's replacing Captain America at the moment...nnnot so much.
Let's not lump those two favorites in with Marvel's current attempts to kiss up to the "Girl power!" female TV demographics of SHIELD and Agent Carter fangirls who wouldn't normally read the print comics if the TV shows hadn't happened--These two heroes earned their followings the hard way, while the more obvious boardroom attempts has been getting some very loud rumblings of fan mutiny. The "Captain Hydra" thing already turned some fans against the management, and the new Agent-Carterization of the entire Avengers team isn't taking any straws off the camel's back. Mad

Thought Carol Danvers was the "Ms. Marvel" thought Oink was referring to, another heroine who earned her status...Yeah, I've been out of the comics for a while.
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:03 am Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
Agent355 wrote:
Do you have a source for that? From what I've gathered, it's hard to get an accurate picture of comic sales because Comixology doesn't release their numbers. If you're just looking at monthly floppies
, barely anything sells anymore, period.
Now, if you want to look at movie ticket sales, the MPAA just released a report in which they concluded themselves that
an increase in African American, Asian American, and female moviegoers is due to an increase in diversity in films.

I haven't looked into the comics numbers, but one could argue that any increase in "minority" viewers for movies is more than offset by a large exodus in "majority" viewers, which is bad for the "bottom line". Since movie ticket sales are on a downward trend since the peak in 2002. (box office numbers are up only due to ticket price inflation)
http://www.the-numbers.com/market/

Did you read the article? It literally said that the uptick in minority ticket sales in America not only made up for a slight downtick in white Americans going to the movies, but lower-than-expected movie ticket sales in China. So, no.
Lord Oink wrote:

Quote:
Now, if you want to look at movie ticket sales, the MPAA just released a report in which they concluded themselves that an increase in African American, Asian American, and female moviegoers is due to an increase in diversity in films.

Correlation doesn't imply causation. The movies they listed for female dominated viewers were Finding Dory, Secret Life of Pets, and Jungle Book. Only one of those starred a female, and two don't even star humans. How do they know the increase in black or Asian viewers wasn't because they saw Deadpool, Captain America, or Suicide Squad? I don't remember any Asian led films last year at all.

You're right, correlation does not equal causation. I do wonder which movies were most popular among African American audiences, though.
Lord Oink wrote:
Agent355 wrote:

Do you have a source for that? From what I've gathered, it's hard to get an accurate picture of comic sales because Comixology doesn't release their numbers. If you're just looking at monthly floppies, barely anything sells anymore, period.

Floppys still make up the vast majority of sales for comics. Unless Moon Girl is selling hundreds of thousands of copies digital to offset the 8000 floppys it moves, I'm going to count it a dud.

Floppys make up the vast majority of comic sales? Again, where is your source for this claim? Because if you look up sources, you'll see that as of 2015, graphic novels outsold periodicals. And who's buying graphic novels? Considering how well children's titles like Raina Telgemeier's books did when the New York Times tracked best selling gns, I'd guess parents. Moon Girl is an all-ages title that has been getting great reviews. I wouldn't count it out just yet!
Lord Oink wrote:

Quote:
Your experience living in an all white neighborhood is valid, and is certainly reflected in media, but many other Americans live in more diverse communities--not only in coastal cities, but in most states in the country. Why does it bother you when media reflects that?

I just find it contrived is all. The group of protagonists always just so happens to be an ethnically diverse team. If the show takes place in the city then sure, makes sense, even though self segregation exists but is never snown, which is awfully convenient, but whatever. It's strange in fantasy settings though, where a diverse cast wouldn't make sense logically but is done to be diverse anyway. It makes the world and writing seem lazy and illogical.

Self-segregation is very well represented in media that takes place in cities. Just going back to the 90's, comedies like Friends, Seinfeld, and Sex and the City all took place in New York City and all featured all white casts. For some reason, people didn't start seriously complaining about it until a young women named Lena Dunham did the exact same thing in her show Girls, but most shows that take place in cities aren't necessarily more diverse than shows that take place anywhere else. I think newer shows, especially ones courting younger audiences, are trying to change their casting, and yeah, sometimes that feels contrived. But it's also still more likely that TV shows and movies made in the US have all white casts than diverse casts, and that's a problem in a country that's as diverse as the US.
The more diverse the people behind the scenes become, the more naturally diverse TV shows and movies will be. The biggest new network TV hits in the past few years, Empire and Scandal, were created by a black gay man (Lee Daniels), and a black woman (Shonda Rhimes), respectively, and feature diverse or mostly black casts. The movies nominated for an Oscar this year that featured people of color all had PoC creative talent behind them. Diverse characters and stories feels more "natural" when they come from diverse sources, and there is plenty of room for those stories and casts in our current media landscape.
megazero

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:12 am Reply with quote
This is just a way to hype up the movie.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:17 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Don't Marvel titles sell poorly even when they aren't "pushing an agenda" lord knows the number of books Marvel has canceled during their entire existence that weren't canceled because of "diversity".

If you don't count Star Wars books as Marvel then yeah, they're down, even with overshipping titles to LCS to inflate numbers. But even within a niche market there's still different tiers. 70K is pretty different than 10K in terms of the comic market.

EricJ2 wrote:
Kamala Khan and Doreen Green have followings for their personalities and their books' styles, while Ironheart, Female Thor, Spider-Gwen, and whoever's replacing Captain America at the moment...nnnot so much.

What are you considering a following? Recognition on blogs and MSM? Because the later titles you mention outperform the first two despite not as many, if any, site championing the later characters as much. And to be honest I don't even see Squirrel Girl being talked about at all on news sites, just Ms Marvel, given... current events, let's just say.

Agent3555 wrote:
Floppys make up the vast majority of comic sales? Again, where is your source for this claim? Because if you look up sources, you'll see that as of 2015, graphic novels outsold periodicals. And who's buying graphic novels? Considering how well children's titles like Raina Telgemeier's books did when the New York Times tracked best selling gns, I'd guess parents. Moon Girl is an all-ages title that has been getting great reviews. I wouldn't count it out just yet!

Sorry, I meant physical in general outdoes digital, I'm just use to calling the medium floppys, which is why Comixology sales seemed reaching. According to http://www.comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/2016.html digital made up roughly 10% of the overall market in 2015. Trade sales outside LCS are hard to find or really figure out, so I'm mainly just going by Diamond's numbers. The main problem with that is like you said, other stuff gets lumped in with graphic novels in book stores outside the Marvel/DC stuff like Ghosts, Peanuts anthologies, and even the entire manga industry which is a whole 'nother thing. Just seems like a real stretch to say the low-performing Marvel titles are doing great in trades or digital when there's no hard numbers to look at to really confirm it..

Quote:
Self-segregation is very well represented in media that takes place in cities. Just going back to the 90's, comedies like Friends, Seinfeld, and Sex and the City all took place in New York City and all featured all white casts. For some reason, people didn't start seriously complaining about it until a young women named Lena Dunham did the exact same thing in her show Girls, but most shows that take place in cities aren't necessarily more diverse than shows that take place anywhere else. I think newer shows, especially ones courting younger audiences, are trying to change their casting, and yeah, sometimes that feels contrived. But it's also still more likely that TV shows and movies made in the US have all white casts than diverse casts, and that's a problem in a country that's as diverse as the US.

I was kinda mainly referring to younger shows, specifically Power Rangers. Adult shows probably have more freedom, especially back in the 90s when shows like Married With Children were allowed, but younger shows generally seem to have all kinds of contrived casts. Even in Marvel movies you got silly casting choices like Heimdall. It's just something I noticed for every single sentai series that gets adapted to Power Rangers, even in silly cases like Ninninger which is now a bunch of multi-culturally diverse.... Japanese ninjas? That kinda stuff always seemed funny to me.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Did you read the article? It literally said that the uptick in minority ticket sales in America not only made up for a slight downtick in white Americans going to the movies, but lower-than-expected movie ticket sales in China. So, no.

Your article claims an uptick in 2016 (over 2015), but it is referring to in terms of DOLLARS (which I noted), but in terms of PEOPLE (ie. number of tickets sold NOT "money made") the chart I linked shows the market is flat for the last 3 years and down overall (and on a bad trend) since 2002. That's a combo of general inflation and the market moving more towards a model LIKE (but obviously not the same as) Japan, where you have a smaller number of people that spend more money on fewer tickets. If you don't like the Aniplex model, then this trend should seriously alarm you.

tldr: Studios are making more MONEY, but they're enticing fewer PEOPLE.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7