Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action Ghost in the Shell Spot Teases Kuze




Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Kougeru



Joined: 13 May 2008
Posts: 3612
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Yet another character's deep and intriguing backstory ruined by this movie.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Afezeria



Joined: 20 Aug 2015
Posts: 512
Location: Malaysia, Kuantan.
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Yet another character's deep and intriguing backstory ruined by this movie.
You're always kept complaining like as of your life is depended on it. Since 2008 too over here, apparently. How about giving a bit of rest to that? If you dislike something, then turn a different channel.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kon'Doriano



Joined: 17 Sep 2016
Posts: 552
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:16 am Reply with quote
Man what a shame. From what I gathered from the trailers, the visual presentation looks great, the bits of acting I saw are ok, and the director has undoubtedly improved from his previous work when it comes to his directorial work (still rough around the edges but he did work his blood and sweat into this project so I can at least appreciate that)......and all that is wasted on a laughably bad script. As if the use of amnesia isn't bad enough it's also a generic revenge story but on top of that it's more of a bootleg verison of RoboCop than it is a plot worthy of the GitS name! Laughing The scriptwriters (and partially the director) had ONE job and they blew it. Hopefully the Battle Angel Alita movie doesn't suffer from a horrible script, that's my only hope for anime/manga live action adaptations.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Levonr



Joined: 19 Nov 2003
Posts: 488
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Kon'Doriano wrote:
Hopefully the Battle Angel Alita movie doesn't suffer from a horrible script, that's my only hope for anime/manga live action adaptations.


Battle Angel Alita is really the only one I have faith in based on the cast & crew. But who knows, maybe it will suck and GiTS and Death Note will be great or they'll all fail which is expected.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
gwdone



Joined: 01 May 2008
Posts: 270
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Wow, you guys are acting as if it's something new that Hollywood sucks. Especially when it comes to any adaptations. I pre-know it's going to be way different and with plenty of Hollywood twists and templates applied, but I don't care. I mean what other movie(s) are you going to go see from that same old lame old bunch?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kon'Doriano



Joined: 17 Sep 2016
Posts: 552
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:50 pm Reply with quote
gwdone wrote:
Wow, you guys are acting as if it's something new that Hollywood sucks. Especially when it comes to any adaptations. I pre-know it's going to be way different and with plenty of Hollywood twists and templates applied, but I don't care. I mean what other movie(s) are you going to go see from that same old lame old bunch?


How exactly? From what I'm seeing it just looks like we're complaining about the movie. Pray tell. Please, go on ahead. (lmao when you said any adaptations)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
leafy sea dragon



Joined: 27 Oct 2009
Posts: 6560
Location: Another Kingdom
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:49 am Reply with quote
gwdone wrote:
Wow, you guys are acting as if it's something new that Hollywood sucks. Especially when it comes to any adaptations. I pre-know it's going to be way different and with plenty of Hollywood twists and templates applied, but I don't care. I mean what other movie(s) are you going to go see from that same old lame old bunch?


A huge part of the best and most classic Hollywood movies have been adaptations. Shrek, The Wizard of Oz, Gone with the Wind, most of the Disney Animated Canon (they didn't make a single original film not about Donald Duck until Lady and the Tramp), the Christopher Nolan Batman trilogy, The Shawshank Redemption, the Harry Potter films, the Lord of the Rings trilogy, Mad Max: Fury Road, Dark City, Jaws, Jurassic Park, Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, Coraline, How to Train Your Dragon, the James Bond films (not all of them were adaptations, but they are collectively based on the books by Ian Fleming), the entirety of the Universal Horror movies, and The Ten Commandments. Those are just off the top of my head.

With the exception of Ten Commandments, you could ask any random American on the street and they will likely know more about the movie than whatever they were based on, which shows how popular those movies are. Also, in every case, without exception, the presence of the movie boosted sales of the original work (and this applies to mediocre and low-quality adaptations too, like Watchmen and Street Fighter: The Movie). There are also cases of the original author liking the movie adaptation so much that they actively promote it and write their subsequent work to be more like the movie, as is what happened with Fight Club and Who Framed Roger Rabbit, and every portrayal of Tony Stark in the comic books after the iron Man films have been based on Robert Downey Jr.'s appearance and performance.

Here, I've taken the top 25 movies on the Internet Movie Database, and I've colored in green the ones that were adapted from something else (any movies made outside of the Hollywood system are excluded). Over half of them are adaptations, even if you don't include The Matrix, which I count as an adaptation of Dark City, which the Wachowski siblings have said outright:



So just because you are no fan of Hollywood movies does not mean nobody else is.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
gwdone



Joined: 01 May 2008
Posts: 270
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:31 am Reply with quote
Kon'Doriano wrote:
gwdone wrote:
Wow, you guys are acting as if it's something new that Hollywood sucks. Especially when it comes to any adaptations. I pre-know it's going to be way different and with plenty of Hollywood twists and templates applied, but I don't care. I mean what other movie(s) are you going to go see from that same old lame old bunch?


How exactly? From what I'm seeing it just looks like we're complaining about the movie. Pray tell. Please, go on ahead. (lmao when you said any adaptations)


Just a few: Nearly all Stephen King adaptations except when directed by Frank Darabont
Lord of The Rings
The Hobbit
The Da'vinci Code
Cat and the Hat
Forrest Gump
Sahara

Anime: The Guyver
Dragon Ball
Street Fighter
Edge of Tomorrow aka All You Need is Kill
I'll stop there.

I'm going to Ghost in the Shell no matter what, but I know what to expect which is heavy drifting on steroids even though they have done all their homework on the source material including the manga. And I don't mind that in this case. Just call it "Ghost in the Shell-H"
All I'm pointing out is that it should be no surprise to anyone that most adaptations never work. Not because they can't work, but because Hollywood had to have that same old recipe in every movie:
a- love interest
b- comedy relief point
c- That ever so boring "stop everything while we insert a "cool" low bass note for emphasis" moment.
d- a "tender" "loving" couples moment in the midst of any and all crisis scenes.
and on and on and on.

Even the freaking Matrix from years back was a heavy rip off / stolen ideas from Ghost in the Shell. Which leads me to e-

e- extreme slow motion while shooting or pretty much anything else that works (for them)
f- people jumping in frame from massive explosions - in slow motion of course.

Monkey see, monkey do. Every time. All of the time.

I'm just glad it's going to be Ghost in the Shell,, and that Weta Workshop is doing the Geisha and other non digital effects. And again,,, what's the alternative flick to see? Broadway anything? Toy Story 99? I'll be right there on the 31st.... Blinders on for the predict a moments, and eyes wide open for the good stuff. I hope it does well and surprises with content.

Oh and internet slang acronyms such as "imao" is also LAME and predict a suck.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kikaioh



Joined: 01 Jun 2009
Posts: 1197
Location: Antarctica
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:15 pm Reply with quote
A lot of anime are revenue-driven adaptations of existing properties, so it's not like our collective hobby itself isn't free from the same sort of moneyed interests that generate films like this. And similar to anime productions, movie projects involve hundreds of creative people working together to try and craft something that they hope will be entertaining, so I do find it disappointing when people take those efforts for granted in order to assail that faceless non-entity known as "Hollywood."

At the end of the day, different adaptations take different approaches to interpreting their respective source materials. Just look at the original 1995 Ghost in the Shell film, which knuckled down on a philosophically serious rendition of the comic that notably diverged from the more human, sometimes comedic tone of the original work. This movie isn't going to be any different in having its own voice to share, and I feel the most we can hope for is a film that's entertaining for what it is, that carries over elements from the source material that we enjoyed, as well as introduces positive unique elements of its own in order to distinguish itself.

If not, it's not like this movie has the magical power to cause the original works to disappear --- you can always just go home, put on your DVDs of SAC, pull out your Kodansha volumes, and ignore that this new film ever existed.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
gwdone



Joined: 01 May 2008
Posts: 270
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Kikaioh wrote:
A lot of anime are revenue-driven adaptations of existing properties, so it's not like our collective hobby itself isn't free from the same sort of moneyed interests that generate films like this. And similar to anime productions, movie projects involve hundreds of creative people working together to try and craft something that they hope will be entertaining, so I do find it disappointing when people take those efforts for granted in order to assail that faceless non-entity known as "Hollywood."

At the end of the day, different adaptations take different approaches to interpreting their respective source materials. Just look at the original 1995 Ghost in the Shell film, which knuckled down on a philosophically serious rendition of the comic that notably diverged from the more human, sometimes comedic tone of the original work. This movie isn't going to be any different in having its own voice to share, and I feel the most we can hope for is a film that's entertaining for what it is, that carries over elements from the source material that we enjoyed, as well as introduces positive unique elements of its own in order to distinguish itself.

If not, it's not like this movie has the magical power to cause the original works to disappear --- you can always just go home, put on your DVDs of SAC, pull out your Kodansha volumes, and ignore that this new film ever existed.


True. And very well said Kikaioh. I'm very much looking forward to this alternate version.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group