• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 3DS Radiant Historia Perfect Chronology Remake Features New Scenario

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DRWii

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:55 am Reply with quote
Bit disappointed that its a remake instead of a sequel, and the new art doesn't look as good to me, but it's still nice to see this get a second chance. Really loved the battle system, so hopefully they don't change that too much.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:18 am Reply with quote
Completed the DS version 100%. I would gladly replay it with bonus features.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:19 pm Reply with quote
won't be surprised if for the update rerelease is a seiyuu cast.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:38 pm Reply with quote
That's a name I've not heard in a long time. The game needs a sequel, not a remake but sure i´ll take it. Especially if the 3rd act is punched up.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:33 pm Reply with quote
I never got a chance to finish the original game properly. If you guys are hoping for a sequel, I guess it really was satisfying?
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:37 pm Reply with quote
BlueAlf wrote:
I never got a chance to finish the original game properly. If you guys are hoping for a sequel, I guess it really was satisfying?

Quite, but only if you complete everything 100%, then it ends on a very satisfactory note. It's surprising to come across a well-written RPG in the last two decades that doesn't leave any threads dangling (though in this case, that's entirely up to your dedication to exploring every timeline).
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:56 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
(though in this case, that's entirely up to your dedication to exploring every timeline).

And skill level; never could beat that dumb spider boss. That's probably my only real gripe: that one of the endings is locked behind an extremely powerful boss that's tough to beat without ridiculous grinding--and I mean above and beyond the usual "grind til it's dead" tactics. But other than that, highly, highly recommended.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:21 pm Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
And skill level; never could beat that dumb spider boss. That's probably my only real gripe: that one of the endings is locked behind an extremely powerful boss that's tough to beat without ridiculous grinding--and I mean above and beyond the usual "grind til it's dead" tactics. But other than that, highly, highly recommended.

I totally understand that. There is a certain lineup of actions you can use to beat the Mist Spider with just Stocke and Aht earlier than you're meant to so you can clear the node right then and there. Interested?
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:36 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:

I totally understand that. There is a certain lineup of actions you can use to beat the Mist Spider with just Stocke and Aht earlier than you're meant to so you can clear the node right then and there. Interested?

Be my guest! Perfect excuse to replay the game. Anime hyper
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:30 pm Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
Be my guest! Perfect excuse to replay the game. XD

Sure thing. This strategy is basically a waiting game. The key to the battle is inflicting both Curse and Poison on the boss and letting both ailments wither him away to nothing round by round (it's interesting that bosses can be inflicted with ailments as most people wouldn't assume this since it's a rule of RPGs).

Buy a lot of Curse Wings and Poison Wings for this, and also plenty of Holy Water. Throughout the fight, keep your characters defending and just wait for the right moment. If he knocks Aht out, have Stocke use a Holy Water. If Stocke is out, have Aht cast Resurrection or use a Holy Water. When the Mist Spider uses his Fear or Speed Break ability, toss either Wing item at him. Just wait for those Fear/Speed Break moments and make sure both status ailments stick. Once he's cursed and poisoned, every action he takes will drain his HP tremendously per turn (you'll see two damage numerals). Just let the battle play out this way and before you know it, he'll be completely drained. As soon as his HP meter is shriveled to practically nothing, go all out with Stocke and Aht. Victory! :D
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:18 pm Reply with quote
DRWii wrote:
Bit disappointed that its a remake instead of a sequel, and the new art doesn't look as good to me, but it's still nice to see this get a second chance. Really loved the battle system, so hopefully they don't change that too much.

The art looks fine and will definitely be an improvement over the original if the portraits emote and they make Rosche look his age instead of making him look like he's in his 40's

belvadeer wrote:
BlueAlf wrote:

Quite, but only if you complete everything 100%, then it ends on a very satisfactory note. It's surprising to come across a well-written RPG in the last two decades that doesn't leave any threads dangling (though in this case, that's entirely up to your dedication to exploring every timeline).

spoiler[Given the ending sets up a sequel with Stocke choosing to keep the White Historia and threat facing the planet not exactly resolved permanently it's hard to say it doesn't leave anything dangling]
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:57 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
spoiler[Given the ending sets up a sequel with Stocke choosing to keep the White Historia and threat facing the planet not exactly resolved permanently it's hard to say it doesn't leave anything dangling]

I always felt that was more a case of spoiler[showing that history won't repeat itself and someone like Stocke can set things straight, like a case of it being open to player interpretation as to what follows].
ryanvamp

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:41 pm Reply with quote
I actually really like this art, I dunno if the character designs were already this good or if it's the new artist (unless it's the same one? I dunno). I might check it out if they localize this with english subtitles.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1