• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Animation Blu-ray Disc Ranking, March 13-19

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ultimatemegax

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:49 am Reply with quote
Kreion wrote:
ultimatemegax wrote:
Afezeria wrote:
Could someone inform me what constitute a decent amount of sales for a particular title? From which it means that the series managed to make enough without being considered as a flop.

The honest answer is "it depends." There's so many factors and other types of revenue that go into anime production that get ignored. These numbers are pure estimates from Oricon based off of their partner stores; they're not the amount that are actually sold to consumers since Oricon doesn't track literally every store. A fair amount of company online stores don't get tracked; it's really Aniplex's Aniplex+ store that's the only big one that sends information to Oricon.

Besides, these don't account for merchandise, international rights, music sales, music rights sales (like to games/other programs), events, and so forth. Using only these numbers is ignorant of everything else that's out there. It's why only trolls use them to insult shows they don't like.

Ignoring these sales is just as ignorant since the sales ARE important as they basically give you a base level of how well the series did. It's like saying that just looking at the gross for a movie is completely ignorant - it's not, but it's certainly not the whole picture. You are correct on the whole but your last sentence is just pointless, since this is about the only information that we can get it is obviously the thing which people use to understand how well a series did.

The only other thing you really get is the manga/LN sales - which similarly you aren't going to get the whole picture, and the end of the year totals - same problem.

So again, take the numbers with a pinch of salt and keep in mind that many anime are made as advertisements - so looking to see how big the sales spike is in LN/Manga is useful. But saying that the numbers mean nothing is, in itself, ignorant.

Please point out where I said the numbers mean nothing. I said "these numbers ignore everything else," pointed out that they are not all inclusive of all copies sold or shipped, and then pointed out other revenue sources as someone asked what constitutes a "decent amount of sales". I said "Using only these numbers is ignorant," something that you echoed multiple times in your own post while chiding me for something I did not say.
TasteyCookie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:59 am Reply with quote
Also Kobayashi had stock problems at HMV which is where it sold best. So it should have a boost in Wk 2-3 even if just a little bit.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
Not a bad number for Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid with 2,330...

No. Those are bad numbers, especially if you consider that it is an otaku show made by fan favorite studio Kyoto Animation.
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Not disappointed with the sales for Dragon Maid at all. Like others have noted, physical sales are an increasingly trivial part of the overall picture for anime. Sure, it's one of the only things that we can get statistic-wise, but it's still just an estimate, and doesn't even cover all stores, like ultimatemegax noted. Giving it even LESS validity. Not totally useless, but that's partly why I see these numbers and feel fairly comfortable with them. Using the old "3k sales is where a show makes back it's money" is no longer a relevant way to judge the success of an anime. It probably never was really, but it's even less useful now. Good sales can definitely make a success, but low reported sales don't break one.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:07 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
Good sales can definitely make a success, but low reported sales don't break one.

I can agree with that. Discs sales might not be everything, but I will keep using them as a good parameter to see how successful and popular anime in Japan is.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Moroboshi-san wrote:
Mr. Oshawott wrote:

Yep, it is on it's way to become the worst selling KyoAni-show.

if you don't count Munto or Phantom World,

Also Love Live Sunshine vols 5-6 will continue to sell because stock shortages are still an issue ever since they announced that new event ticket tie-in for those volumes.
Tsuruhami

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:00 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Mr. Oshawott wrote:

No. Those are bad numbers, especially if you consider that it is an otaku show made by fan favorite studio Kyoto Animation.

In China, it's quite popular. But in Japan its popularity stems mostly from Kanna because she's a loli, etc etc. I’ve seen Japanese comments say how they don’t like Kobayashi since she’s too manly and not moe, or that the show tries to talk down to them with all those heavy-ish themes about family, xenophobia and understanding.

Or... yuri just doesn't sell well. Idk. I went to pixiv and there's so few yuri fanart of Kobayashi x Tohru or Riko x Kanna despite there's more than 5k fanart in pixiv. If anything, I found sexualized Kanna fanart with some random male OC.
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Tsuruhami wrote:

In China, it's quite popular. But in Japan its popularity stems mostly from Kanna because she's a loli, etc etc. I’ve seen Japanese comments say how they don’t like Kobayashi since she’s too manly and not moe, or that the show tries to talk down to them with all those heavy-ish themes about family, xenophobia and understanding.

Or... yuri just doesn't sell well. Idk. I went to pixiv and there's so few yuri fanart of Kobayashi x Tohru or Riko x Kanna despite there's more than 5k fanart in pixiv. If anything, I found sexualized Kanna fanart with some random male OC.

I've actually noticed that on Pixiv as well. Lots of Lucoa x Shouta stuff too. But yeah, very little yuri fanart at all. I guess they are a bit more conservative in general. Now that I think about it, there isn't THAT much of Reina and Kumiko either, there is a decent bit, but there is also a fair share of Kumiko x whatever the male student's name was, and Reina x Taki-sensei.
Interesting that anyone there thinks the themes are talking down to them? Does that mean they disagree with the representation of family and that xenophobia is bad? I guess that might also have something to do with their conservatism, but still seems strange considering other nicely selling shows in the past.

{Edit: Please refrain from excessive quoting.. I edited your post for you. ~ Psycho 101}
Samiamiam

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:04 pm Reply with quote
ultimatemegax wrote:

Please point out where I said the numbers mean nothing. I said "these numbers ignore everything else," pointed out that they are not all inclusive of all copies sold or shipped, and then pointed out other revenue sources as someone asked what constitutes a "decent amount of sales". I said "Using only these numbers is ignorant," something that you echoed multiple times in your own post while chiding me for something I did not say.

Its not really about the actual numbers or revenue from discs. Comparing disc sales gives the best measurement for otaku popularity we can get. Late night anime that cant sell 1k discs arent likely swimming in merch money. If you cant get a couple thousand people to buy BDs, how many figures can you sell? Its not a perfect system obviously, but its the best one we've got. For manga/LN adaptations we can also see manga boosts to see how successful a show is and maybe game sales, but thats pretty much it. Theyre not irrelevant because its reasonable to assume most late night anime (and this doesnt apply to anime aired during the day or kids stuff ect) has a correlation between disc sales and other sales. Its a little silly to talk about how "theres more discs that are sold!" when that applies to every single show, and the sort of faux "goalposts" people have made (3k, 5k,10k ect) all take that into account.

{Edit: Please refrain from excessive quoting.. I edited your post for you. ~ Psycho 101}
Moroboshi-san

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
...if you don't count Munto or Phantom World...

Musaigen first disc sold close to 3k.
Afezeria

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Someone up there really need to edit their post.

And, just as sad as it is (because I'm a fan of the material), yuri stuff isn't actually that famous over at Japan from what I could see, and there's much more yaoi fan around, which is not something that I've preferred. It's lucky enough to have two upcoming yuri anime in the future like Citrus and NtR, which is somewhat like a god blessed miracle at this point. Though, I fear that those title wouldn't be received well and there's going to be an utter lacking amount of anime with yuri relationship as theme being produced in the future, just like how there's not a single serious horror anime at all.
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Afezeria wrote:
It's lucky enough to have two upcoming yuri anime in the future like Citrus and NtR, which is somewhat like a god blessed miracle at this point. Though, I fear that those title wouldn't be received well and there's going to be an utter lacking amount of anime with yuri relationship as theme being produced in the future, just like how there's not a single serious horror anime at all.

I am incredibly curious to know how and why they got greenlit in the first place. I mean, sure, they are popular for the genre, but as far as I know, there really hasn't been a successful yuri anime, outside of Maria-sama, at least. I'm happy it's happening as well, but I'm also pretty skeptical that they'll do well.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Moroboshi-san wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
...if you don't count Munto or Phantom World...

Musaigen first disc sold close to 3k.

Vol 1 week 1 totals for Phantom World were 2588 discs sold. Maiddragon vol 1 week 1 totals are 2739 discs sold.
Tsuruhami

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:02 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:

I've actually noticed that on Pixiv as well. Lots of Lucoa x Shouta stuff too. But yeah, very little yuri fanart at all. I guess they are a bit more conservative in general. Now that I think about it, there isn't THAT much of Reina and Kumiko either, there is a decent bit, but there is also a fair share of Kumiko x whatever the male student's name was, and Reina x Taki-sensei.
Interesting that anyone there thinks the themes are talking down to them? Does that mean they disagree with the representation of family and that xenophobia is bad? I guess that might also have something to do with their conservatism, but still seems strange considering other nicely selling shows in the past.

Some guys sure like to view anime as pure escapism and dodge real-life issues. Even I was expecting Maid Dragon to be mindless moe show like other cute girls doing cute things anime. So it's kinda difference from their expectation.

Do you watch Yuri on Ice? Can you imagine rabid fangirl paired Yuri or Victor with some random female OC? Oh Hell No! But that's what happen with Maid Dragon, Izetta and other show with no male character Rolling Eyes I guess Japanese men prefer to draw ecchi with self-insert male character rather than yuri. Idk

Afezeria wrote:
Someone up there really need to edit their post.

And, just as sad as it is (because I'm a fan of the material), yuri stuff isn't actually that famous over at Japan from what I could see, and there's much more yaoi fan around, which is not something that I've preferred. It's lucky enough to have two upcoming yuri anime in the future like Citrus and NtR, which is somewhat like a god blessed miracle at this point. Though, I fear that those title wouldn't be received well and there's going to be an utter lacking amount of anime with yuri relationship as theme being produced in the future, just like how there's not a single serious horror anime at all.

Yaoi is an older genre by about 15 years and has a very focused niche (straight/bi women). Yuri is a newer genre, and has the intriguing problem of not having a unified audience, so what appeals to the straight men, straight women and lesbian may differ significantly, which splits an already niche audience up further.

Maria-sama ga Miteru, for example, leans toward romantic drama for female viewers to sympathize with while Valkyire Drive Mermaid uses its yuri content to entice male viewers with fanservice. It's a bit difficult to satisfy both genders of the viewers. Yuri themes don’t consistently appeal to a large female audience, nor do they appeal to a large male audience. In effect, not only is the audience for yuri is smaller than the audience for yaoi; it’s also splintered.
manapear

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:36 am Reply with quote
Tsuruhami wrote:

Yaoi is an older genre by about 15 years and has a very focused niche (straight/bi women). Yuri is a newer genre, and has the intriguing problem of not having a unified audience, so what appeals to the straight men, straight women and lesbian may differ significantly, which splits an already niche audience up further.

Maria-sama ga Miteru, for example, leans toward romantic drama for female viewers to sympathize with while Valkyire Drive Mermaid uses its yuri content to entice male viewers with fanservice. It's a bit difficult to satisfy both genders of the viewers. Yuri themes don’t consistently appeal to a large female audience, nor do they appeal to a large male audience. In effect, not only is the audience for yuri is smaller than the audience for yaoi; it’s also splintered.

That's a good point about yuri and yaoi, and on the nose with those references. Maria-sama is aimed at a female audience but I can see how it can have crossover appeal. Valkyrie is very male-aimed and while the crossover appeal can/does happen, there's less room for it. (Especially when there already is some sexual/fanservice yuri for female audiences.)

I think yaoi is less splintered in part because of how publishers and retailers treat it though too.

As far as disc sales in scope of totl revenue for anime; some series produce way more merch and make craptons of money that contribute way more to sales overall. One Piece alone probably makes more in merch than most mainstream and niche series do combined.

But then there's also factoring in budget, licensing, etc. Disc sales are definitely important, but it really comes down to examining the title. (Is it anime original, or a LN or manga adaption; does it even get a manga adaption? How much merch is produced? Does it have themed cafes? etc)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3