• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Who Is The Real Motoko Kusanagi?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gravediggernalk
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:14 am Reply with quote
The only "correct" portrayal of Major Kusanagi would be an actress with a fully prosthetic body, since she is neither Japanese nor white, but someone inside of the most generic(appearance-wise) prosthetic bodies available, to the point that one of the adaptations states that it's so generic that no one would attempt to harvest it for parts.
merr

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:16 am Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
RANGIT wrote:

Anyway, what's great about voiceover is that your looks and/or ethnicity don't play a part in getting cast at all. So unless we have a character who is specifically not Japanese in the original dub, I don't think ethnicity should play a role at all. By default, all Japanese speakers become English speakers in an English dub and that's what matters. If you can speak English and act the part, then by all means audition.

See this is the argument that I think people have always just accepted.
But why should it only apply to voice-over but not acting?
Why should an actor's ethnicity matter if they can act the part but not someone doing voice over?

I was being purposefully hyperbolic in my post above but it's something to stop and think about.

I agree that it's something worth taking about. As others noted though, Asian Americans are already decently represented with lead roles in anime voice over, whereas that's less true in Hollywood live action. The GiTS controversy exists in large part because of that underrepresentation, not just because the Major was originally written as Japanese.

A better comparison might be to ask why Funimation and other studios hire so few actors of African descent. (Yes, there's a few black voice actors but you can count on one hand the number who get consistent anime work.) Worse, on the rare occasions when a black character does appear in anime, they'll often cast a white actor to play the role with a "black" voice. There's something unsettling about that.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:14 pm Reply with quote
merr wrote;
Quote:
Worse, on the rare occasions when a black character does appear in anime, they'll often cast a white actor to play the role with a "black" voice. There's something unsettling about that.

Not really. If you are going to insist that only a black individual can voice a black character then you are, logically back to insisting that ancestry of any character is important in casting the role. You would be left with the majority of roles being done by Japanese Americans as the majority of characters are Japanese.

samuelp's point was that it doesn't matter who your ancestors were, for voice acting the only thing important is how you sound and your ability to voice act. He also suggest that ability to do the role should be more important than ethnicity in movies as well.
magvis

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Whitewashing? Give me a break. Sorry but you're not up to date. The major has been "white" all along, in spite of her name. Look at the YouTube interviews with Japanese fans. Most of them don't think a Japanese actress should play the role. The comment I've seen there most, and read from other sources, is basically, "The Major is white. What are you Westerners concerned about."
Re:SOUL

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:00 am Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
You know this debate makes me think if anyone has ever considered the "double standard" here that anime dub fans have...

No one is complaining that the vast majority of english dubbing voice actors/actresses aren't asian/japanese, despite voicing characters who are! So is it really only because of the visual appearance of the actor/actress that we care about diversity? There are definitely plenty of talented asians who also speak fluent English.
Where's the outcry over the "white-washing" at Funimation, for example?

(In case it's not clear I think this is a ridiculous idea but it's something to think about).

That's an idiotic comparison. While accents do exist, when anyone becomes fluent in a language they can adopt that languages accent. Have you never seen an Asian person with a perfect western accent? Why would people complain about the ethnicity of a voice actor when they are hired for their voice? It's in the name.

magvis wrote:
Whitewashing? Give me a break. Sorry but you're not up to date. The major has been "white" all along, in spite of her name. Look at the YouTube interviews with Japanese fans. Most of them don't think a Japanese actress should play the role. The comment I've seen there most, and read from other sources, is basically, "The Major is white. What are you Westerners concerned about."

Just because the Japanese think she's white it doesn't mean she is. You'd be better to ask the creator. But I've never heard that.

[Edit]: Combined consecutive posts. Errinundra.
TheAngryOtaku

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:26 am Reply with quote
I just really hope an over-simplified story doesn't turn it into something like "Jason Bourne with Robots"
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:55 am Reply with quote
Nom De Plume De Fanboy wrote:
Excellent article. Thank you guys for publishing this.

Now my short two bit opinion.
Really, these are two separate continuities. And I'm fine with that. I think the comic is good and the movie is excellent. The movie is more "of a piece", a more fully formed single work, but movies have to be that to be good. Action movie does not equal meandering fun, hardly ever.

Personally, I enjoyed the Major's character more in the comic, it is more fun to watch the different sides to her personality, but that is just my personal preference.

And I should say that the movie was my first introduction to anime, and so I'm biased as all hell towards it. Smile

well the reason why there was backlash was that they have the live action major non asian. though mamoru said in an IGN interview that anime movie as well as the manga that the major's cyborg body wasnt her original body as well as her name, so from his statement, the major could technically have originated from any nationality and not japaneese. that would make sense why the live action had scarlet as the major instead of an asian actress. not to mention of how the original movie ended since even in the manga, there was really NO actual origin story of the major at all so for all we know her name let alone her current cyborg body in the manga and the 1995 movie could have been a fake from the start.

though unless shirow himself also makes the same claims to mamoru's statement, most of those biased GITS fans are gonna claim BS to the statements and say its nothing more than a PR move.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2