• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Haim Saban: Possible 6-Movie Arc Planned for Power Rangers

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DrewH90

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:47 pm Reply with quote
assuming all goes well and they get their 6 movies this is what i would like to see from them.

second movie - pretty obvious but the Evil green ranger

Third Movie - the Green Candle

fourth movie - bring in lord zedd and upgrade to the thunder powers

fifth movie - introduce the white ranger

sixth movie - the wedding, i haven't seen the first movie so this is only if Rita survives the first movie otherwise this could be where you bring in Rito and do the ninja power stoy leaving a potential 7th movie to be Master Vile.
MagusGuardian

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:52 pm Reply with quote
personally you couldn't pay me to watch the movie, not to mention I just think it'll either bomb bad enough that the sequels get canceled or we've got another dragon ball evolution here
HyperGatack

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:26 pm Reply with quote
MagusGuardian wrote:
personally you couldn't pay me to watch the movie, not to mention I just think it'll either bomb bad enough that the sequels get canceled or we've got another dragon ball evolution here

Movie already made back half its budget, and critically, while not good, it's not doing as terrible as most kids show to movie adaptations (still preforming better than the Transformers movies. And remember Jem and the holograms? ... exactly. )
Dragon ball Evolution was terrible for entirely different reasons.
Power rangers was a story about five really old lookin high schoolers given fabulous secret powers by a benefactor that's a giant face to fight an evil witch with an army of Golem like monsters, that got adapted into a movie about five slightly older than average looking high school kids given fabulous secret powers by a large face benefactor to fight a murderous witch with an army of Golem like monsters. Is it the same as the tv show? No, but it's still enough where you could definitely see the reasoning behind some alterations.

Dragon ball Evolution made Goku white and threw him in high school, and hoped it'd coast on name alone.
revolutionotaku

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:40 pm Reply with quote
That's a lot of spoiler[Krispy Kreme]. Laughing
TheOtakuX

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:02 am Reply with quote
[quote="Stuart Smith"][quote="TranceLimit174"]Based on early tracking and audience reaction, it looks like Saban and Lionsgate will get their wish.

But having just come back from seeing it, I really didn't like it. I won't get into specifics for the sake of spoilers but I will say that it wasn't what I know the franchise to be where it matters. So they didn't "get it right" the first time, but I appear to be in the minority.[/quote]

Sounds like the new Transformers then. Nothing like the source material, but will appeal to those who aren't fans of the franchise.

-Stuart Smith[/quote]

I'm a fan of both those franchises, and I like the Transformers & Power Rangers movies as well (not as much as other parts of the franchises, but they're still good.)
SageModeKakarot

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:46 am Reply with quote
i dunno after seeing the movie 6 seems a bit of a stretch, 3 might be a better number, 4 at a maximum

now it wasn't a bad movie but it wasn't great either it was average

still the franchise has got steadily worse since saban brought it back from Disney (just look at Super Mega Force, what a load of crock that was)

they should sell it back to them at least they treated it with more respect than what Saban are doing now a days
Ryasha

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:58 pm Reply with quote
SageModeKakarot wrote:
i dunno after seeing the movie 6 seems a bit of a stretch, 3 might be a better number, 4 at a maximum

still the franchise has got steadily worse since saban brought it back from Disney (just look at Super Mega Force, what a load of crock that was)

they should sell it back to them at least they treated it with more respect than what Saban are doing now a days

Kinda hard to sell it back to people who don't want it.
That's why Saban has it again.
Considering Disney's decision at the end of their time with the rights was to reair the original Mighty Morphin Power Rangers but "revamp" it with cheesy and poorly done 60's Adam West Batman style comic book effects....I don't think Disney would be a good choice either.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:22 pm Reply with quote
SageModeKakarot wrote:

What did Disney do better? Genuinely asking, as someone who doesn't watch PR outside a few episodes to see how much is changed from sentai. More faithful? More serious? Less serious? Better budget?
Eldritcho

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
SageModeKakarot wrote:

What did Disney do better? Genuinely asking, as someone who doesn't watch PR outside a few episodes to see how much is changed from sentai. More faithful? More serious? Less serious? Better budget?

Disney moved production to New Zealand.
...That's about it, actually.

But in all seriousness, Disney was better from a strictly behind the scenes point of view. They were better at staying on budget without sacrificing on effects, knew how to market the series really well (it's Disney, go figure), and managed to adapt the Sentai footage without just being a straight adaptation. They weren't better than early Saban, just different with their own strengths and weaknesses. But they are definitely better than current Saban.

As for the movie, they are really jumping the gun if they think they can get six movies out of this. For all they know, the second week box-office could be crap, and, while they are still likely to make a sequel, the sequel could sell like crap too, killing it right their. And considering that a fair portion of the audience were probably just attending to see what all the fuss was about, it's unlikely they will turn up for a sequel to a movie that doesn't make any buzz. And going by the recent reviews, while this film isn't completely awful, it's definitely not buzz worthy.
Woomy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
TranceLimit174 wrote:
Based on early tracking and audience reaction, it looks like Saban and Lionsgate will get their wish.

But having just come back from seeing it, I really didn't like it. I won't get into specifics for the sake of spoilers but I will say that it wasn't what I know the franchise to be where it matters. So they didn't "get it right" the first time, but I appear to be in the minority.

Sounds like the new Transformers then. Nothing like the source material, but will appeal to those who aren't fans of the franchise.

-Stuart Smith

No, not at all. I just got back from seeing it, and for better or worse this is very much a Power Rangers film. If you weren't a fan of the franchise before, then I doubt this movie will change your mind. One of the people I went see it with who was never a fan, but was hoping this was a fresh take on the material, still walked away disappointed because it plays it so close to home.

I'm a longtime fan and it pretty much gave me what I expected. A Power Rangers film with the budget to actually fulfill upon its ambitions. It's by no means amazing, but if you go in just wanting to see a big budget episode of the show, this is it. Level your expectations, you'll probably be satisfied. The climatic battle is everything a Power Rangers fan would want.

But if I'm going to level with you critiquing it as a film, it doesn't do anything all that spectacular with the superhero formula. The actors are fine, and make these characters likable, and that's good because three quarters of this film is devoted to a very generic and by-the-numbers origin story. They don't suit up until the last 30 minutes. (Granted though, I stress again, this last 30 minutes is a Power Rangers blast)

But unfortunately, these characters seem sometimes a little underdeveloped. Well, mostly if you're not Jason or Billy. (Billy is great though btw) They hardly touch upon most of these characters stories, which is a shame because one of them is actually a pretty big step for the franchise.

Trini is our first gay Ranger. That's a great step for this franchise. However, when they do start trying for more emotionally character driven stuff, the feelings are only short lived. Trini is our first gay ranger struggling with identity, and it's only briefly touched upon. Same with Zack and the relationship with his ailing mother.

Like, there's potential to really do some compelling character stuff here, but it doesn't focus upon these aspects enough. Is it needed for a Power Rangers movie you may ask? I guess you can argue it's not crucial, but the story hound in me sees a story just begging to be deeper than a kiddie pool and I'd encourage that.

Anothet thing that may be an issue, is Elizabeth's Rita. Like, it's obvious she was having a blast with the role, but she's sometimes a jarring element in the film. This might sound weird since I praised the film for sticking true to the source, but Rita sticks so close to the source in her portrayal, that she sticks out like a sore thumb at times with just how silly she can get. She stepped right out of the 90s with Rita, and when the rest of the cast is giving it their all while still being fun and not taking you out of it, Rita was the reminder at just how goofy Power Rangers use to be and it got distracting and broke my immersion.

Does this make sense? One thing I think everyone can agree on, is Bill Hader's Alpha 5 is actually fun. He's not just that comic relief character you'll either find charming or hate, he's got some legitimate comedic prescence that hits with Hader's delivery. And Bryan Cranston as Zordon is also fine. I actually like some of the things they did with him. It's also very brief, but he's a little more dynamic.

Sory for babbling as I guess I posted a review. But, don't really believe the people who say this is some jarring interpretation of the franchise. Like, that's just.......not true. If it wasn't, I'd be the first to tell you. It's just yea, a big budget PR episode.

If you like that stuff, then you'll probably still appreciate that enough to walk away satisfied. If you are expecting more, or never liked PR in the first place, don't bother.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Woomy wrote:
Anothet thing that may be an issue, is Elizabeth's Rita. Like, it's obvious she was having a blast with the role, but she's sometimes a jarring element in the film. This might sound weird since I praised the film for sticking true to the source, but Rita sticks so close to the source in her portrayal, that she sticks out like a sore thumb at times with just how silly she can get. She stepped right out of the 90s with Rita, and when the rest of the cast is giving it their all while still being fun and not taking you out of it, Rita was the reminder at just how goofy Power Rangers use to be and it got distracting and broke my immersion.

The original Saban Power Rangers--like the Saban attempt at Sailor Moon Razz --was not interested in translating or dubbing anything remotely from the Japanese series apart from the battle footage.
After all, as long as they had their masks on while they fought the monsters, you could still sell the action figures, and it didn't matter who was under them.

For those who've seen JyuRanger, I don't think I'll get much disagreement that most Japanese kiddy-sentai is not given to subtlety in appealing to its kiddy audience.
Rita and her monsters was Saban's only other use of recycled Japanese footage, and...would I be giving away too much of my age if I said I always thought the dubbed TV scenes of Rita and her rubber-suited minions were giving me TOO many Sid & Marty Krofft flashbacks of Witchiepoo from the old HR Pufnstuf series, performance included?
(Kids, if you don't know, ask your parents, otherwise, I don't recommend going to YouTube by yourself... Shocked )

Obviously, that's not what the "cool 90's legacy!" movie had in mind, and only one of many albatrosses that was around the new producers' necks.
Jem & the Holograms had the same problem with goofy retro cartoon references in their movie, and solved them by dropping them out of the script completely, but that's not what our good, fan-faithful movie had the heart to do.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:47 pm Reply with quote
AnimeLordLuis wrote:
I would personally like the other Power Rangers movies to go beyond the Mighty Morphin series especially since their are so many other great PR series out there like In Space, Lost Galaxy, Lightspeed, Time Force etc. Smile

Mighty Morphin' is the only one the mainstream cares about though.

GATSU wrote:
Counting their chickens much? I guess they might have better chances of franchising it than Divergent, but I doubt there's much more demand for Power Rangers. Certainly not enough for six films, at least. Unless the last 3-4 are DTV. Rolling Eyes

There can be, if this movie captures the attention of a lot of kids who never cared about Power Rangers prior. That's what I think Haim Saban wants to do: Bring a new generation of kids into the franchise, and have them enjoy it through the movies.

Unless they release one every year though, I don't think they'll last six movies. Kids are what some call a "fleeting demographic," meaning they will age out of the target age range quickly. You only have about 6 or 7 years to finish before they get too old for it, or it's going to need to grow up with the audience (like with Harry Potter).

Now, some franchises, like Pokémon and SpongeBob, can pull it off because they get kids coming in at a rate about the same as (or greater than) the kids pulling out. If this follows strong continuity between movies, though, I can't see that happening.

I think Mr. Saban knows all this though, and I think he knows exactly what he's doing. Jumping the gun a bunch, but I'm sure his decades of experience selling to children means he's quite savvy about how they tick.

Woomy wrote:
But unfortunately, these characters seem sometimes a little underdeveloped. Well, mostly if you're not Jason or Billy. (Billy is great though btw) They hardly touch upon most of these characters stories, which is a shame because one of them is actually a pretty big step for the franchise.

Trini is our first gay Ranger. That's a great step for this franchise. However, when they do start trying for more emotionally character driven stuff, the feelings are only short lived. Trini is our first gay ranger struggling with identity, and it's only briefly touched upon. Same with Zack and the relationship with his ailing mother.

Do you mean "underdeveloped" as in the threads were not very resolved, or do you mean that the characters get over their problems too quickly? If it's the former, they might be setting things up for a sequel.
Primus

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:30 pm Reply with quote
SageModeKakarot wrote:

What kind of revisionist history is that? Disney had no respect for Power Rangers. The shows were given no funding, poor time slots (despite being the only first-run show on ABC Kids, it would often air at 6AM in major markets) and basically forgot about it after Dino Thunder. In fact, the showrunner for the last Disney produced season has said the company felt embarrassed by the franchise. It was cheap, cheesy and because of Toei and Bandai, something they never fully owned ... which is why they'd never want Power Rangers back. They have Star Wars and Marvel now.
mrsticky005

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:55 pm Reply with quote
How many seasons is Power Rangers? Like a million?
And people seriously think making six movies is going to be difficult?

I have yet to see the movie but just given the scope of the Power Rangers universe
there is a lot that can be explored in these upcoming five movies.

Movie 2 is virtually guaranteed to be BETTER than movie 1.
Why? Well the obvious part is that we pretty much know the Green Ranger will
play a pretty key role in it. Two, they don't have to spend so much time with their origins.
They can just jump right in and get to the good stuff...zord fighting galore!
Plus all the audience feed back. They will have a better idea of what audiences want
going into the second movie.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:05 pm Reply with quote
revolutionotaku wrote:
That's a lot of spoiler[Krispy Kreme]. Laughing

TBH, all the jokes/comments about this are the ONE thing I'm curious to see in this movie. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5