• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Haim Saban: Possible 6-Movie Arc Planned for Power Rangers

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TenCentFang

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Movie studios need to focus on making one good film instead of annual shared universe franchises. Sometimes I think the MCU really screwed up Hollywood.

Then again, this happens with video games too. Just look at Assassin's Creed, which is downright cancerous as a series.
SnowMusket

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:10 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:

The original Saban Power Rangers--like the Saban attempt at Sailor Moon Razz --was not interested in translating or dubbing anything remotely from the Japanese series apart from the battle footage.

The live action/animated Sailor Moon hybrid was Toon Makers not Saban. You can even see that it was made by Toon Makers in the very beginning of the video.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:39 pm Reply with quote
^ Yes, the animated/live action US version of Sailor Moon was created by Toon Makers. It is commonly referred to as SabanMoon, though, hence the confusion.

Ah...Sailor Mercury, the crippled redhead who flew around the galaxy in a wheelchair...I'm honestly surprised that this franchise didn't go that route. Seemed to really embody the whole inclusiveness theme that was prevalent among early 1990s cartoons.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:22 pm Reply with quote
TenCentFang wrote:
Movie studios need to focus on making one good film instead of annual shared universe franchises. Sometimes I think the MCU really screwed up Hollywood.

Then again, this happens with video games too. Just look at Assassin's Creed, which is downright cancerous as a series.

Shared universes make a lot of money though, due to greater audience investment.
Woomy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:57 pm Reply with quote
[quote="leafy sea dragon"]
AnimeLordLuis wrote:

Woomy wrote:
But unfortunately, these characters seem sometimes a little underdeveloped. Well, mostly if you're not Jason or Billy. (Billy is great though btw) They hardly touch upon most of these characters stories, which is a shame because one of them is actually a pretty big step for the franchise.

Trini is our first gay Ranger. That's a great step for this franchise. However, when they do start trying for more emotionally character driven stuff, the feelings are only short lived. Trini is our first gay ranger struggling with identity, and it's only briefly touched upon. Same with Zack and the relationship with his ailing mother.

Do you mean "underdeveloped" as in the threads were not very resolved, or do you mean that the characters get over their problems too quickly? If it's the former, they might be setting things up for a sequel.

A little bit of both, sorry for not being clearer.

Like, Trini and Zack have some potentially compelling stuff that I felt in the film, but like I said, it was barely touched upon.

And Kimberly's deal in this one is that she's allegedly a bully. But like, we only know about one bad thing she did, which she talks over with Jason about how much she regretted it, and that's about it. Everything is just OK now.

Honestly, it was just kinda dumb. It would have made more sense to maybe give something like this to Jason considering this was one of the things apparently holding them back from Morphin. I just don't think it was that bad because I never got a sense of this aspect of her character.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:10 pm Reply with quote
TenCentFang wrote:

Well sure if you ignore the popularity of the 1st, 2nd,3rd,4th,5th,6th,7th, & 9th games. And other far more divisive series like Kingdom Hearts, Call Of Duty, Battlefield, Final Fantasy etc.

mrsticky005 wrote:
Movie 2 is virtually guaranteed to be BETTER than movie 1.

Almost everyone figured that would be the case with The Amazing Spider-Man 2.

Primus wrote:
Like what happened with the Detergent series.

....That supposed to be an insult or a misspelling?
TenCentFang

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:34 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

Shared universes make a lot of money though, due to greater audience investment.

That's certainly what the suits think.

BadNewsBlues wrote:

Well sure if you ignore the popularity of the 1st, 2nd,3rd,4th,5th,6th,7th, & 9th games. And other far more divisive series like Kingdom Hearts, Call Of Duty, Battlefield, Final Fantasy etc.

I don't have the decades it would take to explain why this is...inaccurate at best.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:39 pm Reply with quote
TenCentFang wrote:

I don't have the decades it would take to explain why this is...inaccurate at best.

..Okay?
Woomy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:24 am Reply with quote
TenCentFang wrote:

When the Avengers came out, it kind of made cinematic history. It was the culmination of what was a big gamble on a studio's part to put faith in audiences to stick around for what was going to be multi-movie spanning storytelling. Something not many even dared attempted because there was nothing that guarantees it would have succeeded. Just imagine that IF Iron Man failed back in 2008, we would not have the MCU as we know it. Avengers was the milestone that showed people this worked and could continue to work.

(Some could argue the old Universal Monster movies and TOHO already did this, but never on the same level as the MCU and what it actually is)

On one hand, it opened a precedent on just what film makers could now accomplish that proposes exciting possibilities, on the other it also has people wanting to follow a now profitable trend which has some people doing even the most arbitrary of things for just a shared universe. (who is asking for a Hasbro shared universe exactly?)

But back to the Power Rangers, I think this is one series where that could work. They have literally over 25 years worth of source material to pull from. From potential solo spinoffs, to direct sequels and even new generations of Rangers. The fan in me is giddy at the potential slate of films that could come out of it.

But I wouldn't think on that too hard. This film has to succeed for them to even push forward with a sequel which is also still up in the air. And who knows, maybe the fact that this is planned could work in its favor.

I mean, we all know what a cinematic universe run by people who don't have any clue of what they're doing whatsoever really looks like.

Looking at you DCEU. >.>
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:37 am Reply with quote
Woomy wrote:
[A little bit of both, sorry for not being clearer.

Like, Trini and Zack have some potentially compelling stuff that I felt in the film, but like I said, it was barely touched upon.

And Kimberly's deal in this one is that she's allegedly a bully. But like, we only know about one bad thing she did, which she talks over with Jason about how much she regretted it, and that's about it. Everything is just OK now.

Honestly, it was just kinda dumb. It would have made more sense to maybe give something like this to Jason considering this was one of the things apparently holding them back from Morphin. I just don't think it was that bad because I never got a sense of this aspect of her character.

Ah, I see. Not the sort of thing they're saving for the sequel, or perhaps not at the moment. (Maybe they'll build upon that later.) Though I know it's difficult to write five characters from scratch as co-protagonists and give them all the screentime and character development needed to be compelling in the span of two hours.

TenCentFang wrote:
leafy sea dragon wrote:

That's certainly what the suits think.

And so far, they seem to be right.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:11 am Reply with quote
Woomy wrote:
TenCentFang wrote:

When the Avengers came out, it kind of made cinematic history. It was the culmination of what was a big gamble on a studio's part to put faith in audiences to stick around for what was going to be multi-movie spanning storytelling. Something not many even dared attempted because there was nothing that guarantees it would have succeeded. Just imagine that IF Iron Man failed back in 2008, we would not have the MCU as we know it. Avengers was the milestone that showed people this worked and could continue to work.

Just blogged about that this week (on the topic of "Last March, Batman, this March Kong...Seriously, has Warner finally forgotten how to make just ONE movie anymore?"):
Yes, it was the MCU, but more importantly, it was the fact that Disney/MCU got away with it--Otherwise, it's representing what a lot of studios are seeking, after the '08 writers' strike finally made original screenwriters' spec scripts too much hassle to deal with: How to write movies that are already written. Cuts out the expensive part.

Namely, that '08 and Iron Man just happened to catch attention right exactly at the serendipitous point where Warner was coming off the free ride it had enjoyed since 2001--
The year they release the first of the seven Harry Potter stories and the first of the LOTR trilogy, which were already filming on an assembly line to deliver the same movie every year by the clock--Every December, an LOTR, every November or June a Harry Potter. That's the useful part of having a multi-book arc like Hunger Games or Twilight; unfortunately the bad part is, that being books, they eventually end. And when book arcs end, Warner finally found themselves without a Harry Potter or a LOTR every year by the clock anymore, and had to make up Fantastic Beasts and the Hobbit Trilogy.
That's the reason franchises are so interested in "Side Stories": It might take two years to deliver a straight sequel franchise, so what do you put in the years in between? Filler, to keep the House Brand Name alive. Even if Star Wars Ep. VIII is another year away, here, here's Rogue One in the meantime.
When studios announce their franchises, do they announce the stories? No: They announce the release dates, and come up with the stories later.

Case in point--Lionsgate told us there would be five more movies, and the years they were planning to release them. They didn't quite mention what the stories would be about, and possibly they don't know themselves.
All they knew for sure was HOW MANY of them there would be...Well, that's something, I guess.
SageModeKakarot

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:06 am Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
What kind of revisionist history is that? Disney had no respect for Power Rangers. The shows were given no funding, poor time slots (despite being the only first-run show on ABC Kids, it would often air at 6AM in major markets) and basically forgot about it after Dino Thunder. In fact, the showrunner for the last Disney produced season has said the company felt embarrassed by the franchise. It was cheap, cheesy and because of Toei and Bandai, something they never fully owned ... which is why they'd never want Power Rangers back. They have Star Wars and Marvel now.

and yet even with all that they still made better shows than Saban has done SINCE getting it back

but i was just using Disney as an example, the Shows since Saban got it back have been terrible, even the worst of the Disney era shows are better then the stuff being done now
TenCentFang

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:31 am Reply with quote
SageModeKakarot wrote:

but i was just using Disney as an example, the Shows since Saban got it back have been terrible, even the worst of the Disney era shows are better then the stuff being done now

Samurai was mediocre and a poor copy of the Sentai, while Megaforce was the only truly horrendous of the current era. Luckily, Dino Charge was pretty decent and people have hopes for Ninja Steel.

That said, I feel like Saban only got PR back to use as a film franchise, and I am not impressed. It reminds me of Kris Straub's video about the New 52-"If I take my kids to this movie, are they gonna see like, an adventure, or the Power Rangers having an orgy on a roof?"
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:53 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Primus wrote:
Like what happened with the Detergent series.

....That supposed to be an insult or a misspelling?

I'm guessing that's auto-spellcheck, but er,....let's keep it, considering. Laughing

TenCentFang wrote:
That said, I feel like Saban only got PR back to use as a film franchise, and I am not impressed. It reminds me of Kris Straub's video about the New 52-"If I take my kids to this movie, are they gonna see like, an adventure, or the Power Rangers having an orgy on a roof?"

I haven't read the New 52, but having just sat through DC Animated's New-52 "Justice League: War", I feel your pain. Sad

Saban wanted to do what Paramount/Hasbro had originally HOPED to do with Jem & the Holograms (before they threw out anything that couldn't be cross-universed with the Transformers), ie. to not only resurrect an old toy-marketing line at intervals of various generations, but appeal to the old one that recognized the name while trying to persuade new-generation kids how cool it was! (And more importantly, not to giggle at the generational-kitsch associations with the earlier version.)

Jem's new third-party producers didn't care, and threw out every baby with the bathwater that wasn't updatable for the new kids--
But Saban pretty much only has Power Rangers and Digimon to fall back on for marketing legacies, and they're not particularly in control of whether Digimon makes any more movies, so...
TranceLimit174

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Woomy wrote:
No, not at all. I just got back from seeing it, and for better or worse this is very much a Power Rangers film. If you weren't a fan of the franchise before, then I doubt this movie will change your mind. One of the people I went see it with who was never a fan, but was hoping this was a fresh take on the material, still walked away disappointed because it plays it so close to home.

I'm a longtime fan and it pretty much gave me what I expected. A Power Rangers film with the budget to actually fulfill upon its ambitions. It's by no means amazing, but if you go in just wanting to see a big budget episode of the show, this is it. Level your expectations, you'll probably be satisfied. The climatic battle is everything a Power Rangers fan would want.

But if I'm going to level with you critiquing it as a film, it doesn't do anything all that spectacular with the superhero formula. The actors are fine, and make these characters likable, and that's good because three quarters of this film is devoted to a very generic and by-the-numbers origin story. They don't suit up until the last 30 minutes. (Granted though, I stress again, this last 30 minutes is a Power Rangers blast)

Genuinely curious, how did this feel like a big budget version of Power Rangers to you? Because here's what I didn't get but believe are reasonable expectations from a Power Rangers film: spoiler[flips, shout-outs, explosions, a morphin roll call, sparks, inventive fight choreography and camera work, more explosions, gimmicky weapons, a Megazord transformation sequence, an actual finishing move, poses and lastly, POSES! because it needs to be mentioned twice. My God...[/i]]

Instead I got a YA drama that was ashamed of its source material otherwise it wouldn't have taken so long for them to get into action, and then said action wouldn't have been so uninspired and minimal. They made it pretty obvious that they really didn't want the Zords or the Megazord in the movie at all otherwise spoiler[3/4 of the battle wouldn't have been shots of the Rangers in their cockpits with their visors off.]

Woomy wrote:
Trini is our first gay Ranger. That's a great step for this franchise. However, when they do start trying for more emotionally character driven stuff, the feelings are only short lived. Trini is our first gay ranger struggling with identity, and it's only briefly touched upon.

Also may we please stop giving credit for this when it isn't due? It was one throwaway line that was an implication rather than a full-throated commitment, but more importantly Trini never got a moment as a Ranger. I can't tell you one cool thing she did or how she contributed to the battle at the end. So to call her a landmark when the character is so minimal and was barely on screen as a hero is pushing it. Instead, we should be talking about the break-out star RJ Cyler who gave us the only likable character for his respectful portrayal of an "on the spectrum" superhero.

leafy sea dragon wrote:
There can be, if this movie captures the attention of a lot of kids who never cared about Power Rangers prior. That's what I think Haim Saban wants to do: Bring a new generation of kids into the franchise, and have them enjoy it through the movies.

Good luck. This movie failed as a toy commercial (which is what Power Rangers/Super Sentai is) because the Rangers effectively had no toys to sell and the Megazord does nothing that would make you want to buy it in addition to being ugly as sin.

mrsticky005 wrote:
Movie 2 is virtually guaranteed to be BETTER than movie 1.
Why? Well the obvious part is that we pretty much know the Green Ranger will
play a pretty key role in it. Two, they don't have to spend so much time with their origins.
They can just jump right in and get to the good stuff...zord fighting galore!
Plus all the audience feed back. They will have a better idea of what audiences want
going into the second movie.

Since when is it okay for Movie 1 to be "all set-up?" We should have gotten the good stuff now, in this film. I've been very surprised at how many people have been okay with this movie being nothing but universe establishment. And truthfully, they barely expanded on existing Mighty Morphin Mythos in the first place which makes it all the more frustrating that they took an hour and a half to do what an over 20-year old show does annually in 20 minutes.

Oh, and the big HYPE moment in the film is so awkward and out of place with everything else, but people's nostalgia triggers are so easily switched on that this moment of pandering laziness is acceptable.

Obviously, I have a ton of issues and more with the movie as for me it was distinctly NOT Power Rangers in the ways that really matter. But what does matter, is Lionsgate made the movie that they exactly wanted to make and it seems to have found its audience. I'll try not to be a hater since now another mass of people has a Rangers team for them, but for me this incarnation is #NotMyRangers.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5