• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Haim Saban: Possible 6-Movie Arc Planned for Power Rangers

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:14 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Do the Star Trek and Fast & Furious films have a set number planned? I thought they were going to just keep going for as long as they remain profitable.

I don't know about Star Trek--"Beyond" pretty much sank its "house brand" future at Paramount overnight--but since F&F is Universal's "house brand", they've tried to look at...yep..."Solo spinoff side-stories" for Dwayne Johnson, Vin Diesel, etc., precisely BECAUSE it takes two years to do a real F&F sequel.

Beyond didn't quite hit expectations, but it did ultimately turn a profit after home video, digital, and TV sales. The lower performance of the movie was also largely due to the oversaturation at the summer box office. Bourne hit right before it, and Suicide Squad right after. It was bad scheduling. Not to mention, their marketing was a bit lackluster, especially given that it fell on the series 50th anniversary.

A fourth film in the series is already being planned, though I imagine Paramount will likely lower the budget and pick a less crowded time frame. Beauty and the Beast, Stars Wars, and some of the Marvel films have shown that you don't need a summer time release to get huge box office numbers anymore. But I imagine they will still wait at least two years before releasing it.

Not to mention, Paramount has been in complete chaos for most of the past year with a potential sale of part of the studio, being shopped to Chinese investors, and the possibility of their CEO being fired. With new money being pumped into the studio, new investors on board, a new CEO for both Paramount and Viacom, things should be settling down and the studio should be able to be more focused and get their marketing right. They aren't going to give up on a nearly 40 year old multi billion dollar film franchise just because one film underperformed and took longer to make money than hoped. If Star Trek can bounce back from the box office disaster that was Nemesis, it can bounce back from Beyond.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:22 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
A fourth film in the series is already being planned, though I imagine Paramount will likely lower the budget and pick a less crowded time frame. Beauty and the Beast, Stars Wars, and some of the Marvel films have shown that you don't need a summer time release to get huge box office numbers anymore. But I imagine they will still wait at least two years before releasing it.

If Paramount enviously thinks Beauty/Beast, Doctor Strange and Rogue One made money because of release dates, they're even stupider/more studio-voodoo superstitious than I thought. Confused
(Well, okay, release dates were pretty much all B&B had going for it...)

Quote:
Not to mention, Paramount has been in complete chaos for most of the past year with a potential sale of part of the studio, being shopped to Chinese investors, and the possibility of their CEO being fired. With new money being pumped into the studio, new investors on board, a new CEO for both Paramount and Viacom, things should be settling down and the studio should be able to be more focused and get their marketing right. They aren't going to give up on a nearly 40 year old multi billion dollar film franchise just because one film underperformed and took longer to make money than hoped. If Star Trek can bounce back from the box office disaster that was Nemesis, it can bounce back from Beyond.

Add to that, the problem that every studio now "needs" their own animated division to stay in the game with Disney, Universal and Sony, and Paramount is the only one "without" one.
Most of their animation division is in Nickelodeon productions, but apart from that, they pretty much kicked their division out of the boat and bailed water, canceling "The Little Prince" to dump unceremoniously on Netflix, dropping "Monster Trucks" into a January black-hole, and putting all their eggs back in a third Spongebob movie's basket.

Simply put, they know they need SOMETHING--It was supposed to be the Ninja Turtles last summer (another CGI-heavy Nick production), but now they've got the entire studio riding on Transformers 5's ability to get the "new Hasbro Universe" going. As we anime J-fans say, "Rots o' ruck". Razz
Star Trek was hoping to be boosted not just by the Abrams-verse "Beyond"--now with Justin Lin, one of Hollywood's two "Instant franchise" go-to directors--but by the new "Trek: Discovery" series, that already seems to be facing delays on an obscure channel that nobody's subscribing to (remember Voyager and UPN?), and controversy about their latest bit of canon cleverness that divided the fans. I wouldn't wait up nights for that fourth film.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5