• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Let's Visit Akihabara! Part I

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
championferret

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:44 am Reply with quote
@leafy sea dragon: I guess I should clarify what I mean by 'fast food', I mean places like Mcdonalds and KFC. (So Taco Bell, Taco Johns and whathaveyou). Thats what I find strange and is what I associate with 'bad mexican' (while also not associating it with mexican at all...)
EDIT: I recognize its very unfair to judge mexican food in america by the fastfood varieites, but it was because I had a friend who raved about how much they loved mexican food constantly and how good it was and promised me that we'd go get some... and then we went to Taco John's Laughing

Not being able to try a lot of the places you refer to is one of my regrets about my trip though.

My original point was that I dont think any mexican food in Japan is capable of tasting as bad as that Taco John's did to me.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:22 am Reply with quote
championferret wrote:
@leafy sea dragon: I guess I should clarify what I mean by 'fast food', I mean places like Mcdonalds and KFC. (So Taco Bell, Taco Johns and whathaveyou). Thats what I find strange and is what I associate with 'bad mexican' (while also not associating it with mexican at all...)
EDIT: I recognize its very unfair to judge mexican food in america by the fastfood varieites, but it was because I had a friend who raved about how much they loved mexican food constantly and how good it was and promised me that we'd go get some... and then we went to Taco John's Laughing

Not being able to try a lot of the places you refer to is one of my regrets about my trip though.

My original point was that I dont think any mexican food in Japan is capable of tasting as bad as that Taco John's did to me.

Ah, all right then. You mean the big corporate chains and such. (To my knowledge, Taco Johns does not exist in the American southwest. Neither does Moe's Southwest Grill, for that matter, both of which surprise visitors from the midwest and the east coast who expect to see them here and instead see Del Taco, ¡Que Ricos!, and King Taco.) Oddly, around here, there IS a Mexico-based corporate fast food chain, El Pollo Loco, which does flame-grilled chicken. For a while, it was authentically Mexican, but Denny's bought the American branch for El Pollo Loco, and they do all sorts of weird stuff now, though they always keep it sufficiently Mexican-like (such as having Antonio Banderas hosting the TV commercials promoting stuff like buttery shrimp bowls and tacos al carbon), albeit with a weird obsession with avocados. (About three-quarters of the menu has avocados in it.)

Nevertheless, none of these places serve avocado all by itself, which is why I had to stare at that menu of that Tex-Mex place in Japan for a while. If you want avocado by itself, you go to the grocery store and buy your own whole avocados. There are options on menus to ADD avocado to things, but that menu looks like it's considered an entree of its own.
omiya

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:43 am Reply with quote
In this corner of the world was still showing at Eurospace Shibuya on 21st March, when I saw it (and the cinema was almost full) :
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:47 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Nevertheless, none of these places serve avocado all by itself, which is why I had to stare at that menu of that Tex-Mex place in Japan for a while. If you want avocado by itself, you go to the grocery store and buy your own whole avocados. There are options on menus to ADD avocado to things, but that menu looks like it's considered an entree of its own.

Most bizarre. The fact that dishes in a Tex-Mex restaurant may feature avocados prolifically is of no surprise—the ingredient is a delicious one. By itself it would be quite meritless though. I'd like to think there are bread-like accompaniments over which to spread it, at least.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3