• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: AnimEigo's You're Under Arrest License Ends in January

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ljaesch

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:43 pm Reply with quote
I've really been getting the impression lately that AnimEigo is quietly pulling itself out of the anime business, especially since all we hear from them anymore on the anime front has to do with the anime licenses that the company is losing.

However, I do give them credit for announcing to the anime fanbase that they are losing the license to a property, and especially for giving as much notice as they do. At least it gives the fans of the property a chance to try to acquire AnimeEigo's releases for it before they officially go OOP.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Gilles Poitras

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:02 pm Reply with quote
You can still get two of the box sets, 2 and 4, from AnimEigo, the boxes came with a bonus disk.

http://www.animeigo.com/products/anime/youre-under-arrest

If folks want AnimEigo to license more anime consider buying titles from them that you don't own. They have had major gems in the past that no one has rescued.
Weiss_Yohji

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:20 pm Reply with quote
AnimEigo's not even going to bother renewing the license for You're Under Arrest? Don't they even give a shit?

Looks like FUNimation, Bandai, or some other company should just buy AnimEigo.
AnimeNerd25

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:52 pm Reply with quote
It's sad to see AnimEigo lose the license to YUA. But what bugs me is that The Anime Network streams season 1 of YUA on their website. Does this mean that Sentai Filmworks might rescue license YUA season one? It would make sense because they have the second and third seasons already.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Weiss_Yohji wrote:
AnimEigo's not even going to bother renewing the license for You're Under Arrest? Don't they even give a shit?

They already have the license for years. Unless the re-license is cheap, whatever return of investment they will get back from it is mostly in the past, not in the future. (It's like re-signing an aging sports player - his best days are behind him.)

Weiss_Yohji wrote:

Looks like FUNimation, Bandai, or some other company should just buy AnimEigo.

What's the point? They don't have that many licenses left. Laughing
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I think Animeigo's sort of lost it, ever since they let FUNimation have Yu Yu Hakusho. That would've been the show to get them the kind of exposure they normally wouldn't get with their other properties, and they just fiddled around with niche anime licenses they were only going to have a few years on. [Macross and KOR.] It just seems like they totally missed the boat on the anime bubble and the emerging DVD market, and never really came back since then.
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Looks as though AnimEigo is getting out of the anime business.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Kabuman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:21 am Reply with quote
This is sad. Can they even be called Animeigo anymore if they lose their anime licenses? When they lose their UY license in September they'll be selling more live-action DVDs than anime. Shouldn't they just change their name?
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:45 am Reply with quote
Should get the Bubblegum Crisis OAVs before AnimEigo's license expires.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:49 am Reply with quote
Gilles Poitras wrote:
You can still get two of the box sets, 2 and 4, from AnimEigo, the boxes came with a bonus disk.

http://www.animeigo.com/products/anime/youre-under-arrest

If folks want AnimEigo to license more anime consider buying titles from them that you don't own. They have had major gems in the past that no one has rescued.

I've been equivocating over how to buy You're Under Arrest for a while. I've been unable to decide whether I should go through the nuisance of gathering the box sets or just buy the single discs.

I'm still not sure, but in light of this, I should probably hurry at least a little.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Deadwing

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:53 am Reply with quote
Well, it looks like I'll have to pick me up a copy before January. I put it off for years since I had rented it from a local anime shop some 8 or 9 years ago, but I better get it while the getting's good.

GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:
There's no such thing as a R1 label that can hold a license for a decade. Nobody holds on to a property that long.

Actually, some of them have. If we're not counting "licensors" that are really just the American branch of the Japanese company that produced a series (e.g., Bandai in the case of Gundam, Tenchi in the case of Pioneer), then Funimation has had DBZ for 15 years, and they've had some other properties (Blue Gender, Yu Yu Hakusho) for about 10 years. Manga has had the rights to several properties, including the original Ghost in the Shell film, since the 90s. ADV had Evangelion and Devil Hunter Yohko (and perhaps other titles) for well over 10 years. Viz has had the rights to the Ranma ½ anime since 1994. And AnimEigo has had the rights to Madox-01 (their first ever release) and Bubblegum Crisis since the late 80s (source for BGC; I actually have a copy of that magazine somewhere), which makes those the oldest existing licenses, and they may have had Urusei Yatsura for just as long. So, it's far from unheard of for a licensor to have held on for a title for a decade or longer.

Quote:
Also, I don't see AE going under, I see Woodhead retiring(the man has 2teenage sons and a Japanese wife) and appointing one his close friends to replace him or maybe his Japanese brother in-laws. AE lives off of live action stuff, thats what's helped keep them going.

They're a scrappy little company, that's for sure. They've been in the business since 1988, longer than any other licensor of anime (well, Viz is older, but they didn't start licensing anime until the 90s).
RoverTX

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:33 am Reply with quote
This show is a total buy..... except for strike man...... god how I hate him. How can any character be any more annoying. The worst part is I can't decided if he is worse in the subs or in the dub.... but besides that the show is awesome, its very funny, with a little slice of life, and some really light fan servicespoiler[(which half the time is used in jokes about a certain officer who is not what she seems)].
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:36 am Reply with quote
Gilles:
Quote:
If folks want AnimEigo to license more anime consider buying titles from them that you don't own.

I have. In fact, I just salvaged the rest of UY. I'm not sure what the hell goes into their licenses nowadays. I mean, some obscure space thingey which would probably be a low-profile release from Kino? Gimme a break.

enurtsol:
Quote:
Unless the re-license is cheap, whatever return of investment they will get back from it is mostly in the past, not in the future.

Well, they could've still re-issued it all as thin-packs...

Surrender: Just wait for someone to bring it out cheaper.
Finny-chan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:53 am Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
Could be a good thing, I say. Maybe some other company that's actually not dead can get it, now and rerelease it.

Maybe Sentai might get it since they have the sequels?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2