• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Columnist Criticizes Japanese Environmental Ministry's Moe Girls as Sexist

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
masat01

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:02 pm Reply with quote
AHHHHHHH!!!!!!
STOP!!!!!
STOP TRYING TO FORCE THIS EVERYTHING IS SEXIST BULLSHIT!!! IT'S MEANT TO APPEAL TO A CERTAIN AUDIENCE. STOOOOOOOOP
KH91

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Half-Egyptian, half-Japanese

That's where I stopped reading.
TrailOfDead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:07 pm Reply with quote
masat01 wrote:
IT'S MEANT TO APPEAL TO A CERTAIN AUDIENCE.

what audience and how?

KH91 wrote:
Quote:

why?
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:11 pm Reply with quote
TrailOfDead wrote:
masat01 wrote:
IT'S MEANT TO APPEAL TO A CERTAIN AUDIENCE.

what audience and how?

KH91 wrote:
Quote:

why?

Hello, i'm part of that audience, how do you do?
Wtv

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Don't really want to start anything, but you can search Aikatsu Stars on Google. Those are clearly moe girls. The demographic of the show is little girls. It's true this style were created for men in the past, but nowadays they really appeal to young people in general. Although it makes sense that older people won't recognize it.

Still, they should make a bishounen version, too.
FtKaru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Specifically, Morooka criticized sorori kao depictions of women that include facial expressions that tend to appeal to men.

Out of all the inane things to criticize, anime facial expressions? C'mon, it's not as if these ads are plastered with ahegao or something. As much as I disagree with past criticism on this kind of thing, at least other people targeted something like absurdly over-sexualized characters. These facial expressions are as innocuous as it gets. Even the characters themselves are incredibly tame.

The better question is what kind of facial expression on these depictions wouldn't appeal to men in some way?
omegaproxy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:27 pm Reply with quote
They need to add male muscular characters to this environmental ad thing.
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:31 pm Reply with quote
If this was several years ago I maybe would have engaged this kind of criticism with more vigor but frankly I'm tired of this kind of thing so I'll just say I respectfully disagree with this person's opinion.
Aquamine-Amarine

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:39 pm Reply with quote
They're fictional characters. Get over it. I swear these people wake up in the morning and look for things to be offended by.
Shinuki

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:39 pm Reply with quote
I wonder when those people will finally realise that they're turning theirselves more and more into some kind of "joke".

Over the last three years, i became so much tired of this constant bullshit from these people telling that everything is sexist, homophobic, racist, misogynist and blah blah blah that i barely can't take anyone that uses this terms seriously anymore.

And about the article, this woman's complaints are some new kind of stupid.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:41 pm Reply with quote
There are other thematic issues with this campaign, it could also be interpreted as a "NEET bashing" campaign which clearly overlooks social stigma or inaccurate methods of dealing with those that have actual mental health issues that don't fit the usual mold of a staunch conservative society.

It is only interpretably sexist as the poster girl is being leaned upon to conform to social expectations so she can be a "lovely productive member in society", it could have easily been defused if there was an immediate male counterpart version, yet it would likely still have the unintentional stigmatization of NEETs.

Back to the original headline, this is simply a case of over reacting into thinking that "moe anime characters are demeaning to Women" simply based on the nature that the animators exaggerate the animation quality for trends in "cute".
(and don't get me started on regular promotion trends that always try to push the idea of adult women trying to look decades young in Dress/Makeup/healthcare that don't even need to use 2d anime poster girls)
slau783

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:45 pm Reply with quote
I think if Morooka really wants to make a difference she needs to tackle the issues of gender inequality and sexism in Egypt and other middle east countries before going after this.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Sexist or not, perverted or not, I rather ask for equality.
C'mon only guys get the fun? Some hot dudes counterparts won't hurt.
Hardgear

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Japan, if there is ONE lesson you should learn from the West, it is that you ABSOLUTELY NEED to nip pests like this in the bud before they start infiltrating all positions of power and influence they can find with the intention of wrecking your entire society. We made the mistake of dismissing them as harmless, and now we are forced to fight them trying to insert their agenda into LITERALLY EVERYTHING.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Shut up Tumblr.

Normally I am far more open minded, but this? Shut up Tumblr.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7