• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Atlus Debuts Persona 5 Launch Trailer, Limits Player Streaming Due to Spoilers

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RyuDiceFreak

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Man do I want this game~! But I can't afford it atm. -sigh-
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
content ID claim for streaming past July 7 in the game.

Good luck with that.

1. There's other websites
2. As long as they add commentary, it can be argued to be a transformative work and thus covered by Fair Use. Good luck blocking it, Atlus.
3. There's already hundreds of videos of the game online from japan and import
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Quote:
content ID claim for streaming past July 7 in the game.

Good luck with that.

1. There's other websites
2. As long as they add commentary, it can be argued to be a transformative work and thus covered by Fair Use. Good luck blocking it, Atlus.
3. There's already hundreds of videos of the game online from japan and import

I do wonder what the point of blocking is after a certain point. I've played games that would have a pop-up for a blocked cutscene, which seemed silly when the games were two years old.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Tryingto keep a "secret" on the internet. This is so backwards, stupid and abusive it could come from Nintendo!

[quote="Kougeru"]
Quote:

They've actually been having a lot of luck with this, at least on YouTube. The platform is skewed on their favor.
jesusalcala11

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:07 pm Reply with quote
I hope this is a marketing ploy and not some odd attempt at retaining spoilers from a product that was released 7 months ago in Japan.
Hunter Sopko

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Not really a marketing ploy. The game won't even let you take screenshots. Period. It even prevents the system from taking trophy screenshots. It's so silly and backwards that it could only be a result of Japanese corporate culture.
dark13

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Game is amazing Wink so far

Last edited by dark13 on Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
dark13

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:19 pm Reply with quote
huh Atlus an understanding company asking nicely to people not to spoil the game for others, while pieces of shits who are scum of the earth ( aka "fans" ) are giving them shit for asking something reasonable, these are the type of people who 1 should get a life and 2 stop being such dick bags to Atlus USA who want people to experience the game like the Japanese did. ( but I'm wasting time talking to thick headed morons)
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:20 pm Reply with quote
You can always post the spoilers on most gaming forums, this is just a recipe for spolier posts out of spite.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:23 pm Reply with quote
If this was really about spoilers, they should've tried as hard as they could have to get a worldwide release going. I was spoiled about one of the game's big twists on Day 1 when it came out in Japan because I don't think Atlus JP thought that people would dig through the game's data.

Nah, this is just Atlus JP being ass backwards. I know a lot of devs that do story heavy games but they don't outright threaten you with DMCA and takedown notices. They don't do anything in fact.

It's hilarious that Yakuza Zero's probably the best selling entry in that series in the West and I can grantee you that was because of the streams that were going on around the time of its release which did wonders for promotion of the game, more than Sega of America possibly could have and it worked.

Personally hope there's some blowback with this to make Atlus JP reconsider this. Make no mistake, this isn't Atlus USA. This is pretty much all Atlus JP.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:37 pm Reply with quote
dark13 wrote:
huh Atlus an understanding company asking nicely to people not to spoil the game for others, while pieces of shits who are scum of the earth ( aka "fans" ) are giving them shit for asking something reasonable, these are the type of people who 1 should get a life and 2 stop being such dick bags to Atlus USA who want people to experience the game like the Japanese did. ( but I'm wasting time talking to thick headed morons)

Yeah, because not even letting you take a screenshot is "asking nicely". Just as much as throwing you to the floor, handcuffing you and throwing you into a cell is "asking you nicely to keep them company".
SpiritualRemains

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:53 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Yuvelir"]Tryingto keep a "secret" on the internet. This is so backwards, stupid and abusive it could come from Nintendo!

Kougeru wrote:
Quote:

They've actually been having a lot of luck with this, at least on YouTube. The platform is skewed on their favor.

Yeah, Fair Use is a legal defense that can be determined by a judge in a court of law. It doesn't prevent the company from dragging you to court. At some point, if you're trying to use something under Fair Use, you need to be willing to put your money where your mouth is.
Hunter Sopko

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:03 pm Reply with quote
dark13 wrote:

This is probably A-Grade troll bait, but either way it makes me recall all those times I was strapped down and forced against my will to watch all those spoilers via LPs.
Amiantos

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Unless they have hdcp enabled people with 3Rd party capture software and such can keep streaming just fine. I find this to be ass backwards but not the first time Atlas has done bone headed moves.
Kidkidd

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Sounds like a japanese company not understanding the current climate of the internet and the popularity of streaming and youtube lets players. It's a part of the system now, if people don't want to be spoiled, they wont watch a twitch stream. If someone is stupid enough to post actual spoilers in their video titles, they would get ripped to shreds to begin with. If a youtube video contains spoilers, a player who doesnt want to see it wont click on it. This is just a really stupid move from atlus that is only going to generate bad PR, and wont actually save anyone from being spoiled.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3