• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Licenses Sagrada Reset TV Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brynhild

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:11 am Reply with quote
this was one of the 3 titles i actually wanted to see this season. GG.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:13 am Reply with quote
TnKtRk wrote:
wah... Sad
competition sucks.
why can't it be all communistic and be all on one channel.

maybe a guberment run anime channel is what is needed.

komrades...

Competition is great when you're dealing with an interchangeable commodity, or a single product that's carried in multiple retail channels. But when you bring exclusivity agreements into it, the consumer gets hurt.

If Amazon, Netflix, Hulu and Crunchyroll all had the same shows and you simply had to choose the one with the best platform for the best price, nobody would be complaining. But what we're getting is a situation where if you want to watch Anime X, you have to subscribe to Amazon, and if you want Anime Y you have to go with CR, while Anime Z is exclusive to Netflix, and you end up spending thirty bucks a month.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:14 am Reply with quote
@Tuor_of_Gondolin Generally speaking yeah, but for streaming services, (legal) competition in practice only makes things more expensive. Even if streaming services decreased their prices to be more competitive, say from 7-8 dollars to 5 dollars a month, a viewer that wants to see everything would have to pay more not less, and competition certainly hasn't brought down subscription prices. Actually the former probably explains the latter. Certainly there are viewers who just pick one service and stick with it, but for viewers looking for all the simulcasts, they aren't buying one or the other, they are going to buy both. In that case, lowering their prices doesn't get them any more business, as so long as they get enough desirable exclusives the customers will still come, but it does lose them revenue so why would they decrease prices? We know who the real competition is and no streaming service is competing on price with them.
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:40 am Reply with quote
I never heard of this show and it certainly looks interesting but I'm not buying prime to watch ONE show so screw that. Especially when I already got hulu, netflix and CR (I'm only paying for hulu but still). I don't know how much AP cost but its definitely to much for one show.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:43 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I wonder if this is Sentai's fault. Are they not including CR as a platform because they don't want to or has the CR-Funi alliance made it impossible for them to do so even if they wanted? I'd hate to be hatin' on Sentail if they have no choice but to go a non-CR route. As a Canadian, AP is no worse for me than being put on TAN, Netflix or Hulu. I have a subscription to Netflix but having to wait until the whole show is available drives me nuts, so I never wait for it.

Even if they decided to take less money and stream on CR, if you ran a company, would you want to give direct financial support to your largest competitors, who would later use that money against you? Until the Funi/CR deal ends, this might be the new norm.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:48 am Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
The point of competition is to make things cheaper for the consumer. This is doing the opposite.

It doesn't seem to be so to me, since the money for Anime Strike is simply what we saved canceling the separate FUNimation subscription after the CR Funi alliance. Kind of a wash, actually a bit cheaper, though for people who didn't already have Prime I understand it's different.

In the long term it's unreasonable to expect a monopoly. At the very least the content owners don't want that. It's the same reason that the non anime streaming market fragments.

There is an argument that a monopoly negotiating rates with rights holders can be better for consumers, though if you believe that then you should be sympathetic to the same argument in favor of cable companies instead of subscribing to many streaming services.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:30 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
Blood- wrote:
I wonder if this is Sentai's fault. Are they not including CR as a platform because they don't want to or has the CR-Funi alliance made it impossible for them to do so even if they wanted? I'd hate to be hatin' on Sentail if they have no choice but to go a non-CR route. As a Canadian, AP is no worse for me than being put on TAN, Netflix or Hulu. I have a subscription to Netflix but having to wait until the whole show is available drives me nuts, so I never wait for it.

Even if they decided to take less money and stream on CR, if you ran a company, would you want to give direct financial support to your largest competitors, who would later use that money against you? Until the Funi/CR deal ends, this might be the new norm.

I agree with you, but I'm wondering if it's even more fundamental then that. For example, I could imagine Sentai saying, "yeah, it sucks to enrich a competitor, but in the end the increased exposure a title would get on CR will boost our physical release sales, so it's worth it." But if CR-Funi is flat out refusing to run Sentai titles, then even this isn't an option. As I said earlier, I'm just curious if not going with CR is a voluntary or involuntary decision on Sentai's part. If it's involuntary, then it doesn't make sense to hate on them for it.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
dragonrider_cody wrote:
Blood- wrote:

I agree with you, but I'm wondering if it's even more fundamental then that. For example, I could imagine Sentai saying, "yeah, it sucks to enrich a competitor, but in the end the increased exposure a title would get on CR will boost our physical release sales, so it's worth it." But if CR-Funi is flat out refusing to run Sentai titles, then even this isn't an option. As I said earlier, I'm just curious if not going with CR is a voluntary or involuntary decision on Sentai's part. If it's involuntary, then it doesn't make sense to hate on them for it.

I really doubt that is the case, though I suppose it's possible. They do run shows from Discotek, Media Blasters, Right Stuf, and Viz after all. However, those companies don't compete with Funimation in the same direct fashion that Sentai does. Discotek and MB are most limited to older, less popular shows that Sentai and Funi only have a passing interest in. Other than the Gundam titles, Right Stuf is very limited on the licensing front, and mainly goes after very niche titles. Viz does get some big titles, but they often focus on shows from their parent companies that Funi or Sentai wouldn't get anyway. So it's not outside the realm of possibilities.

These days, physical sales for most titles are an increasingly small piece of the picture. Basically, they've become the icing on the cake. If a title doesn't make sufficient money through streaming, it's unlikely that the home video release will push it into the green. While it's great when the total number of views is high, that isn't always enough to pay the bills. If it was just about number of eyeballs, then everyone would be simulcasting their shows on YouTube or Netflix.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:41 pm Reply with quote
This is really a question for Answerman, but I don't believe that streaming revenues have become more important than physical sales yet. The licensing fees for streaming rights have definitely increased over the years, but I don't think they have supplanted home release revenues yet. I don't have the latest figures at my finger tips though. Obviously, home release continues to be an important element of every NA publisher's business.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
This is really a question for Answerman, but I don't believe that streaming revenues have become more important than physical sales yet. The licensing fees for streaming rights have definitely increased over the years, but I don't think they have supplanted home release revenues yet. I don't have the latest figures at my finger tips though. Obviously, home release continues to be an important element of every NA publisher's business.

He's actually mentioned how important streaming revenues are, and how the Hulu changes really hit the R1 companies hard in a few articles. He's also repeatedly mentioned how some titles may only sell a couple of thousand copies, including in his recent article asking "how do companies know how many discs to print?" So while he may not have answered the question directly, that I can recall, he's discussed it more than a few times.

Not to mention, other articles have mentioned how it's not uncommon for series to cost over a $1 million plus. Basic math is really all that's needed to see that home video sales for most shows don't come anywhere close enough to covering the costs of, and that's before you factor in things like production, distribution, dubbing costs, etc.

Online streaming revenues are what allowed Sentai and Funimation to both go on their licensing binges in recent years. It's also what caused licensing costs to spike so much. If home video was still the larger and more important part of the equation, than it would have had less effect on the number of shows licensed and the cost involved. It also unlikely that CR would have become the force that it has, or that Amazon would be attempting to make a splash now.
Morry

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Welp, that's another series I'm just going to have to drop. I liked it when it was tied into my prime account but paying for two just isn't worth it. I'd rather pay for funi+crunchy.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:09 pm Reply with quote
@ dragonrider_cody: what is needed is solid information on how much each publisher makes from streaming rights versus how much each publisher makes from home sales. Absent those hard numbers, any discussion is pointless.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
@ dragonrider_cody: what is needed is solid information on how much each publisher makes from streaming rights versus how much each publisher makes from home sales. Absent those hard numbers, any discussion is pointless.

They don't generally release that information, and since none of the R1 companies are publicly traded, they aren't required to. So the chances of us ever getting hard numbers is slim to none.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:16 pm Reply with quote
I feel compelled to watch this now after learning that there probably won't be any reviews on this until much later.
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:21 pm Reply with quote
I feel like i just got slapped in the face. Well i just dont know what to do right now. I was highly expecting this to get a Simulcast Dub from Funimation but thats now out the window.

Edit: i wish funimation would make their full spring announcement already. This is getting on my nerves

Last edited by Lord Vaultman on Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4