• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best and Worst Anime of Winter 2017

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Are we counting March comes in like a lion this season? Because if so that's my pick. Shimada's story is pretty much the best the manga ever got, and its adaptation didn't disappoint - well, not in the ways it had been since it started.

Second would be Konosuba. The last arc with Aqua's cult thing was honestly not really my thing - I often found it quite unfunny. But episode 4 was the best episode of the series for me - better than even any other episode of the first season. Plenty of other good moments sprinkled to be good, even though I didn't find it as good as the first season overall.

Worst would be... Tanya, I guess? I didn't dislike it, but from what I've finished (or plan to, at least, as I kind of need to get home before watching episode 12) it was the one I least liked. But if I can count things I dropped, then it's definitely Gabriel Dropout.
Paiprince

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:04 pm Reply with quote
If there's one thing that's certain is that all it takes for an anime to get top favorites around here is to be pretentious in both atmosphere and storytelling and Rakugo fits just that. Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon should be the AOTS.

Hand Shakers being grilled on, I'm not surprised. It's not all that bad. At least, it was honest as it was trying to be and not some bait and switch a lot of anime pull to surprise viewers in an attempt to make it look better than it actually is. Fuuka deserves this infamous spot more than Hand Shakers.

And Konosuba trumping over Gab Dropout? Not only does the former have better animation, its comedic delivery is much more consistent and doesn't bog itself too much in tonal shifts.
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:08 pm Reply with quote
My 2¥'s worth:

Best: The Saga of Tanya the Evil (Youjo Senki)
Great animation, awesome action scenes, and a quirky sense of humor made this my favorite. It was also the biggest surprise of the season; not only was it not on my radar until the first episode, but I suspect it snuck by a lot of people's attention for many weeks. Here's hoping it comes back for another season, because I'm already missing Tanya.

Runner-Up: Masamune-Kun's Revenge
Don't understand the hate this series has gotten; I found it quite enjoyable. It reminded me a lot of some of my favorite romcoms, although admittedly not always for the good. Will be very disappointed if there isn't a season two.

Honorable Mentions: Little Witch Academia, Chain Chronicle, Gabriel Dropout.

Worst: EldLive
Watched two episodes, gave up. Didn't think it was all that interesting or even amusing.

Dishonorable Mentions: Fuuka

Did not watch Seiren, Scum's Wish, or Onihei, but based on recommendations from friends, I'm probably going to give those a try. Especially since I'm not finding all that much that piques my interest for the Spring 2017 season (Clockwork Planet and ID-0 are about it, and that's only barely).
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Overall, this season turned out to be pretty decent. Very decent, as a matter of fact, with a helping of very enjoyable shows and some very deep. Definitely not as bad as some of us here have presumed it would be. (There may still be a certain person or two here who still think it was generally bad. Which honestly, I just can't understand why they think that way and call something bad simply because it's not their cup of tea.)

Anyway, enough rambling. My favorites this season were Konosuba Season 2, Dragon Maid, and Interviews With Monster Girls. All 3 were pretty good and enjoyable in their own way and I'm currently hoping for more seasons of each one of them.

Worst, well, I generally try to avoid shows I think may be bad, so I've not got nothing here for me.
Now it's time for Spring and I'm definitely looking forward to the upcoming shows.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:33 pm Reply with quote
So, since I haven't seen Hand Shakers, guess I'm alone in putting Yamishibai Ghost Stories S4 on my season-worst list?...Seriously, WHAT HAPPENED?? Shocked
If you thought it was impossible to do another season after S3 spent the whole season gearing up for the series-finale episode, a look at the episodes would seem to be right.

The first three seasons would just introduce a freaky J-horror story that felt nightmarish in its minimalism, but since the new season's gimmick is a different actor narrating every episode, screentime dictates that he narrate the whole darn thing, distancing us from it. (Never mind the inserted "live-action" shot in every episode that's supposed to look found-footage, but conveniently substitutes a complicated bit of animation.)

And as to the episode stories--By way of explanation, there's a scene in Lewis Carroll's "Alice" books where a character is reciting a long nonsense poem to Alice that begins building to a suspenseful climax:
"'And when I found the door was shut/I went to turn the handle...BUT--'"
"There was a long pause. 'Is that all?' Alice asked timidly."
"That's all. Good morning."

That's sort of the feeling you get watching S4's stories that tend to end with "He followed the trail of blood drops leading to the door....(KABOOM!) The End." Er, huh?--I know we want to be "ambiguous", but did somebody misplace a script page? Confused

Last edited by EricJ2 on Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Didn't watch much this season. I only kept up with Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid, Nanbaka, and the Saga of Tanya the Evil.

Nanbaka I dropped like a rock because it became a rock, stiff and boring. Don't let the colourful exterior fool you, it's bland as bland can be.

I simply ADORED the Saga of Tanya the Evil. I will admit, it was slow and dull at times, the concept is offputting, the retelling of existing wars is unnecessary, and the ending was a cliffhanger (which I hope there's a second season in the future). That said, what is there is enjoyable. Tanya is one of the best protagonists I've seen in an anime in a while, you love to hate her and her actions are satisfying. Most importantly, a lot of the focus is on Tanya, something so many anime fail at with their main character. Excellent first show for Studio NuT too, I hope this quality continues.

Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid, I can see why people enjoy this show but I found it super frustrating. It felt like a bad American cartoon with fan service. Barely any of it came off as funny, the "comedy" was either bland or lacked karma. The fan service was unnecessary and ruined so many of the moments it set up. It is charming but aside from that, I despise this show.
BlueRex666

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:15 pm Reply with quote
DeTroyes wrote:

Runner-Up: Masamune-Kun's Revenge
Don't understand the hate this series has gotten; I found it quite enjoyable. It reminded me a lot of some of my favorite romcoms, although admittedly not always for the good. Will be very disappointed if there isn't a season two.

My problem with the show was I hated the characters involved in the romance and the show could barely get a chuckle out of me.

While I don't think it's the worst, but don't understand why it's so popular.

(PS When I say I don't understand I don't need an explanation, I'm just saying I don't find the show appealing.)
SnowyLightning44

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Pretty good season for me overall, I found myself enjoying more than I do most seasons at least and I liked stuffed from a greater range of genres as well. My top show of the season was KonoSuba which impressively managed to keep me in stitches through it's entire run and even was able to top the first season in my books when it comes down to comedic values and my runner-up was Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid, seemingly every season there is a show that I have no interest in beforehand but when I tried it on a whim I loved it straight away and this falls right into that category; who knew a Slice-of-Life show starring a salary woman and a dragon maid hybrid would be so good.
For my honourable mentions I choose Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu because honestly, it would've been top but the ending kind of bittered the experience which was a shame and March Comes In Like A Lion which is my real favourite show this season as I enjoyed the second half even more than the first... but since it started in Fall 2016, I'm entirely not sure it should even be on the list... so I'll just leave it there.
And yeah I don't continue watch anything I really find decent but this season I decided to watch Piace: Watashi no Italian because it was just a short and I mean, the content wasn't bad, but unfortunately it was just felt plain boring[/b]
hack5

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:44 pm Reply with quote
ParaChomp wrote:
Didn't watch much this season. I only kept up with Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid, Nanbaka, and the Saga of Tanya the Evil.

Nanbaka I dropped like a rock because it became a rock, stiff and boring. Don't let the colourful exterior fool you, it's bland as bland can be.

I simply ADORED the Saga of Tanya the Evil. I will admit, it was slow and dull at times, the concept is offputting, the retelling of existing wars is unnecessary, and the ending was a cliffhanger (which I hope there's a second season in the future). That said, what is there is enjoyable. Tanya is one of the best protagonists I've seen in an anime in a while, you love to hate her and her actions are satisfying. Most importantly, a lot of the focus is on Tanya, something so many anime fail at with their main character. Excellent first show for Studio NuT too, I hope this quality continues.

Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid, I can see why people enjoy this show but I found it super frustrating. It felt like a bad American cartoon with fan service. Barely any of it came off as funny, the "comedy" was either bland or lacked karma. The fan service was unnecessary and ruined so many of the moments it set up. It is charming but aside from that, I despise this show.

I so agree with you on Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid i just cant get into all girls show and to top it off its yuri not my cup of tea.

Anyway i enjoy ACCA13 ,Ao no Exorcist s2,Nakabaka,Scums Wish and Marginal#4.

Shows i haven't watch yet because of certain circumstance but know i will enjoy-Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu,Yowamushi Pedal,Konosuba s2 and Gundam IBO S2

Shows i want to drop-Masumune Revenge,the show lacks something i cant really say but im not enjoying it at all it started off good but i felt frustrated ,its like watching a Rumiko Takahashi anime yeah something like that a show where the characters makes you angry

Eldrive-this also lacks something or it just does not know that it wants to be like it wants to mix romcom with shonen and that makes it unbearable

Sleeper hit-Onihe i love Samurai's nuff said

Shows i would not touch with a ten foot pole-all cute girls doing cute/yuri things anime like i said Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid and Co.I guess thats my list.Laughing Laughing

Last edited by hack5 on Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
meiam

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:01 pm Reply with quote
I guess Theron is my spirit animal this season cause I have the same pick for #1 and 2, just reversed.

Kono suba was just fun and it avoid the pitfall that most comedy fall into, it stayed a comedy the entire time and I immensely respect it for that. And what a comedy it was! Eagerly awaiting S3.

Tanya was just fun, great everything, interesting premise that didn't go into ugly place (loli and nazi germany, that could have gone very very ugly but didn't).

I don't really have a worse since I rapidly drop anything that I found boring/bad. The closest I would have would be gundam iron blooded orphan S2, which I dropped in the middle. I get that some people like this all drama no substance focus, but it's really not what I'm looking for in my show.

I guess worse that I actually finished would be interview, was decent but nothing special, it ended up massively simplifying it's subject matters and veered a bit too much into the cute girl doing cute things (except they weren't that cute and the stuff they were doing wasn't very interesting).
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:31 pm Reply with quote
For me, it's been the second seasons of Iron-blooded Orphans and Tales of Zestiria the X, and Tiger Mask W. I've also caught up on Puzzle and Dragons X because I hadn't realized it was getting new episodes all this time.

Vaisaga wrote:
Telling us to stop would be like telling a fish not to swim or a bird not to fly.

Tales of Zestiria

Vaisaga, why do you think birds fly? XD
Kon'Doriano

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:02 pm Reply with quote
The Best:
- Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu | Easily one of the MOST creative, memorable, and well-written anime of this decade. The artistry, the plot, characterization, character development, the direction, the cinematography, and delivery is all 8/10 tier if not higher. This is definitely a show I will be more than happy to rewatch someday in the future. The staff at Studio DEEN has really outdone themselves and may have produced their best TV anime to date. 8.5/10
- Gintama. | This show once again returned and gave us a serious arc following up the previous two hardcore story arcs. It is a treat to see many memorable such as spoiler[Kagura's family, and the reunion between the four heroes from the Old Jouishishi.] I had a good time with this and I cannot wait for it to adapt the Silver Soul arc. 8/10
- Little Witch Academia Since Netflix is holding the streaming rights, I went off and used an illegal site. Do I regret? Pfffft nope! Laughing Anyway, I liked the show because of its wacky presentation, the quirky cast, the environment, and the direction it is heading for its 2nd cour. Right now it's nothing too special because of its first 10 episodes being purely episodic and didn't contribute to the plot very much. Despite that, it's a fine show with the potential to become something better. Would I rewatch it once it comes to Netflix? Yes. 7/10

The Meh:
- Onihei I only enjoyed it for its atmosphere and presentation. Many of the episodes were very nice but because they're all episodic, there's no central plot which makes it no better than a "slice-of-nothing happens." The characters were fine and some of them were even amusing, but that's it. It's by no means bad but it's nothing exactly a show I could find myself praising. 6/10
- KonoSuba It's a a very hit-or-miss show for me. Some of the jokes such as Darkness being possessed by (forgot his name) that mask demon really hit home! Her masochism is one of the few running gags that never get old. The jokes that did not hit home at all weren't entertaining at all. That religious cult at that spring village.....no, that to me was just boring. I also liked the chemistry between the cast and how they put up with each other's nonsense. Other than that, I don't have anymore great things to say about this show. 5/10
- ACCA 13 It did fine with its subtle mystery and its production values but other than that, it's nothing special. The story wasn't terrible but it hasn't done anything out of the ordinary, and the characters are pitifully bland. 5/10 would never watch again.

The Worst:
- Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid I get why people like this show but to me it is nothing more than a moe pile of puke. Since it's a "slice-of-nothing happens" I at least expected it to do something out of this world with the differences between fantasy and reality but no, instead we got a bunch of "cute" girls goofing around with their ecchi fanservice. 4/10
- Scum's Wish I have seen lazily written telenovelas that do drama better than this pretentious load of dookie. It tried to tell a good character drama through the eyes of messed up, horny teenagers who've only shown their dark side. Almost nobody develops, the drama is shallow, the script is laughably bad, and in the end it's nothing more than a poor man's "Kare Kano." This show actually had some potential but it lost all of it in the first episode. 3/10
- Hand Shakers Do I really need to explain? 1/10
- Masamune-kun's Revenge This show is just dreadful. It began with absolutely no potential and ended as a mutilated corpse. The story is petty and trite, NONE of the characters were compelling, and there are no literary redeeming qualities. 2/10
- Blue Exorcist Nothing more than a generic fighting shounen that failed at utilizing the high stakes and tension it had...again. 4/10

Not a good season and I doubt Spring would be any better. Hopefully Summer and Fall can win me over.
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:37 pm Reply with quote
ultimatehaki wrote:
My favorite two shows would be 1.Saga of Tanya the evil and 2. Konosuba and worst would be Scum's wish simply because it was so boring I had to bail in the first 10 minutes. Hand shakers was bad too but I at least made through the whole 1st
episode.

i wouldnt say that. sure its riddled with flaws but scum's wish and tanya was definitely awful to the core. while tanya's english dub was sort of redeemable, they should be avoided at all costs. as for gabriel dropout, its definitely the worst of the year nomination for sure.

the best is by far the new season of gintama , blue exorcist impure king arc and zestiria season 2. hands down. though i am still waiting on hopes that there will indeed be a second season of both alermain of the sky and trinity seven who i pick as the best and runner up for 2015.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TasteyCookie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Best: Kobayashi's Dragon Maid Super strong season for me but Dragon Maid comes in top.

Runner ups: Youju Senki. Gabriel Dropout. Showa Genroku. and those are just the tied ones for me. Konosuba S2, March Comes like a Lion, and Interviews were also fantastic.

Worst: Scums Wish by far. Sure Hand Shakers was awful in pretty much every way, but I didn't actively hate it. I haven't hate watched an anime since School Days and Scums Wish falls into that exact same category. Writing that pretends to be deep by talking about about "deep dark teens OMG" but actually uses the same lines from literary staples such as Degrassi and Twilight. I kid, but god that show made me so angry. Glad the manga's final volume flopped.Good riddance.

Last edited by TasteyCookie on Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:10 am; edited 1 time in total
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:27 pm Reply with quote
The sole anime I hitched my wagon to this season was Tanya the Evil, and I have not been disappointed. I mean, the "Being X" stuff seems kind of secondary, but I enjoy watching Tanya's exploits.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5