• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Licenses Tamako Market, Chunibyō, Beyond the Boundary Anime Films

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ali07

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:30 am Reply with quote
Ah, will definitely be getting Tamako and the 2nd BtB movie.

Have my doubts that Hanabee, company in Australia that has released the TV series those movies are sequels to, getting the movies. They released AnoHana, but never licensed the movies for it.

May have to import these...but this has come at a good time, as I think Hanabee is having a sale, so I can add the TV series to my collection.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:38 am Reply with quote
I guess ADV/Sentai must have a good relationship with KyoAni given they have/did have the license to so many KyoAni titles. It's similar to Funi use to license/license rescue a lot of Gonzo titles.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:37 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
I guess ADV/Sentai must have a good relationship with KyoAni given they have/did have the license to so many KyoAni titles. It's similar to Funi use to license/license rescue a lot of Gonzo titles.

Unlike Gonzo, KyoAni doesn't hold distribution rights to their titles. Normally, they are just the lead animator, and another company has the rights. In this case, TBS is a master licensor for these titles, and they've had a pretty strong and long lasting relationship with Sentai. For quite a while, their titles came to North America exclusively through them, and it's only recently that a few titles have gone to Funimation.

The animation studio rarely has anything to do with who ends up with R1 rights. Gonzo is one exception, and far from the norm.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:26 pm Reply with quote
I can see where people are coming from since KyoAni are a bit of an exception themselves in that they are doing their "own" titles, either based on titles from their own LN line or entirely original like Tamako Market, it's just that unlike the likes of Gonzo, Sunrise and Toei they don't handle licensing themselves.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2