• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Attack on Titan

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
derekArr

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:06 am Reply with quote
First time poster, but yeah I really enjoyed this season.

One thing that I noticed in the review was a worry that the series doesn't seem to be going anywhere in the long run of things, and only answers certain short-term questions about the series.

As a manga reader, without spoiling anything, I can say that the series *does* actually answer a lot of the questions and mysteries that are proposed. If the third season is longer than this second season was, the anime viewers will end up learning a lot, and the best part is, at least in my opinion, the actual answers to said mysteries are actually satisfying and mesh cohesively with the world-building that has been done so far. Nothing feels like a stupid ass pull out from nowhere.
durask

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:13 am Reply with quote
Enner wrote:
Dayblack wrote:

I know that is his personal opinion, but he could try not to sound so fanatical.

We're all watching to fell something. Lets not dampen each other! Go all out! CHARGE! SCREAM!

I don't have much faith in Attack on Titan wrapping up its grand plot well (too many let downs in my watching life so far). But that's okay. Because what I will remember most fondly are the moments get to me and never fade away. For that, Attack on Titan has delivered so much for me.

Great season; happy that we don't have to wait long for more.

I don't know whether you read the manga or not but IMHO so far Isayama is doing a pretty good job rolling out the plot.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:49 am Reply with quote
I remember when they went to capture Annie that they intended to do it Underground. I feel they mentioned underground stuff enough to justify it.

Also, woo, what fun. Visually they went all out here. I'm in for the long haul. before this season I was all "yeah good show" but now. Delicious.
Chocoreto

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:21 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Attack on Titan has never really been about Big Picture storytelling.

I cannot agree with this at all (or maybe I just misunderstand the way the reviewer puts it), but I know why it might seem that way for someone who has not read the manga. AoT moves its plot forward through singular stories, but through every single one of them, it grants you the smallest hints necessary for completing the Big Picture. What amazed me the most in this season was that there was literally not a single frame (except maybe that one kind-of-recap episode) that didn't help you slowly moving towards solving the mystery of this world. There are still lots to be done and said, but we already came to know a big portion of what's going on, we just cannot realize it yet because our minds are cleverly preoccupied with other questions.

We've been fed, but we don't feel satisfied at all. That's just so AoT-ish.

Also, Hange's and Connie's information in the end does not consist a cliffhanger, since we, as viewers, had already realized it long ago. It serves more like passing what we know to characters who didn't (Levi and Erwin), and seeing their respective reactions, which will be very relevant at how they will handle things in season 3.

With the rest of the review, I absolutely agree. I would also like to add: WHOOHOO, SEASON 3!!! You know what that means??? Levi's and Historia's time to SHINE!!! And, just to inform you, what we just saw was the weakest part of the story. Yeap. The weakest one. Of course that depends on everyone's tastes, but GOD if they made the weakest part so amazing, can you imagine the rest???

And to the reviewer: You have good taste and you know how to praise the truly good stuff. Very Happy
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:00 am Reply with quote
Chocoreto wrote:
And, just to inform you, what we just saw was the weakest part of the story. Yeap. The weakest one. Of course that depends on everyone's tastes...
It sure does, as I personally think that there's been no better arc before or since Very Happy In fact I'm seriously considering sitting the next season out if there's too much interesting stuff airing at the same time. Not that the spoiler[coup d'etat] arc doesn't have its moments, but personally I'd be glad if they streamlined it a bit.
Valhern

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:10 am Reply with quote
I'm aware most of the criticism against AoT is the lack of resolution and the unending plot twists that beg for more questions than answers, but in this case I can say I'm on the opposite point of view. Because I DO know what happens next and what the answers are, is because I'm sorely disappointed revisiting things I didn't understand but now I do and see how the answer ended up weaker than the question.

Most of my enjoyment this season comes from the visual spectacle of even the less interesting parts, as well as the directional execution and the care of the team behind it. So what I am doing is just watching this for the action and some neat scenarios, like most do.

On the other side, the next arc is one I enjoy more wholeheartedly as it is unrelated to most of what this season was about, and it also has some of my favorite action sequences so, that will be cool.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:17 am Reply with quote
James_Beckett wrote:
Ethe wrote:

As for the last part of the episode, it looks like they decided to shorten Conny and Hange's report to Erwin, but to do so they had to leave aside some important moments: (using spoiler tags in case they somehow manage to include this in the next season): spoiler[In the manga we actually get a flashback of Hange and Connie going back to the village where the titans first appeared. There's a touching moment where Connie, in tears and in front of her titanized mother, swears revenge for what they did to his family. When Hange sees him like this, she remembers all the times she had fun experimenting with titans and realises the atrocity of her actions. Very powerful.]. All this makes me wish they hadn't included this part yet, but I can sort of understand why they did it.

Damn, that actually sounds like an awesome moment, especially for Hange. Hopefully they find a way to work that into a flashback or something next year.

Well that whole scene of Hange&Conny telling Erwin is from the first chapter(ch 51) of the next arc(season 3).so would say there is a good chance of seeing it in full.
Deborahsilvia7

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:41 am Reply with quote
Tensai GinAce wrote:
That Opening tho...

GOOD
aodmisery

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:57 am Reply with quote
ofpveteran73 wrote:
The underground city is shown in the No Regrets OVA, but I don't think it has been mentioned outside of that in the anime.

yes that is true. its from where levi came from. at first i thought it was kinda weird because its never been mentioned at all in the anime. but i guess if your not a big aot fan and seen the special episodes you wouldnt have known about it.
Enner

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:45 pm Reply with quote
durask wrote:
Enner wrote:

I don't have much faith in Attack on Titan wrapping up its grand plot well (too many let downs in my watching life so far). But that's okay. Because what I will remember most fondly are the moments get to me and never fade away. For that, Attack on Titan has delivered so much for me.

Great season; happy that we don't have to wait long for more.

I don't know whether you read the manga or not but IMHO so far Isayama is doing a pretty good job rolling out the plot.

Sadly, I'm not much of a manga reader. Don't really not why; just never built the habit, I guess.

It's good to hear from those that read ahead that I should be faithful in the Isayama's grand tale unfolding well!
Animorphimagi

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:02 pm Reply with quote
I don't know why NO ONE mentioned it but I loved the episode for mostly ONE SINGULAR REASON. Hannes moment was the single most hilariously, satisfying thing I ever have seen. SO AWESOME
jesusalcala11

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Can any manga readers tell me if Ymir has a grand endgame by saving and leaving with Reiner and Bertholdt? Otherwise, I think Ymir leaving Historia is ridiculous given the entire arc the series had just went through.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:46 pm Reply with quote
jesusalcala11 wrote:
Can any manga readers tell me if Ymir has a grand endgame by saving and leaving with Reiner and Bertholdt? Otherwise, I think Ymir leaving Historia is ridiculous given the entire arc the series had just went through.

They eventually explain her motivations in great detail.
Tenbinzan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
"As far as I know, this giant underground refuge has never been mentioned before, and its reveal here seems a bit convenient."

It was mentioned a few of times in the first season. Petra told Eren that Levi used to be a thug in the underground before Erwin recruited him. And the Military Police talked about 3DM/ODM gear being sold on the black market in the underground city. And the tunnel Armin, Eren, and Mikasa tried to lure Annie into in the season finale lead to an abandoned site for another underground city.

However, prior to Episode 37, the only time we've actually seen the underground is in Attack on Titan: No Regrets, a two-part OVA on Levi's past. Kodansha has the rights to the OVAs, so you have to buy the special editions of Volumes 18 and 19 of the manga to own No Regrets on DVD (subtitles only).
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:00 am Reply with quote
Nordhmmer wrote:
James_Beckett wrote:
Ethe wrote:

As for the last part of the episode, it looks like they decided to shorten Conny and Hange's report to Erwin, but to do so they had to leave aside some important moments: (using spoiler tags in case they somehow manage to include this in the next season): spoiler[In the manga we actually get a flashback of Hange and Connie going back to the village where the titans first appeared. There's a touching moment where Connie, in tears and in front of her titanized mother, swears revenge for what they did to his family. When Hange sees him like this, she remembers all the times she had fun experimenting with titans and realises the atrocity of her actions. Very powerful.]. All this makes me wish they hadn't included this part yet, but I can sort of understand why they did it.

Damn, that actually sounds like an awesome moment, especially for Hange. Hopefully they find a way to work that into a flashback or something next year.

Well that whole scene of Hange&Conny telling Erwin is from the first chapter(ch 51) of the next arc(season 3).so would say there is a good chance of seeing it in full.

that is IF THERE IS A SEASON THREE!!!! considering that other shonen type series like this and are not from the naruto , DB and one piece franchises dont get that treatment (although hunter x hunter 2011 tv series and my hero academia have beaten the odds) , i really have my doubts. sure this series is highly popular , then again so were a lot others that didn't get a season 3 so unless i see something official , i'm not holding my breath on a new season which means to continue with the storyline, you'll need to read the manga.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 14 of 39