• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Attack on Titan

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:33 am Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
that is IF THERE IS A SEASON THREE!!!! considering that other shonen type series like this and are not from the naruto , DB and one piece franchises dont get that treatment (although hunter x hunter 2011 tv series and my hero academia have beaten the odds) , i really have my doubts.

http://animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-06-18/funimation-streams-season-3-preview-video-for-attack-on-titan-anime/.117645

There you go!
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:52 am Reply with quote
Is anyone else unable to rate episodes after the final AoT review went up? The widget just doesn't load, in any review any more. I'm guessing it's related to this final review probably getting too much traffic and making something break, but it could be completely unrelated.
Ethe

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:02 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
jesusalcala11 wrote:
Can any manga readers tell me if Ymir has a grand endgame by saving and leaving with Reiner and Bertholdt? Otherwise, I think Ymir leaving Historia is ridiculous given the entire arc the series had just went through.

They eventually explain her motivations in great detail.

Got a question for you (manga spoilers ahead): spoiler[Are you referring to chapter 89 of the manga, where Historia reads Ymir letter? If so, does her letter really explain her motivations for saving and leaving with Reiner and Bertolt? The way I understood it, the reasoning behind her decision was established way before that, all throughout the Clash of the Titans arc, which the anime has already covered.

What I'm trying to say is, aren't her motivations (i.e. the fact that, ironically, she is and has always been a ridiculously kind person) already clear in the anime? Doesn't the letter simply give us a better look at her past in Marley? Or am I missing something?]
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Ethe wrote:
Got a question for you (manga spoilers ahead): [spoiler]Are you referring to chapter 89 of the manga, where Historia reads Ymir letter?

SPOILERS IF YOU AREN'T COMPLETELY UP TO DATE WITH THE MANGA

No, I'm referring to Chapter spoiler[93], which reveals that spoiler[Ymir is to some extent influenced by Marcel's memories and emotions]. I believe that this provides a clear reason for why Ymir would want to spoiler[ensure that control of the Jaw Titan is returned to the mainland Eldians].

It is strongly implied that Ymir knows exactly what will happen if she goes with Reiner and Bernholdt, and that spoiler[her need to atone for killing Marcel] outweighs her own personal feelings towards Historia.
Ethe

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:45 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:

SPOILERS IF YOU AREN'T COMPLETELY UP TO DATE WITH THE MANGA

No, I'm referring to Chapter spoiler[93], which reveals that spoiler[Ymir is to some extent influenced by Marcel's memories and emotions]. I believe that this provides a clear reason for why Ymir would want to spoiler[ensure that control of the Jaw Titan is returned to the mainland Eldians].

It is strongly implied that Ymir knows exactly what will happen if she goes with Reiner and Bernholdt, and that spoiler[her need to atone for killing Marcel] outweighs her own personal feelings towards Historia.

Huh, I'm rereading that chapter again, and to be honest I see nothing in spoiler[Reiner and Galliard's conversation] that could imply Ymir spoiler[was to some extent influenced by Marcels' memories]. Maybe I'm just too slow? I know I may sound dense, but could you maybe point it out for me?

Still, this is the way I see it:

Quote:
It is strongly implied that Ymir knows exactly what will happen if she goes with Reiner and Bernholdt

The reason why Ymir knows what will happen if she goes with Reiner and Bertolt is not because of spoiler[Marcel's memories], but because of the simple fact that spoiler[she comes from the outside world, and just like pretty much everybody who lives outside Paradis, she knows, or at least has a general idea of, how Marley's military works. During the conversation Ymir and co. had when she and Eren were captured, it should've been easy for her to infer that if she went with them, they would make an Eldian soldier eat her and all that stuff. Likewise, it should have also been easy for her to infer that if R&B went back home empty-handed after having lost a titan shifter, they would've been severely punished.]

And the reason she chose to go with Reiner and Bertolt in the end has to do with one of her main character traits: kindness. Ever since she was a child she's been a kind person who cares about others. Even if sometimes it may look like she only cares about herself, we know this is not true by the way she treats the people around her, like Historia, Sasha and Connie. That's why she felt guilty when she found out she had killed Reiner and Bertolt's friend. After Eren triggered the coordinate, it gave Ymir enough peace of mind about Historia’s safety ('cause her safety was her first priority) that she was willing to leave her behind and decided to save Reiner and Bertolt out of guilt; a guilt she felt because she is a fundamentally kind person, not because of spoiler[Marcel's memories] (not to mention she said she had no idea who spoiler[Marcel] was).

Last edited by Ethe on Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The arrival of this particular Titan may seem a tad unlikely (something poor, doomed Hannes even calls out), but I'm willing to suspend my disbelief for the sake of the juicy (pun intended) drama that follows. Besides, this is a show about teenage acrobat soldiers that bite themselves and turn into grotesque giant meat puppets. Suspension of disbelief should be a given at this point.

I don't agree with this kind of thinking. There is a difference between suspending disbelief and ignoring convenient writing. Without THAT particular titan showing up most of the dramatic moments of this episode just don't happen. Personally I feel it's a bit of a misstep since everything else in season in particular flowed together quite well so far. It doesn't ruin the anime or anything but it does make for a kind of rushed conclusion to this arc (yes i know this happened in the manga as well). [/quote]
ZhonLord

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:23 am Reply with quote
Well, as of the finale there's certainly enough pieces put together now in the anime to figure out the story. (Manga readers please don't say much in response regardless of right or wrong, this is mostly for the anime folks to see if others agree with my train of thought)

1. The power of sentient Titans comes in an extremely limited quantity, and titan shifters like Eren, R&B, Ymir, and the Beast are uniques. It has to be limited or else they'd be everywhere.
2. All titans used to be humans. And we've seen that people are turned into titans by being injected with a mysterious liquid.
3. Ymir was a titan for 60 years before she regained her humanity, which only happened when she ate one of R&B's friends. He was most likely a Titan shifter too, if I'm not mistaken about that being them headed to destroy the walls.
4. Ymir's flashback shows there are regular people living beyond the walls, people who have weaponized the Titan transformation as a punishment and form of execution. Those living inside the walls are NOT the final bastion of humanity as it had seemed.
5. Eren has the power to control and wield the Titans directly, and under his control they ALL become abnormals - at least for a while. R&B were DESPERATE to get that power "back", as Reiner plainly said.
6. The titans inside the walls are specifically COLOSSALS, nothing else is big enough to make the walls like they did. And if the number of Titan shifters is limited, that means these colossals are all mindless people-eaters.

The conclusions drawn from all of the above, and little bits and pieces in the credits are:
* The reason Titans try to eat people is because they're trying to find and devour Titan shifters like Ymir did so THEY can regain their humanity, but can't differentiate so they eat every human they find.
* Second, there was a war of sorts based on the end credits, one that ended with the faction of humanity we've been rooting for being defeated - soundly - and walling themselves off from the world in response.
* Third, the presence of people outside the walls turns the Wall Titans into a threat not just a final barrier. Eren as the "coordinate" could control every Wall Titan and send them out at the enemy who ordered R&B's assault, if he were to find where they were.
* And finally, we will never meet Eren's father again, because his father had to have been a Titan shifter who passed his power on to his son by being devoured the night he injected Eren and told him to get to the family basement at all costs. Eren's eaten a human even if he doesn't remember it.

All of that sound about reasonable?
Clematis

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:51 am Reply with quote
^Some very interesting conclusions.
So you believe there is no option certain people have a latent ability of turning into an Abnormal/sentient titan from the get-go, i.e. without having to devour a shifter first?
ZhonLord

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Clematis wrote:
^Some very interesting conclusions.
So you believe there is no option certain people have a latent ability of turning into an Abnormal/sentient titan from the get-go, i.e. without having to devour a shifter first?

Yes, I do. There's an enormous amount of Titans out there, and by any odds you'd care to label them there would be considerably more sentient ones around after a hundred years if there was another method. Especially since this outer human civilization is punishing their lawbreakers by turning them into MORE Titans. Besides, if there was a method to awaken them without eating an existing shifter, similar to Armin talking to Eren through the echoes of his sword blade in Season 1 for example, then wouldn't it be likely this other group (who are VERY clearly knowledgable about how Titans work in general, if R&B and the Beast are any indication) would have been doing it for the last hundred years to bolster their forces?

Plus, when Reiner is talking to Ymir in the trees, he specifically says that he doesn't remember who he first ate either. Neither does Berdtholt. They also mention that Eren doesn't appear to remember it. And as an additional point, if Eren's father was still alive I find it extremely unlikely that he'd have been so terrified in the flashback where he injects Eren. With the knowledge from season 2, his final words to his son have the tone of voice, the facial emotions, and the aura of fear of a man saying his dying words.
jedigriever

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:09 am Reply with quote
I like your theories but I have to refute the having to eat a shifter to regain humanity. Remember Eren was eaten first before he transformed and nothing happened to that titan. Actually, I don't think Reiner's friend was a shifter since he just died and come to think of it Reiner, Bertholdt and Annie might not be shifters during that time which might be ages ago. Otherwise, wouldn't just one of them have killed Ymir then?
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:20 am Reply with quote
jedigriever wrote:
I like your theories but I have to refute the having to eat a shifter to regain humanity. Remember Eren was eaten first before he transformed and nothing happened to that titan. Actually, I don't think Reiner's friend was a shifter since he just died and come to think of it Reiner, Bertholdt and Annie might not be shifters during that time which might be ages ago. Otherwise, wouldn't just one of them have killed Ymir then?

Reiner's friend was definitely a shifter that got his powers stolen by getting eaten. That's not a spoiler mind you, season two made that explicit with Ymir's flashback. Keep in mind that Eren was swallowed basically whole while Reiner's friend was ripped up into tiny chunks. So that might be a significant difference. (It also helps explain why Titans seem to go out of their way to rip people up bite by bite instead of tossing them down the hatch as fast as possible.)
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:18 pm Reply with quote
jedigriever wrote:

They might not have known they were titan shifters at the time though. They were still kids. Remember Eren didn't know until he almost died inside that titan that he was one either. They probably didn't discover they could transform till later. Come to think of it though I really wonder why Eren didn't transform until it was almost to late. I know that the person has to consciously think about it while inflicted with injury but I don't think he was thinking about becoming a titan during that time.
ZhonLord

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:31 pm Reply with quote
leatherhead333 wrote:
They might not have known they were titan shifters at the time though. They were still kids. Remember Eren didn't know until he almost died inside that titan that he was one either. They probably didn't discover they could transform till later. Come to think of it though I really wonder why Eren didn't transform until it was almost to late. I know that the person has to consciously think about it while inflicted with injury but I don't think he was thinking about becoming a titan during that time.

Based on Ymir's flashbacks, everyone's first Titan transformation happens as soon as they're injected. That means Eren had to have transformed when his father first gave him the power. How did Eren return to humanity after being injected by his father, when Ymir had to wait 60 years and eat a shifter on top of that? Answer based on my conclusions above: by eating his father who was a titan shifter, there in the forest, and then changing back and wandering back to his friends unaware of the key on his neck or the power in his veins.

(EDIT: Interestingly, that also implies that Eren was injected only shortly before the assault on Wall Rose in season 1, or he would have found the key any time he undressed to wash or sleep.)

So, by the time Eren was eaten in S1, he had already transformed once and didn't remember it. And because there was no one to show him how, the power slept dormant until the combination of having his leg chopped off and the intent to kill every Titan he could reach triggered his first CONSCIOUS transformation (because remember, it's injury and desire to act that cause the transformation, not specifically the desire to transform). It took two more transformations after that before he was truly in control of the Titan body, so it's entirely reasonable that he had an additional "wild" transformation offscreen.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:04 pm Reply with quote
ZhonLord wrote:
leatherhead333 wrote:

Based on Ymir's flashbacks, everyone's first Titan transformation happens as soon as they're injected. That means Eren had to have transformed when his father first gave him the power. How did Eren return to humanity after being injected by his father, when Ymir had to wait 60 years and eat a shifter on top of that? Answer based on my conclusions above: by eating his father who was a titan shifter, there in the forest, and then changing back and wandering back to his friends unaware of the key on his neck or the power in his veins.

(EDIT: Interestingly, that also implies that Eren was injected only shortly before the assault on Wall Rose in season 1, or he would have found the key any time he undressed to wash or sleep.)

So, by the time Eren was eaten in S1, he had already transformed once and didn't remember it. And because there was no one to show him how, the power slept dormant until the combination of having his leg chopped off and the intent to kill every Titan he could reach triggered his first CONSCIOUS transformation (because remember, it's injury and desire to act that cause the transformation, not specifically the desire to transform). It took two more transformations after that before he was truly in control of the Titan body, so it's entirely reasonable that he had an additional "wild" transformation offscreen.

You are probably right but if that's the case the same sort of thing could have happened with Reiner, Bert and their friend (hence why they didn't transform to kill Ymir).

Eren always had the intent to kill all the titans. I can buy that he probably wouldn't transform due to an injury until he fought one. However, I kind of feel like the way it was done in the anime was for dramatic purposes honestly lol. He'd probably have transformed while he was holding the titan's mouth open but if he did it wouldn't exactly be a shocking reveal later Razz (though tbh I think we all saw that coming a mile away).
WeNTuS

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:22 pm Reply with quote
I made the same theory about Eren's dad. I think it's obvious at this point. He would've shown already after so many years. Since he is still missing he probably was a titan shifter eated by Eren.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 15 of 39