• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Attack on Titan

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Bowl-cut really is dense.

Eren: He's not wrong!

Eren, dude. You're... really not getting it. And Historia may be Queen, but if she keeps spending time with Eren like that, she's going to have a short reign.
Generations

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:12 am Reply with quote
This was one of my favourite moments from the manga, and I'm seriously glad they did it excellently in the adaptation.

At first, I had no idea what we were supposed to learn from Shadis' story that we didn't already know or had an educated guess on, aside from his perspective on the story and I guess how Eren's parents met if you cared. Not that his story itself wasn't interesting because it absolutely is.

But that moment where we learn spoiler[Shadis was the one who broke the belt during his final exam, and his reaction when against all odds Eren stood his ground if only for a few moments]... gods, his reaction was priceless. I guess it was at that moment where he just conceded against Eren's determination and revealed the broken belt instead of failing him and keeping him safe.

EDIT: How did I fail to mention Mama Yaeger's awesome words? I love how her speech was also relevant to both Eren and Shadis. Shadis thought himself special and was above others because of how special he was, and was out to only prove how and why he was so special. Carla was fine with Eren not being special, but it was Eren's actions and the actions of all the main Scout members that MADE them special. They didn't go out and seek or prove themselves to be special, they became special after their actions had already spoken for them. Jean said it so himself when he was compared to the new recruits. They certainly didn't start out as anything special, but because of their deeds they certainly outlasted anyone who thought themselves to be.

That was definitely an A+ ep for me.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:04 am Reply with quote
We also learned that Eren's dad came from outside the wall.
jdnation

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:48 pm Reply with quote
S0crates wrote:
Eren & Mikasa needs to get this relationship going, this is so painful to watch on the side, it's been so long. The Pain, the pain!

As the scene in this week's episode suggests... Historia may be a rival in that department.

It wouldn't be out of character for Attack on Titan to subvert expectations and have this end tragically for Mikasa's heart.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
We also learned that Eren's dad came from outside the wall.

Or, at the very least, he was outside the walls at some point. I took the fact that they didn't make a bigger deal about him being outside the walls to mean that it might be easier for someone to get out than get back in.
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:15 pm Reply with quote
shakir0247 wrote:
I think this is also why some of the stuff they decided to keep (like the poop machine) and the stuff they added (new and extended Levi action sequences), stood out like a sore thumb to me.
In case you're still keeping up with the manga: spoiler[well, I guess now we know why the poop machine wasn't cut out of the story. That was quite the brick joke Laughing ]
Lord Dcast

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Finally caught up with the episode. Seems like the animation quality took a dip from the last two, which were great, but it's the end of an arc so I don't really mind. Maybe it just stood out to me more thanks to the week off.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:48 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Mikasa is unfortunately given short shrift yet again, as even though she gets more lines here than she has all season, they once again revolve around coddling Eren.

I'm glad she's not been featured if this is how they're going to show her. Ok, she's always been overprotective of Eren, fine. But in this episode it wasn't mere "coddling," she just came across as a sullen bitch micromanaging his every move like some dour nun overseeing the Eren orphanage. "Eat your soup! How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your soup!" I'd rather they dispatch her to the hinterlands than watch more of this character assassination.

Other than that this was a good episode. We got some breathing room while still giving us more bits of info.
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:18 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Ok, she's always been overprotective of Eren, fine. But in this episode it wasn't mere "coddling," she just came across as a sullen bitch micromanaging his every move like some dour nun overseeing the Eren orphanage. "Eat your soup! How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your soup!"
I think "coddling" is exactly the right word here. At least to me her dinnertime intervention seemed to be less about concern over Eren's dietary behaviour and more about wanting to take his mind off potentially traumatizing (and, from the point of view of their mission, counter-productive) thoughts, the only way she knows how. She hasn't exactly shown herself as a character predisposed to self-questioning and pondering questions of morality, so from her perspective Eren's musings probably come across as nothing but a source of stress and pain rather than as ways of dealing with them. Her concern comes from an understandable place, even if her ways of addressing it leave much to be desired.

And to be honest, I was slightly more annoyed with Eren than with her during that scene. I mean, it probably made sense from a storytelling perspective to place that monologue here, but from an in-universe perspective they've already had months to process the implications of the fate of Connie's mother and the fact that "ZOMG titans is people!!!1!11!" About time to get on with it maybe?
Ethe

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Do not skip the ending of episode 49.
Hansond Jaysond Lee

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Are they forcing you to review AoT or something?
Because it really feels like you hate the show and what it stands for because you always have to nitpick every single little thing that AoT didn't do perfectly while not crediting the positive stuff as much as they should got.
Maybe the reason you always giving the episodes "B" grade is to avoid triggering the fandom.
It's cool, man. If you hate Attack on Titan and its guts, don't review it anymore. Give it to someone else.
Go sip a tea, read a book. Don't torture yourself by doing the stuff that you despise.
Just be happy.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:40 pm Reply with quote
^ He's given it plenty of A's when he thinks the show deserves it. He just didn't really like this episode that much - especially with it being the end of a season.

I did, though. Eren getting out of his funk - to Jean's surprise, delight, and stomach-ache - was good, as was all the foreshadowing.
Ethe

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Hansond Jaysond Lee wrote:
Are they forcing you to review AoT or something?
Because it really feels like you hate the show and what it stands for because you always have to nitpick every single little thing that AoT didn't do perfectly while not crediting the positive stuff as much as they should got.

I remember back in the S2 finale people were criticising James for sounding "too fanatical" in his reviews; now they are calling him a hater. Make up your minds, people Laughing

I don't really see what's so negative about this review. He points out the good as much as he points out the bad, and a "B-" for what was basically a transitional episode with not much going on is not that terrible, and I say that as someone who loved all the interactions and small character moments in this episode.

Quote:
At the very least, we'll finally see Levi Squad take back the wall and kick down the door of that basement once and for all. No foolin' this time, and no take-backs.

Right?

Rockflame

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:46 pm Reply with quote
I don’t post much but I enjoyed reading your AoT reviews even though I don’t always agree with your points. Hope to see you again in April.
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:22 am Reply with quote
My opinion on the mid-ending teaser is mixed. On the one hand, the cheap thrill of a context-free flash-forward only served to emphasize the lack of thrills in the episode proper (which was unavoidable, as in usual WIT fashion, the production is already spread way too thin and in no condition to deliver a spectacle). On the other hand, the reactions of anime-only viewers were hilarious to observe Twisted Evil
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 24 of 39