• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Attack on Titan

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Iron Maw

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
You know what my country did during WW II? We rounded up a certain segment of our population and put them into camps, which they were not allowed to leave. These people had committed no crimes, but there they were. Only they weren't Jews, they were Americans of Japanese ancestry.

And, of course, in Germany, it wasn't just the Jews that were rounded up, all sorts of groups that the government labelled as "undesirables" were taken, and each group had their own special armbands.

In many countries, those of certain race or ethnicity were prohibited from going into certain areas or establishments. Throughout history, "the Other" has been used as a way to manipulate the populous.

And finally, in the case of AoT, one group of people has the ability to do something that other groups (apparently) do not: become titans. This has no basis in RL history at all, despite whatever rhetoric may have been used from time to time. But the means of isolating and manipulating a population is still the same as in RL, because all of the people depicted in AoT are human psychologically.

I don't think that the plight of the Eldians are supposed to be analogous to the Jews. The Marleyans do not, for example, appear intent on systematically exterminating all Eldians, but they do appear intent on using them politically and militarily.

The Eldian people in Marley are definitely being oppressed and treated as barely or less than human -- dehumanizing people is never a good thing -- but as I said they're not putting them in death camps. Not at the moment, anyway.

This where I'm at too. I feel too many people are trying to fill in blanks of the story with their on preconceived notions based on one or two aspects (identifiers like the armband, people in isolated dilapidated areas, propaganda) which themselves are common enough in any oppressive society/regime. That kind of treatment and relationship between races have been going long before Nazi Germany arguably still after in some places throughout human history. The Nazi's just happens to commit on a larger scale than others. Even then there is no suggestion of an Holocaust like event taking place and extent of Marleyans oppression isn't very detailed at least in this moment. The history between the two races are vastly different than Jews and Germans that blankly labeling them as direct analogies robs the story and lore of own complexity. Neither Marleyans or Eldians are clean and I felt coming for Grisha story and the criticism of his position revenge guised as liberation would merely lead to a cycle of oppression between the two races.

Maybe I'm giving the author too much credit and admittedly perhaps a lot of it is not executed in the best way it could have but I haven't got sense that Eldians are real villains here and oppression is totally cool.
Sakura150612

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:45 pm Reply with quote
How does anyone come to the conclusion that AoT could possibly be anti-semitic? If the Eldians are an obvious parallel to the Jews, they are clearly being portrayed as the victims here and not as bad people. The ones that have been systematically turning them into mindless, man-eating titans (against their will) are the Marleyans, so what part exactly of this story suggests that the Eldians are bad people or that they're the ones at fault? We already know that most (if not all) of the history told by the Marleyans is fabricated, so that doesn't count. I'm very confused.
Johan Eriksson 9003

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:00 pm Reply with quote
jdnation wrote:

This is the problem. Where we are assuming that Isayama somehow wants to directly comment upon the Jews or the Nazis or the Japanese. He is not. He has taken inspiration from these things, yes. But he is also changing things to suit the theme of his story. This is fantasy/fiction. The Eldians are not literally the Jews/Japanese. Allegories and metaphors can only be taken so far. Stretch them and they will break. We need to just take them for what they are - an entirely fiction people known as the Eldians, with an entirely fictional history in an entirely fictional/fantasy world that does not exist in real life, despite how much inspiration it draws from real life. It is unreasonable to expect any creator to match up their made-up characters, people, landscapes, settings or plots 100% to real world incidents. Allegories are not required to be 100% accurate representations of the things they are based off.

What he "wants" is irrelevant. By using such clear imagery from a well-known historical event he is commenting on that history. Even if we were all mindreaders with perfect insight into the author's mind you can't stop people from bringing their own experiences with the history and form their conclusions about what messages the story contains. That's just how art works and why it is important to use loaded references with care.

Like, forget the ethical implications of using holocaust imagery for a second, one of my biggest problems is that this actually works against the very nuanced and complex themes underneth because it is damn hard to see this as a grey story with no clear good or bad guy when it keep drawing my mind to a conflict that was anything but grey.

I see this "it's just fantasy" argument a lot and honestly it's starting to piss me off. We get it, he has a plan, it's not a perfect allegory (nothing is) and sayama is not trying to make a direct statement about any one specific part of history. For those of us reading ahead in the manga we know what the actual theme and message is, it's not really subtle. None of that has any impact on our criticisms.

Sakura150612 wrote:
How does anyone come to the conclusion that AoT could possibly be anti-semitic? If the Eldians are an obvious parallel to the Jews, they are clearly being portrayed as the victims here and not as bad people. The ones that have been systematically turning them into mindless, man-eating titans (against their will) are the Marleyans, so what part exactly of this story suggests that the Eldians are bad people or that they're the ones at fault? We already know that most (if not all) of the history told by the Marleyans is fabricated, so that doesn't count. I'm very confused.

1 We actually don't know that it is all made-up. Grisha is a highly dubious source on this.
2. If it is supposed to be made up then it reeks of a different kind of BS as the crimes that Marley accuse the Eldian Empire of are pretty much exactly what Japan did during WWII, and they already have a big problem with politicians trying to sweep those war-crimes under the rug.

Sherris wrote:

I, on the other hand, find it refreshing. There are plenty of works that present the narrative of 'those who do not learn history are doomed to repeat it', but we hardly see the downsides of 'remembering history too well' in fiction. What if guilt on one hand and a sense of entitlement arising from victimhood on the other get passed down the generations? Will it backfire at some point? Can history prevent us from engaging with those we consider as 'others' or 'aggressors'? History can be used as a propaganda tool, even without it being altered in any way. This could have much more pronounced outcomes in societies that have subscribed to the collectivist, not the individualistic mindset. (Just thinking of that Chinese table tennis player who flooded his hotel room in Japan 'to take revenge on the Japanese for WWII' - I know it's random.)

No one ever talks about it because it isn't a thing. There are no downsides to remembering history. That's just a hypothetical scenario cooked up by people who like to pretend that the events of the past doesn't still have victims in the present and they don't want to do anything to fix it.

Last edited by Johan Eriksson 9003 on Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Squidslinger

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Sakura150612 wrote:

Could say the same thing. The author draws parallels to history and obviously knows enough to use it to foster the backstory. There was nothing anti semitic in it. The fact that the reviewer instantly drew that conclusion is a testament to the failing of the current generation that doesn't have a clue when it comes to history. All they can do is coin buzz words that their media masters and professors tell them.

Maybe 10-20 years ago (closer to 20 likely), reviewers would have instantly seen the way the author is paralleling history and recognized the story elements being built. Nowadays it's, 0-60 in half a second to anti semitism! The heck with understanding history!
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Sakura150612 wrote:
How does anyone come to the conclusion that AoT could possibly be anti-semitic?.

FackuIkari wrote:
"Attack on titan is pro nazi" or whatever, yeah yeah, we went through this shit 3 years ago, what else is new

Squidslinger wrote:
There was nothing anti semitic in it. The fact that the reviewer instantly drew that conclusion is a testament to the failing of the current generation that doesn't have a clue when it comes to history.

This insistence that somebody in this thread has declared AoT/Isayama to be anti-semitic sure does come up a lot considering the first thing James says on the topic is

Quote:
While I don't think AoT is preaching anti-Semitism, its creators ought to be aware of how poorly a comparison between the Jewish people and a race of super-powered cannibals could be received.

And I've yet to see a single person say that they think the series is intentionally or convincingly anti-semitic. What I have seen is people discussing how they find the use of real-world genocide imagery in the context of a fantasy story in poor taste. Or explaining how the imagery, when mixed with the worldbuilding of AoT, can inadvertently lead to unfortunate implications that resemble real-world anti-semitic propaganda. Some folks seem to be doing some serious mental long-jumps to get to the conclusion that anyone criticizing (or heck, just discussing) the implications of the latest episode is actively condemning the story or its creator.
Realhokageomar

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Glad Isayama's used armbands, he doesn't have to consider the feelings ofanyone
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:42 am Reply with quote
johan.eriksson.9003 wrote:
That's just a hypothetical scenario cooked up by people who like to pretend that the events of the past still have victims in the present and they don't want to do anything to fix it.

Did you leave out a word? If past events don't still have present victims (they do), why would anyone "pretend" they do to avoid fixing that? The only way I can parse that sentence as it stands ends up in ridiculous conspiracy theory territory.
Johan Eriksson 9003

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:09 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
johan.eriksson.9003 wrote:
That's just a hypothetical scenario cooked up by people who like to pretend that the events of the past still have victims in the present and they don't want to do anything to fix it.

Did you leave out a word? If past events don't still have present victims (they do), why would anyone "pretend" they do to avoid fixing that? The only way I can parse that sentence as it stands ends up in ridiculous conspiracy theory territory.

Yeah, I left out a word. It's obviously supposed to be "pretend that the past doesn't still have victims in the present". My bad.
Kirki

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:38 am Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:

And I've yet to see a single person say that they think the series is intentionally or convincingly anti-semitic. What I have seen is people discussing how they find the use of real-world genocide imagery in the context of a fantasy story in poor taste. Or explaining how the imagery, when mixed with the worldbuilding of AoT, can inadvertently lead to unfortunate implications that resemble real-world anti-semitic propaganda. Some folks seem to be doing some serious mental long-jumps to get to the conclusion that anyone criticizing (or heck, just discussing) the implications of the latest episode is actively condemning the story or its creator.

That's because the story isn't anti-semitic or fascist. Someone just said something stupid on twitter, and because it was about a sensitive subject, it blew out of proportion with everyone offering their two cents.

Unfortunately, as it seems to me though, the reviewer went way out of his way in trying to make a connection with this "controversy". The reason everyone is still talking about all of this, is because it's extremely contradictory and vague. There is nothing specific enough to base those kinds of arguments, so everybody is trying to prove they are not, without someone saying specifically they are, and no one understanding what they are complaining about. "Unfortunate implications that resemble real-world anti-semitic propaganda".... What do they imply exactly? That Jews were monsters that deserved to be massacred? Either they meant that or not, thinking that we have to converse about fascism after hearing this, is not a mental long jump at all.

All I'm hearing is: "Well, AoT might be fascist. Or not. Or it might be. Seriously the WWII imagery suggests it is. He shouldn't have used that. Because Jews. We might wish we had never seen what was inside the basement. But it might turn out alright. At least it wasn't intentional. Or not. Or I don't know. But maybe yes."

Those statements are completely devoid of substance, but it is completely logical that they will spark conversations about how, why, and if AoT is fascist or not. You can't expect that mentioning the word "fascism" will not create reactions. When you say dramatic things like "why did you have to use this imagery" (=just using the imagery is bad by itself) and "we should have never looked into the basement", (=something really bad has happened for this series) you simply cannot expect that there will be no comments about this.

The only reasonable argument I heard was when someone mentioned that they fear that the armbands are presented in a more toned-down way that they were used in WWII, that's the comment about poor taste I think, because of fear that they would lose their meaning. Even if I don't agree, at least this is something I can understand the logic behind. I don't agree though, because genocide is a recurring theme during the series and not ignored, albeit not used in a way that mirrors history. Neither did it have to. I think that if, when I see the armband, I instinctively think: "Oh these people sure are not having fun and it's a race thing" that's enough for me to grasp the general situation of the fictional world, and I don't see how this could harm the real world, so at least for me it's not tasteless.

Last but not least, I too believe that there is no downside to knowing history. HOWEVER, you need to be careful about the history they are feeding you. You need to be able to think critically and recognize which information is dubious and which isn't. For example, look at the history books of elementary schools. When your nation is invading, they are heroes. When they are being invaded, the invaders are the bad guys. When Grisha foolishly says: "Ymir created the Titans for good!" "How do you know Grisha? Did you translate all the books?" "No, but that is surely how it is, I know it, it cannot be any other way!" ...weeeeellll.... good going Grisha. Really, good decisions. Like everything in your entire life.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:02 am Reply with quote
We live in a vicarious world today, where people live off the offense of others whether real or imaginary. We take one look at one Twitter comment and go to every length to raise hell on the commenter for not thinking of the feelings of others whether or not they would actually care to begin with. The blankets of offense of others has become so heavily laden that we often ignore the ones that are actually being offended in favor of those we believe are being offended. And ironically in these circumstances the best defense is a good offense.

But you know, the major problem with fighting for the "Others" that you feel are being offended is that it propagates the notion of "Others" in ways that you never intended. You see a bully bullying weaker people so you stand up and bully the bully, so now you've become the bully. And the scary thing is that it's so easy to fall into an Otherness sense of the world; everyone is the hero of their own story, nobody wants to be the villain. Hell, this long comment of mine can even be perpetuated as an offense against others be they offending others or decrying others for offending others. Some "Other" will be offended no matter what stance I take real or otherwise.

In the end, there is no way to win because there is nothing tangible to win. The cycle of offense and division of Others continues to coil like an ouroboros. And I think that's what the show is attempting to convey. Others will disagree.
Ethe

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Episode 58:

Just gonna leave this here:

John Thacker

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I will never turn down an opportunity to shut down the tiresome “They're just good friends!” argument.

Really? I mean, sometimes it's true that characters are just good friends despite the shipping (regardless of whether the shipping is queer or not), and sometimes it's true that a show (and its creator) leaves it ambiguous intentionally. Someone who is so super eager as to never turn down an opportunity to insist that there's subtext is just as tiresome as someone who denies every possible queer relationship subtext.

Guess you have to go and "shut down" Kumota Haruko, author of Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju, for insisting (unlike her other, mostly BL works) that "they're just good friends" in that case. (Though obviously, sure, people are free to have interpretations different than the author or actors.)

Last edited by John Thacker on Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Realhokageomar

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:14 pm Reply with quote
"Irresponsible appropiation" lol wtf.
Marakutanay

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:02 pm Reply with quote
I'm confused about something. Which Titan is Eren? The Attack Titan or the Founding Titan?
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Both. You can be more than one if you just eat the people that have them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 36 of 39