• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Attack on Titan

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IboughtYoulunch13times

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:13 pm Reply with quote
I can't read these reviews anymore. Dedicating 1/3 or more of every review to modern politics rather than the actually story is what is truly "tiresome" oh, and appropriation in an artistic work of fiction isn't irresponsible or uncomfortable. Period. All that matters is the message and AoT has had many good ones including several about censorship.
Doodleboy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:43 pm Reply with quote
It's interesting to parse the worldview of this episode. Attack on Titan very much espouses a lot of anti-war sentiments yet it also not a completely pacifistic story. Much of the problems of the universe is caused by the King's unwillingness to fight. And despite the story dedicating a lot of it's time to skewering Eren's point of view, it still finds Eren's desire to fight for freedom admirable. Sometimes you have to defend yourself, sometimes you have to fight to liberate yourself from systemic oppression. Which on it's face I kind of agree with.

At the very worse I can imagine this story turning into a Dark Knight-ish War on Terror allegory. Where war, torture, genocide and authoritarian rule are considered "unfortunate but necessary". There's some evidence for this, Levi and Hange did torture people. There's also Armin's repeated phase of "Those who can not throw anything away, can not gain anything.", and Erwin's role of being a necessary demon.

If it does go there it'll be a nihilistic end though. Now that the basement secrets are out the story has gone from "How can we defeat the titans?" to "how can we free ourselves from this cycle of violence?". If the story turns to an all-out war, the two outcomes are either Eldian genocide or Eren using the Coordinate to bring human technology back into the stone-age and cull most of the human population. A world ruled by Titans, exactly the dystopian setting that started this story.

It's interesting to see the "sin of trying to attain freedom" as a motif though. Yes there's an anti-semetic undertone to the Ymir's story(intentional or not), but there's also a Christian one. Original sin, losing innocence, garden of Eden etc. Eren's desire to go beyond the walls leading him to the survey corps, and slowly losing his innocence through war. Eren's also harshly learns bit by bit the naivety of his own world-view, culminating in the basement. Grisha's desire to go beyond the walls to see the airships, leading to his sister's death and himself learning how oppressive the Marley government is.

With the coordinate super-power being what it is we'll probably see the cause of the Titans soon enough. It'll be interesting to know what Ymir's original sin was. At the moment my best guess is that Ymir did use the Titan power to liberate people, and then she got killed and her descendants ate her corpse, using the Titan power as an empire-building tool (with the 13 year rule being Ymir trying to stop this from beyond the grave).

Last edited by Doodleboy on Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Richmyster84

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Wouldn't it be wild if the Marleans are Israelis and the Eldians are Palestinians?
ShatteredWorld

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:55 pm Reply with quote
One of the things that I just love, love, love about fiction is time-travel done right. When it is, it brings a smile to my face. And when its not (Avengers - Endgame, Kingdom Hearts 3D)...disgusting.

So you can imagine how great it was to read (and then hear again, years later) Kruger's line about Mikasa and Armin. The idea that paths connect all Eldians to one another is crazy all on its own in a delightfully existential way, but even crazier that it implies that the memories and experiences of other Eldians, whether past, present or future, are all able to be grasped in a sense. It's as sci-fi as sci-fi gets and I love Isayama for that
Kirki

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:05 am Reply with quote
Quote:
helps me contextualize its irresponsible appropriation of real-world iconography as ultimately well-intentioned, despite the accompanying discomfort.

*crickets*

Ok, that's it, we're done here, no point. Moving on...

This week, on the Wonderful Decision Making Show, what Kruger said to Grisha:

"Grab the Founding Titan and make the world turn again, but make a family so that you will have something to live for while accomplishing your mission."

What Grisha understood:

"Well, since you failed with the first child..."

This is how you end up with a 10-year-old little psycho that stabs people to death without hesitation, Grisha. spoiler[Now guess what that psycho is capable of doing when he understands the inevitable, and win a cookie! Hint: Eren has absolutely zero chill, and a very limited capacity for guilt.]

Also, I think that labeling Ymir and Historia's relationship as simply romantic and leave it at that, is dumbing down its complexity. Ymir saw herself in Historia and tried to save her and save herself through her, by making her reject her self-sacrificial tendencies. When Historia showed enough guts to stand up for herself, Ymir was satisfied and she left in order to face her own demons and assume her own responsibilities. In turn, Historia gave Eren a very much needed wake up call about self sacrifice and martyrdom. Whether or not there was a romantic hue in their relationship is secondary, and sometimes we forget that these characters are just 15 years old... ok they don't look the part, but they are still quite young. Ymir and Historia weren't into a romantic relationship, if Ymir had romantic feelings, which she most probably did, that doesn't mean she actually acted on them, or that Historia reciprocated this kind of love, but it doesn't mean that there was not a possibility it would have turned to something romantic if Ymir had stayed. Just like Eren and Mikasa love and care for each other, and Mikasa has romantic feelings for Eren, but the two of them are not in a romantic relationship. That doesn't mean that they can't be in a romantic relationship later on, there is potential, but for now, this is not the main nature of their current relationship.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:13 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Grisha has no idea who Mikasa and Armin are, and even Eren wonders whose memories just bled into his own. It could be nothing more than a sly easter egg, but the implication that these Titan memories can travel through time is such a cool and unexpected wrinkle

The other possibility that occurred to me was that everything happening in Eren's head constitutes an unreliable narrator, and that it's possible modern-day Eren is constructing at least some of this history for himself.
SheRrIs

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:04 am Reply with quote
It's interesting to watch Eren grow more sombre as the series progresses. His simplistic worldview of 'humans - good, titans - bad' is crumbling, crumbling, crumbling... Smile

I, too, disagree that Historia reciprocates Ymir's romantic feelings. She accepts Ymir's love, but views her as a friend. Anyway, we should be glad AoT was not 'netflixed'. Laughing

Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:19 pm Reply with quote
The hilarious part of this episode it's realising that the Manga's English name it's wrongly translated (Something that's actually more common than one would guess).
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Sherris wrote:
I, too, disagree that Historia reciprocates Ymir's romantic feelings. She accepts Ymir's love, but views her as a friend. Anyway, we should be glad AoT was not 'netflixed'. Laughing

Seeing how the editor(with Isayama sitting right there) confirmed that Ymir & Christa(Historia) were a romantic couple some 2 plus years ago and how they encouraged the fan-fic.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I hope we get more time to work out their relationship in season 4, because this moment with one of the show's best characters was great but all too brief.

The reviewer,and some others,do realize Ymir is dead right?

She was the current Jaw Titan,that was her bargaining chip in the deal she made with Reiner & Bertholdt last season.remember?
And the letter shows Historia Ymir's fate.Folks may have missed it,but the anime does adapt the letter in full.
Kirki

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Nordhmmer wrote:
Sherris wrote:

Seeing how the editor(with Isayama sitting right there) confirmed that Ymir & Christa(Historia) were a romantic couple some 2 plus years ago and how they encouraged the fan-fic.

No one ever confirmed they were a couple. The editor said that Ymir had romantic feelings for Historia. This is different. It does not mean that they were a couple. Again, like Eren/Mikasa.

Also yes, Ymir is very dead by now. Not really a spoiler, since Historia sees her through magic royal blood powers ready to be sacrificed in this episode.
SheRrIs

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Nordhmmer wrote:

Kirki wrote:

Surprised
Is there a link to this interview?
proper1420

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Sherris wrote:

This crunchyroll.com article from 2014 may be it:

https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-feature/2014/08/05-1/feature-attack-on-titan-qa-panel-at-animagic-in-bonn-germany

It summarizes answers given by a producer, George Wada, to questions during an panel at an Animagic convention. Apparently Isayama was not there. The relevant quote from the article:

Quote:
Furthermore, he confirmed the characters Christa and Ymir to actually be a couple and expressed that he found any kind of Doujinshi for the show "very interesting".
Kirki

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:03 am Reply with quote
proper1420 wrote:
Sherris wrote:

https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-feature/2014/08/05-1/feature-attack-on-titan-qa-panel-at-animagic-in-bonn-germany

It summarizes answers given by a producer, George Wada, to questions during an panel at an Animagic convention. Apparently Isayama was not there. The relevant quote from the article:

Quote:
Furthermore, he confirmed the characters Christa and Ymir to actually be a couple and expressed that he found any kind of Doujinshi for the show "very interesting".

Really? Honestly I don't remember it this way, but I might be wrong. Unfortunately I can't seem to find the entire interview anywhere so that we can learn what he said exactly. I just remember reading relative articles back in the days and think oh, okay, they are not telling us anything we don't already know, but that's logical, they can't.

Either way, I don't know how credible is anything not coming from Isayama himself or at least his editor. Maybe he just shipped it. If I were Isayama and hadn't made it clear up to this point, I'd choose to leave it as that, it makes more sense.

"Any kind of doujinshi"... Levi, Eren, did you hear this...
SheRrIs

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:14 am Reply with quote
Kirki wrote:
proper1420 wrote:
Sherris wrote:

Quote:

Really? Honestly I don't remember it this way, but I might be wrong. Unfortunately I can't seem to find the entire interview anywhere so that we can learn what he said exactly. I just remember reading relative articles back in the days and think oh, okay, they are not telling us anything we don't already know, but that's logical, they can't.

Maybe that was a mistranslation.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 37 of 39