• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Attack on Titan

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ethe

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:15 am Reply with quote
This is really off-topic and random, but WIT Studio just posted this illustration on Twitter and I may or may not have found my new avatar:

SheRrIs

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Ethe wrote:

I love those creepy Armin faces. Anime smile

The last episode. So much to digest. Eren's completed a hero's journey...or rather that's a new beginning for him. Observing Eren is so much fun, and so rewarding. Eren's a gift that keeps on giving. The man who claims to love freedom above anything else is a slave to his father's legacy and literally possessed by ghosts of previous Attack-on Titan 'users'. That's right, 'free will' does not exist.
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:46 am Reply with quote
Sherris wrote:
Ethe wrote:

The last episode. So much to digest. Eren's completed a hero's journey...or rather that's a new beginning for him. Observing Eren is so much fun, and so rewarding. Eren's a gift that keeps on giving. The man who claims to love freedom above anything else is a slave to his father's legacy and literally possessed by ghosts of previous Attack-on Titan 'users'. That's right, 'free will' does not exist.

too little too late.

MOD EDIT - MAJOR MANGA SPOILERS

spoiler[ considering that the next arc turns him into an ABSOLUTE ASSHOLE, ] its safe to say that you and the reviewer will INSANELY DISAPPOINTED!!!! and became even worse spoiler[ after sasha gets killed off by a couple of marlean kids and pretty much ends his friendship between those two in the worst possible way. not to mention of those crazy ass unconfirmed rumors that he was the one that secretly got historia preggers!!! ] so yea, be prepared to be incredibly disappointed at eren;s demeanor during the upcoming marlean arc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Realhokageomar

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:13 am Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
Sherris wrote:
Ethe wrote:

too little too late.

spoiler[ considering that the next arc turns him into an ABSOLUTE ASSHOLE, ] its safe to say that you and the reviewer will INSANELY DISAPPOINTED!!!! and became even worse spoiler[ after sasha gets killed off by a couple of marlean kids and pretty much ends his friendship between those two in the worst possible way. not to mention of those crazy ass unconfirmed rumors that he was the one that secretly got historia preggers!!! ] so yea, be prepared to be incredibly disappointed at eren;s demeanor during the upcoming marlean arc.

Well speak for yourself because Eren's popularity has rised to the top after this arc
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:39 am Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
so yea, be prepared to be incredibly disappointed at eren;s demeanor during the upcoming marlean arc.

Meh, I try not to judge the appropriateness of any of Attack on Titan's characters' actions mid-story arc, as almost every story beat Isayama pens feels much better at the end of an arc than in the middle. If we get to the end and he's still like that, then I'll be disappointed. Razz
FackuIkari

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:41 am Reply with quote
Quote:
As much as I'd like to think that they'll be able to rise up and become their best selves, that vacant and horrified exhaustion in Eren's eyes reminds me that things are never that easy.

You have no idea. I know is Manga Reader 101 but... You're not ready
SheRrIs

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:47 am Reply with quote
Not this s^^te again... What controversy? A click-bait article on a (generally shunned) site full of click-bait articles is now 'controversy'? Again, how is the use of 'parallels to real world atrocities' questionable? Is human history a deity or something, and can only be referenced in works of fiction upon gaining some special approval? Otherwise it's desecration? I'm just curious how you'd comment on Fullmetal Alchemist (Mizushima's version) or Gundam 00 if you've seen them. 'The use of parallels to the US military involvement in the Middle East is highly questionable', 'some people may be offended'? Let alone something like 'Code Geass'. Heaven forbid that anime should dare to touch upon 'heavy' or political topics!

Realhokageomar wrote:
jr240483 wrote:
Sherris wrote:
Ethe wrote:

too little too late.

Well speak for yourself because Eren's popularity has rised to the top after this arc

Yeah speak for yourself. I'm loving Eren's descent into a menace to the world. It's a sight to behold.
FackuIkari

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:58 am Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
Sherris wrote:
Ethe wrote:

too little too late.

Current Eren is Best Eren
Ethe

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:08 pm Reply with quote
That was a bumpy season for sure. I found the first three episodes to be rather weak, and the later parallels to real world history were poorly thought out, but the middle had some of the best stuff in the show. In particular, Erwin and Armin's sacrifices will always remain two of my favourite moments in the entire story. And of course, I'm glad we ended S3 on such a high note; that was a perfect last episode in my book.

Anyway, at the end of the day, despite its flaws, I always come back to Attack on Titan for its wonderful character writing and themes, so I can't wait for next season, which is going to cover my favourite arc.

And as always, I enjoyed reading your reviews, James! I'll be looking forward to them next year too Smile

Last edited by Ethe on Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Sherris wrote:
A click-bait article on a (generally shunned) site full of click-bait articles is now 'controversy'?

We as a community have spent decades trying to get people to recognize manga as literature, as art, as something more than easily-forgettable schlock. We can't have any of that without opening up the possibility that other fans are going to respond to the work differently from us. Consequently, while I don't agree with any of the conclusions of that Polygon article that you're presumably referencing, I'm certainly not going to pretend that Western fans haven't been questioning how Attack on Titan handles race since at least 2015 (and that for a lot of people who already believed that the show was iffy, the armbands are the straw that breaks the camel's back):

https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/the-troubling-relationship-between-anime-and-fascism

https://www.mangauk.com/13757/

https://forum.evageeks.org/thread/17357/Attack-on-Titan-Racist-and-should-I-care/

http://collider.com/attack-on-titan-fascist/

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/2000121-anime-and-manga-other-titles/70050416

https://www.quora.com/What-are-some-thoughts-from-Jewish-readers-of-Attack-on-Titan-who-are-caught-up-on-the-manga-I've-seen-complaints-of-antisemitism-and-nationalism-but-they-mostly-seem-to-hinge-on-the-first-couple-seasons-of-the-anime
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:59 pm Reply with quote
At the end of the day, not even AoT could avoid the inevitable beach episode...
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Minos_Kurumada wrote:
At the end of the day, not even AoT could avoid the inevitable beach episode...

(golf clap)
sim0n2170

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:17 pm Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
Sherris wrote:
Ethe wrote:

too little too late.

Current manga Eren is best Eren
Doodleboy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Ah this is the part of the story where Floch’s role becomes more prominent. Floch is kind of the everyman character, as represented in his scene here. While he’s awful, he is right about how soldiers being used as pawns shouldn’t really be celebrated.

For floch’s other role I’ll leave it in the spoiler since it gives vague plot direction.

spoiler[
Floch’s role in the series is also to be the worst person. A study on how mediocre dudes can get caught up in reactionary nationalism. Floch sucks. Floch sucks hardcore. That’s probably why Isayama gave him shitty haircut..]

Anyways enjoyed the reviews, look forward to seeing Beckett review the final season when it comes out.
Kirki

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:12 am Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
Sherris wrote:
A click-bait article on a (generally shunned) site full of click-bait articles is now 'controversy'?

We as a community have spent decades trying to get people to recognize manga as literature, as art, as something more than easily-forgettable schlock. We can't have any of that without opening up the possibility that other fans are going to respond to the work differently from us. Consequently, while I don't agree with any of the conclusions of that Polygon article that you're presumably referencing, I'm certainly not going to pretend that Western fans haven't been questioning how Attack on Titan handles race since at least 2015 (and that for a lot of people who already believed that the show was iffy, the armbands are the straw that breaks the camel's back):

https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/the-troubling-relationship-between-anime-and-fascism

https://www.mangauk.com/13757/

https://forum.evageeks.org/thread/17357/Attack-on-Titan-Racist-and-should-I-care/

http://collider.com/attack-on-titan-fascist/

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/2000121-anime-and-manga-other-titles/70050416

[url]https://www.quora.com/What-are-some-thoughts-from-Jewish-readers-of-Attack-on-Titan-who-are-caught-up-on-the-manga-I've-seen-complaints-of-antisemitism-and-nationalism-but-they-mostly-seem-to-hinge-on-the-first-couple-seasons-of-the-anime[/url]

Going by the logic of the first article, every series that features the military is fascist.

The second article is pulling on straws for various series, saying vague things just to say them and interpreting them as it fits them, just to speak bad of the anime medium.

The third one is complaining about the names because the names are of European descent and that's supposedly a bad thing.

The fourth one pretty much is trying to say what we all have said in the comments the past month.

The fifth one is literally nothing.

The sixth one says page does not exist, but I guess it is also something not nearly as serious as it seems to be presented.

To sum it up, if we think these are enough to constitute controversy, then I can write you a lengthy analysis on how Jojo's Bizarre Adventure is speaking bad of animal rights and is offensive towards vegans, make some posts in a couple of forums, then call it controversial. The results would be pretty much the same.

Anyways, I don't think there is much point in continuing arguments of this kind, it's not like anyone's opinion is going to change. Long story short, I did not enjoy the reviews this time. Not because the reviewer seems to have an opinion different than mine, but because I believe that he did not know how to support properly his views for issues of this kind. Hoping for a better and more thoughtful continuation for the Final season!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 38 of 39