• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Attack on Titan

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ethe

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:22 pm Reply with quote
As Hange put it at the beginning of the episode, "Defeat is all the Scout Regiment has ever known", so seeing one of their plans succeed put a smile on my face. It was a small victory, but such a satisfying one.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:22 am Reply with quote
vonPeterhof wrote:
The Scout characters haven't yet figured out how the humans are transformed into titans, but they've figured out that when a common titan eats a titan shifter (a human capable of transforming into a titan at will) they revert to their human form and inherit the shifter's power.

So why didn't that happen to the Titan who ate Erin in the first season? Is the "at will" part significant?
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:24 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
vonPeterhof wrote:
The Scout characters haven't yet figured out how the humans are transformed into titans, but they've figured out that when a common titan eats a titan shifter (a human capable of transforming into a titan at will) they revert to their human form and inherit the shifter's power.

So why didn't that happen to the Titan who ate Erin in the first season?
I was writing from the point of view of what the Scouts have managed to piece together so far; the actual conditions for the transfer of powers are a little more specific than that. IIRC they should be revealed pretty soon.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:11 am Reply with quote
^ Fair enough. But even so, I have to wonder why they're all panicking about Erin getting eaten, when they know he's been eaten before and he just exploded his way right out of the Titan that downed him. Like, if there are gaps in their knowledge, it makes more sense to me if they weren't terrified he'd be eaten (knowing he was fine the last time it happened) when maybe they should be, rather than worrying now, when their current level of information suggests they don't need to. Or maybe what I'm wondering is if they think eating a shifter transfers powers, why has no one questioned that not happening the first time he was eaten?

I guess the thorn here for me is that it's like they all forgot this has happened to him before.
shakir0247

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:02 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
vonPeterhof wrote:

So why didn't that happen to the Titan who ate Erin in the first season? Is the "at will" part significant?

I don't think that's meant to be a important mystery to be honest. My guess is that he didn't actually eat Eren, he was still alive inside that titan's stomach. Just another example of why it's important to chew before you swallow Cool
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:03 am Reply with quote
shakir0247 wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:
vonPeterhof wrote:

I don't think that's meant to be a important mystery to be honest. My guess is that he didn't actually eat Eren, he was still alive inside that titan's stomach. Just another example of why it's important to chew before you swallow Cool

Yup. Specifically, you have to bite through the neck or otherwise destroy the neck/head area, where the Titan juice/control center is stored. If Eren had gotten digested or chewed up more, this would have happened, but he got very lucky.
Kirigea

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:50 am Reply with quote
Whilst I'm aware a B is not a bad grade, given the lack of actual negative criticism for Ep. 42 in Beckett's review, I'm interested in where it was lacking because personally I thought it was such a well-crafted episode from the pacing and structure to the audiovisuals and cinematography. One of AoT's best episodes from my perspective and I could never have expected this level of mystery, depth, and nuanced approach when I first started this series.
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:49 am Reply with quote
JacobC wrote:
shakir0247 wrote:

Yup. Specifically, you have to bite through the neck or otherwise destroy the neck/head area, where the Titan juice/control center is stored. If Eren had gotten digested or chewed up more, this would have happened, but he got very lucky.
FWIW I didn't think it was an important mystery either, but I've learned the hard way that some people's definitions of "spoiler" are much broader than mine, to the point of being applied to any and all information that's patently obvious and/or utterly inconsequential, but only gets explicitly confirmed later on in the text. Oh well, as long as the mods are okay with it Very Happy
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:53 pm Reply with quote
While it took me a couple posts to articulate what was actually bothering me about this, it doesn't seem to have made any difference, as that's been ignored.

It doesn't matter if it's "intended" to be a mystery or not. The problem is that the characters are behaving as if there's no precedent for Eren getting eaten. They don't know he needs to have his head mauled (and neither did I until Jacob lobbed in with that), but they should recall that he got a bit chewed, losing an arm and a leg the first time, and came out just fine. Why, with the incomplete knowledge that they've pieced together, are they so certain it will be different this time?

And if something is later explicitly confirmed in the text (in which case yes, that would make it a spoiler at this point), then apparently it's neither obvious nor inconsequential, or else the author wouldn't have taken the trouble to explicitly make it clear. If it's not confirmed, then it's just free-for-all speculation/deduction, no problem. Either way, that still doesn't address why the characters are acting like Eren's never been Titan chow before. That's either a problem of plotting or I've overlooked or forgotten something that explains it. I asked because the latter seemed the most likely to me.

Anyway, thanks vonPeterhof for your considerate replies to my query.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

, or else the author wouldn't have taken the trouble to explicitly make it clear. If it's not confirmed, then it's just free-for-all speculation/deduction, no problem.

The author right along has very heavily implied the answer to your original question.

Season 1:Certain brief the scenes between Eren & his Father...a vial.
Season 2:Ymir's conversations with Berthodlt & Reiner.
Season 3:Eren remembering the above conservation (glad the author helped Eren remember in full and then some) and writing it down for Hange.

Hange being a genius,has already surmised a great deal.So certain of the Scouts are aware of the possibility.
Ethe

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Good episode. My only complaint is that by reducing the subplot about the media staying quiet for fear of the government to a single flashback kinda diminishes the message that "everyone's small contribution can make a big change", but I'll let it slide.

James Beckett wrote:
Leave it to Attack on Titan to make a military coup d'état feel relatively subdued and low-key.

I find this interesting. In my head, I always pictured this moment as epic and triumphant. Heck, I thought the whole point of the coup d'état was to make it feel like a massive victory; to give the audience a false sense of relief and make them think "Finally! They're winning!", only to remind them that the fight is far from over. Yet the whole thing felt more low-key and subdued throughout, as you said. I'm still not sure if that was on purpose or not. I mean, why would they add such kickass music in the background if they didn't want to make the moment feel grand?

Granted, maybe I just got the wrong impression when I read the manga, but I wanted to share my thoughts nonetheless.

Gina Szanboti wrote:
The problem is that the characters are behaving as if there's no precedent for Eren getting eaten (...) they should recall that he got a bit chewed, losing an arm and a leg the first time, and came out just fine. Why, with the incomplete knowledge that they've pieced together, are they so certain it will be different this time?

And how could they be certain it won't? They know for a fact that that's how it was for Ymir. And even if they explicitly brought up the time Eren was eaten by Santa, would that really change what they set out to do?

I get where you're coming from, but you have to remember the Scouts know next to nothing about the titans or how they work, and that's precisely why they need to act based on the incomplete knowledge that they've pieced together, even if one or two things still don't make sense to them or the audience.

----

On a side note: those are some nice back muscles if I do say so myself.
James_Beckett
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:28 pm Reply with quote
#885205 wrote:
Whilst I'm aware a B is not a bad grade, given the lack of actual negative criticism for Ep. 42 in Beckett's review, I'm interested in where it was lacking because personally I thought it was such a well-crafted episode from the pacing and structure to the audiovisuals and cinematography. One of AoT's best episodes from my perspective and I could never have expected this level of mystery, depth, and nuanced approach when I first started this series.

The "B" grade is more a result of my overall feelings about the episode, especially when compared other chapters from within the series itself. So even though there isn't anything "wrong" with the episode, per se, I just personally felt it wasn't *quite* as thrilling, thematically rich, or otherwise entertaining as other episodes of either this season or the best episodes of previous seasons. That's a nebulous, subjective reaction to try to convey in only so many words, hence the letter grade.

It was definitely a good episode, though, and I can easily see why some would rate it higher than me.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

It doesn't matter if it's "intended" to be a mystery or not. The problem is that the characters are behaving as if there's no precedent for Eren getting eaten. They don't know he needs to have his head mauled (and neither did I until Jacob lobbed in with that), but they should recall that he got a bit chewed, losing an arm and a leg the first time, and came out just fine. Why, with the incomplete knowledge that they've pieced together, are they so certain it will be different this time?

I guess my question would be: what good would it serve them to assume he'd be OK? The character may know that he survived being eaten that one time, but that doesn't mean that's what will happen every time, and considering Kenny's crew specifically targeted Eren they have just as much reason to assume he'll be killed this time. And even if they didn't, it wouldn't exactly be the smartest move to sit back and just assume the kidnappers' plan will fail and Eren will be OK without their help.
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:01 am Reply with quote
ShatteredWorld wrote:

Yup. So essentially, Kenny and his folk are more equivalent to the Suicide Squad, with the Inner Circle type guys serving as a collective Amanda Waller

speaking of which, did anyone got the hint that the dub was trying a little TOO MUCH to have Kenny as an over the top western cowboy????
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mhora

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:28 pm Reply with quote
How the hell can this show look this ugly? The cave scenes in ep SIN, was pretty much just sin.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 19 of 39