• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ghost in the Shell Film Estimated to Earn US$20 Million Over 3-Day Debut Weekend

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:55 am Reply with quote
With actual/alleged Hollywood Accouting, I could see that as fair use against the piracy card being thrown around.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:31 am Reply with quote
Don't forget that with AYNIK/EOT, Tom Cruise is a walking ball of pure charisma. ScarJo isn't a tenth of that onscreen presence.
azabaro
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:42 am Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
$20M seems like a bad start for a movie with a $110M+ budget...

It's roughly in line with Pacific Rim's opening weekend (ranking #3 in opening weekend, $37 million box office vs. a $190 million production budget), which suggests that whether this is a flop or a marginal success will be up to the international box office.

Oh, other folks brought up the question about why box office take has to be about double production budget to consider the film "break-even". At least one reason for this is that there isn't a clear apples-to-apples comparison: the production budget is a cost seen by the producers of the film, but the box office take is what's seen by the theaters - not every $ of box office take goes back to the producers (and IIRC the percentage that does varies over its theatrical run). The box office take should also ideally cover marketing costs, which often aren't listed. People want a simple rule of thumb for determining how a film is doing, and "double production cost = break-even" is about the best we have...
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:04 am Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
So, China now needs to save it as the US proved a washout. It will break "even" though. 100 mil ain´t that hard to crack, unless you are Ben Hur or something. Any franchise potential is now dead in the water though. That´s what happens if you mess with dead genres and keep a film in development for a decade.

Hmmm doesn't bode well for Akira and Battle Angel Alita.

walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Don't forget that with AYNIK/EOT, Tom Cruise is a walking ball of pure charisma. ScarJo isn't a tenth of that onscreen presence.

That charisma didn't save a lot his movies after the whole "jumping on the couch" thing people loved to bring up whenever one of his movie's flopped.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:13 pm Reply with quote
It's a shame. I really enjoyed the movie but they dumbed it down too much. I had no problem with a significantly different take on the original material unlike many, but I think it suffered terribly for its director. However, contrary to all the angry snowflakes, Scarlett Johansson was as strong as she could be as the Major given the script. She clearly put the effort in and it's a shame that there was so much salt over the casting when people should've been more concerned about the director and script.

I hope it performs well internationally so we can see more adaptions taken on by more experienced teams.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:35 pm Reply with quote
BTW, BOM has its current worldwide total at $59 million. And that's before it hits China. Cool
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:48 pm Reply with quote
GITS opened at a really bad time because it has to compete with the all powerful Power Rangers and the God knows why sensation Beauty and the Beast. GITS would have been much better off starting at an earlier or later time. Sad
CatSword

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Aaaand it lost a million. Confused
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:53 pm Reply with quote
AnimeLordLuis wrote:
GITS opened at a really bad time because it has to compete with the all powerful Power Rangers and the God knows why sensation Beauty and the Beast. GITS would have been much better off starting at an earlier or later time. :(

This definitely didn't help.
delariean

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:15 pm Reply with quote
#838774 wrote:
It's a shame. I really enjoyed the movie but they dumbed it down too much. I had no problem with a significantly different take on the original material unlike many, but I think it suffered terribly for its director. However, contrary to all the angry snowflakes, Scarlett Johansson was as strong as she could be as the Major given the script. She clearly put the effort in and it's a shame that there was so much salt over the casting when people should've been more concerned about the director and script.

I hope it performs well internationally so we can see more adaptions taken on by more experienced teams.

I thought it was good too. It felt like an intro to the franchise and that if it made money and a sequel were produced, then the complicated issues that GITS is known for would come in.

I will say whoever played Aramaki was Bad Ass!
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:56 pm Reply with quote
My favorite thing about the GitS franchise is how it refuses to talk down to its audience, and that's the main reason why this oversimplified live-action adaptation was so disappointing to me. Maybe it was the influence of former Marvel exec Avi Arad as one of the producers, but this need to hold viewers' hands and tie Motoko's origin story to the main plot with a clear-cut bad guy not only turned the movie into a generic blockbuster, but weakened Motoko's character considerably by making her an unknowing victim.

As for the "whitewashing" controversy, I actually think it would have been less of an issue if they had simply set the movie in the US. By setting it in an undefined metropolis where almost everyone is Japanese but somehow speaks English (Aramaki excepted, which I found bizarre), they just made the Caucasian actors stand out more and feel out of place.

Sure, the movie looks great, the special effects are top-notch and Sanders's reverence for Oshii's movies can be felt in just about every frame, but I just wish those were all supported by a more intelligent, subtler script.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:41 pm Reply with quote
To be profitable, a movie has to make twice it's production budget. Ideally, half of this will come from America and the rest from all other markets. Based on this, GITS will need $220 million to break even, and then more to compensate for marketing and other expenses.

For now, the movie looks like it will be similar to the Warcraft movie. It will no doubt bomb in America, but it will also make MILLIONS internationally, as the movie has Asian roots and China is the second-biggest movie market behind America. It should be noted that the movie has yet to open in China, or even Japan, so the apparent foreign "fail" is actually incomplete.
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
$20M seems like a bad start for a movie with a $110M+ budget...

Bad is an understatement, more like a mega disaster. Razz

What concerns me the most is how this might damage any future anime/manga interpretations from Japan. (Well I could care less about the stupid Naruto and Bleach live-action movies that are currently in pre-production. They obviously are going to bomb.)

It was stupid for them to have Scarlet Johansson as a lead, IMHO she's an overrated actress.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:01 pm Reply with quote
The movie's doing pretty well internationally. It's already made $60 million. It should have no problem breaking even overall. Both Speed Racer and Astro Boy didn't even do that. This movie was a risk, and would have been regardless of any casting or controversy. Even if they made a movie that was pure fanservice, it would not have done much, if any, better. Ghost in the Shell is still a niche property among a mainstream audience, and the same can be said for most video game adaptations.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:26 pm Reply with quote
It would probably have opened better in February or, dare I say, January, or, perhaps, Dreamworks/Paramount should have held off releasing it until August.

This March was kind of ridiculous with summer-like tentpoles such as Kong: Skull Island and Beauty and the Beast released each weekend. One of them was bound to underperform.

As for the guy that said that anime fans should support it anyways, movie tickets cost money, which I don't have a lot of, and I don't feel that eager to support what is, by most accounts I trust, an inferior remake of an anime film that I was never all that hot on in the first place. (I prefer GITS: Standalone Complex to the Oshii films.) I'm just a lot more interested in seeing Your Name next weekend although I'm not ruling out seeing Ghost in the Shell when it hits the second-run theatre in a month or so's time.

EDIT: Another thing I forgot to mention that is a lesser factor in why I didn't see Ghost in the Shell this weekend is that I cannot watch 3D films but no theatre close to me is playing it in 2D. The only theatres in Ottawa that have 2D screenings right now are in Kanata or Orleans, which are both way out in the boonies for me. (I'm in Nepean, which is more central.) I'd travel to Kanata to see Your Name, which I'm really only expecting to play on one or two screens in the Ottawa area, but I don't go out of my way to see a wide release. That's another advantage (besides lower ticket prices) of seeing movies second-run, Ottawa's main second-run theatre, Imagine St. Laurent (formerly Rainbow St. Laurent), only plays movies in 2D, which suits me just fine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3