• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - The Other 100 Best Anime Movies of All Time, Part 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Just Passing Through

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:23 am Reply with quote
The only Shonen Jump, ie Naruto/One PIece/Bleach etc movie that I really rate as a movie is Bleach Memories of Nobody. That actually felt like a feature film ahead of being just an extended filler episode with a higher budget. It might have had the typical girl guest star for the duration, and had to fit in the narrative without adding to it, but it was less about the action, and more about getting to the emotions of the audience.

It's the one such film that I am happy to rewatch.

Disclaimer: I am not a fan of the Bleach series, or the other movies. It's at the bottom of the long running shonen pile for me.
Topgunguy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:15 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Conqueror of Shamballa film is nothing short of shambolic, a flashy and intense ride but a sad little fart of a finale to a generally excellent TV series.The Sacred Star of Milos is ostensibly part of the Brotherhood family, having been made shortly after the TV series wrapped, but it kinda feels like its own deal, in a good way.

And yet another one of those "Brotherhood is Superior" rants. How the hell is this shonen battle series filler of a movie superior to the original which had more emotion and characterization? I had more reason to care about our world's version of Lyra than a cut and paste separated siblings story with a family friend / servant who became the antagonist cliche. And Lyra only had a 5 second non-speaking cameo.
Melchiorgk

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:16 am Reply with quote
Children Who Chase Lost Voices is decent, but I always have a hard time watching it and trying not to call it Neon Ghibli Evangelion.

I have seen clips of Penguin Memories at late night screenings before, and do wish to be able to see the full movie.

I also want to hunt down a copy of A Journey through Fairyland (I get Angel's Egg vibes from the shown visual.
Hawkmonger

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:39 am Reply with quote
Just Passing Through wrote:
The only Shonen Jump, ie Naruto/One PIece/Bleach etc movie that I really rate as a movie is Bleach Memories of Nobody. That actually felt like a feature film ahead of being just an extended filler episode with a higher budget. It might have had the typical girl guest star for the duration, and had to fit in the narrative without adding to it, but it was less about the action, and more about getting to the emotions of the audience.

I can not disagree with that, though personally I feel Hell Verse is a better movie, it does suffer somewhat by being TOO tied into the events of the manga's first arc.
Ouran High School Dropout

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Doing better...of this part of Mike's list, I've heard of 11 and seen 7 of those.

I'll start with WIndaria--am I correct that the film has never been licensed in the US in its original form? I saw Macek's "version" years ago, of course, but would love to see the film as is really is. (I have a region-free player; is there a foreign release somewhere?)

I have but dim memories of Locke the Superman and Demon City Shinjuku. The former left the impression of cheesy fun, while the latter had moments where it just creeped me out. Nice to see that Discotek has relicensed both.

From Up On Poppy Hill was a solid effort, exactly as Mike described. It makes me hopeful that Goro can do even better in the future. Also, I can see why Area 88 made the cut, and Children Who Chase Lost Voices is now on my immediate to-watch list.

But for me, the real gem in this set is The Sky Crawlers. It's slow, methodical, and (at least for me) succeeded in building a cold undercurrent of sickening dread, depression, and pity. It's a film that demands your patience and attention, but I'm okay with that.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Will Venus Wars really crack the top 50? Or is it not on the list at all?! I quiver with anticipation at the ranking of one of my favorite anime films of all time.

Last edited by Mr Adventure on Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
Zin5ki wrote:
It was intriguing to learn that Area 88 is actually a three-episode OVA. The DVD released last decade only contained two episodes, suggesting there is something we have been denied for some reason. Fortunately the contracted story does not seem to suffer from such an omission.

That was CPM's DVD release. ADV later re-released the Area 88 OVA in its complete, 3-episode form on DVD.

I have the ADV re-release, and I can confirm it only contains Episode 1 and 3 on two discs.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Getting into the realm of several things I've heard of, and even seen, but still lots of interesting-sounding stuff that I've never come across. I'm also a bit perplexed by seeing Milos show up here, though. It wasn't actively bad or anything, but it left pretty much no impression on me beyond the strange character design choices. Shamballa was at best an unnecessary sequel to a fantastic series, was pretty messy overall, and wound up screwing over a bunch of characters for no good reason, but even so, at least it actually tried to do something beyond the bog-standard Shounen Jump movie formula.

Speaking of, if Shounen Jump movies are fair game, I'm really hoping Mike slips One Piece Movie 6 in there somewhere. It has Mamoru Hosoda's talented fingerprints all over it, and it's both tonally and artistically distinct from anything else in the entire franchise.
AyanamiRei

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:25 am Reply with quote
It's not only Arion but basically all the movies he did in this period that Yasuhiko keeps resenting. (at least, it doesn't prevent the movies to be published out of Japan)

I was certain I saw the Locke movie in the first part of the list. Was it removed? o_o
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:52 am Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:
Will Venus Wars really crack the top 50? Or is it not on the list at all?! I quiver with anticipation at the ranking of one of my favorite anime films of all time.

Actually, Venus wars is on the Paste list, at #87.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Takkun4343 wrote:
Mr Adventure wrote:

Actually, Venus wars is on the Paste list, at #87.

Right, but what is Mike Toole going to rank it at?
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:17 pm Reply with quote
I'd have put the Sailor Moon R movie instead of the S movie on this list, while I love both, I'd be the first to admit the S movie is extremely overrated was unfortunately the weakest of the three movies (in my eyes), it's still a very good movie, with very high quality animation from Toei, but it focused too much on Luna, as much as I love her, and not as much on the other Sailors. Compared to the manga version, once again, I prefer the movie version, no offense to Naoko, but the manga version of it looking back on it is just boring, very tiny amount of action and only one battle where the Inner Senshi are involved (and they don't even attack). Ikuhara didn't leave Sailor Moon though at this point, he left in SuperS. The SuperS movie was the first one I saw, and I'm probably the only one who loved it as from what I've seen from recent reviews and such, I'm guessing not many Sailor Moon fans like it, I don't understand why though, I liked the story, the characters were used fine, and the animation was the best for a Sailor Moon production. Sad

Interesting bit of trivia there, Kaguya is voiced by the original Cutey Honey (from the 1973 series).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3