• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Akashic Records of Bastard Magical Instructor (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:27 am Reply with quote
Episode 10

I was kind of hoping that the fiancé character would not be evil, that maybe she could even have a nice relationship with the guy, bellow the surface seems to not be the case. Just bellow it even him treading on Sistine's dreams, with how he wants to dictate her life, and bellow his nice face seems part of the problem with belief of power that people might not be ready for. And he seems consorting with a villain.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:58 pm Reply with quote
I've *always* hated the "we made a promise when we were little that we would get married" trope. It's just *dumb*, and it is almost always used as a means to try to trap someone into something they don't really want. I hated it when Chi-Chi did it to Goku, and I hate it in this show, too. Of course, it looks like the whole thing was staged by that guy in glasses (isn't that the guy that first captured Rumia?). I'm sure this whole thing is going to tie in with the Angel Dust thing -- probably some sort of similar sequence of events to what got Glenn's (presumed) GF killed back in the day.

Also, I don't much like the "you look just like this dead person I cared about" trope, either... see Zoro's backstory in One Piece for another example of this. There's no way my suspension of disbelief is strong enough to go along with that.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:52 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

One things is for certain, they really did play up the different worlds thing that kind of had earlier, that he said Sistine would not like, that he himself felt disgusted by, and Sistine was frightened. How Glenn had to fight against the Angel Dust zombies was pretty gruesome, killing men and women no longer fully in control, poking their eyes out, a barbed wire whip, and shooting people dead. It was kind of well done that of course Sistine would be freaked out by it, but also recognise that despite that he was still the same guy, that he was already tormented by doing things like that through everything earlier, and kind of turning her back on him was not the kindest.

After all of this I do want to see more, it feels like we were just scratching the surface, and maid girl along with Justice guy does leave things open. Overall, this show did kind of go past expectations that might be expected of this genre, that people might have gave up straight away in saying this would be the exact same as all the others. Indeed the uniforms started out weird that it looked like the whole show would be shameless fanservice, but I think that in practice it kind of walked away from that and did better. And I think it is worth repeating that I was comparing this to The Royal Tutor, and I think that this show did the teacher thing much better. Glenn was an imperfect character that had his flaws, but they kind of worked all the more to make him kind of respectable with all of his good traits, like downplaying the mindless acts that might lead to violence and having one think. That even some things that made him look bad were things like defence mechanisms.

I give a rating of Good (7/10), it was worth seeing, and while it had it flaws, three of the arcs were a kidnaping of the same person, Rumia, I found it quite enjoyable. Not really finding much room elsewhere, I will add in some liking of Rumia's character, that in cliché she seems the type to be a bit of an airhead, but in practice came across as pretty perceptive. Just like I think how Sistine was a tsundere, but was usually pretty honest.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5