• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Amazon's Anime Strike Announces Full Spring Lineup, Premiere Dates

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:26 pm Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
So, the internet-Walmart known as Amazon has begun devouring anime. I guess it was only a matter of time. And just when I was hoping the CR/Funi deal might mean that most anime would finally be available on one service (that isn't part of a colossal kitchen-sink corp). Guess this is why we can't have nice things.

The only show I actually intended to watch this season happens to be on CR, but the way things are going I'll probably have to start resorting to piracy again. I can't support this kind of hyper-monopolization. Steam appears to be branching out from games into every form of digital content they can get their digital hands (no pun intended) on, which is also pretty unsettling. If our legislators had any understanding of technology, this sort of thing would be illegal.

In the current deregulation environment, I wouldn't count on it. After all, they just rolled back protections that kept internet companies from selling your information without your expressed consent.
railtracer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Anyone who supports anime strike know that you are aiding in the destruction of what was once a legitimate industry. Anime Strike is the worst thing to happen in this medium in a long while. Do not support it if you have any hope of things getting better. It's sad that pirating was getting better but now because of amazon it's just going to get worse. People are going to return to pirating and slowly start asking themselves 'why the hell am I paying for various legit services when I could just steal all of it and save me some money'. Mark my words this is going to hurt the anime industry in a big way and it will probably be indirectly anime strike's fault.

I have no problem supporting anime strike on its own or amazon prime but requiring both is bullshit. This split off of digital media is what I have an issue with especially considering how the fuc**rs lied about the anime support years ago...they also censor content. Welcome back to the Age of Piracy.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:14 am Reply with quote
BlueBeast33 wrote:
Someone want to explain to me how the hell Funimation/Crunchyroll wasn't able to get Bahamut S2 when Funimation has season 1 and even just recently dubbed it?

I'm beyond pissed right now. This Animestrike BS has done nothing but divided the community even further, and I've been seeing a lot of people who say they're just going to torrent the shows Animestrike has due to the double paywall.

With Amazon having over almost $136 billion in revenue, that speaks a lot. If Amazon got it dubbed but not the Funi cast, you can't fault Funi/CR.
tatere

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:18 pm Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
So, the internet-Walmart known as Amazon has begun devouring anime. I guess it was only a matter of time. And just when I was hoping the CR/Funi deal might mean that most anime would finally be available on one service (that isn't part of a colossal kitchen-sink corp). Guess this is why we can't have nice things.

The only show I actually intended to watch this season happens to be on CR, but the way things are going I'll probably have to start resorting to piracy again. I can't support this kind of hyper-monopolization. Steam appears to be branching out from games into every form of digital content they can get their digital hands (no pun intended) on, which is also pretty unsettling. If our legislators had any understanding of technology, this sort of thing would be illegal.

Amazon's general business model is to find some market that's not already occupied by one of the other internet behemoths and undercut the existing competitors until they're driven out. With anime licensing it's even better, because they don't need consumers, only the licensers. They don't care if you don't like the service.

Any kind of big-tent "all streaming is good for anime" is really missing the story.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7