• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Boruto: Naruto Next Generations

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animechic420

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
"Boruto himself is once again absent, but with so much going on, he isn't really missed."

That's an understatement. Wink
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Three people are mainly responsible for the situation Sarada in now in, and all cause they just don't take a time out ans ask a simple question or act like an adult.

First- I get that Sarada is an impulsive teen, but why the heel would she take the random word, of one random test from a total stranger as confirmation that Sakura is not her mother.

I get that she's been questioning her heritage but she's never met Shigetsu before and she just trusts him to do this test and believes the results at face value without asking any additional questions.

Issue person 2- Shiguetsu. What the hell is wrong with this idiot, he just trusts the questions or a random teenager he just met and conducts tests for her just because she asks. Has he still not learned how to act like an adult or think "Hey maybe this is stupid."

Idiot 3- NARUTO, please say literally anything to this girl who you've been with all day and trying to teach. Don't use this as some bullshit "Family is what you make of it" teaching moment and tell her the truth, Sakura and Sasuke are literally your best friends, you should be pretty confident that she's their daughter, say literally anything close to "She's your Mom trust me" and we'd be good!

Also I know the ending of the arc is spoiler[ Shiguetsu is a F-ing moron who thinks he''s being helpful and has to get the truth, that Karin was just a midwife when Sakura was giving birth, beaten into him by Karin but still, this situation basically arose from three people being idiots and not taking literally any time to ask simple questions or think for two seconds.] I like this arc but it suffers from some serious characters reacting stupidly to a situation syndrome.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:42 am Reply with quote
Actually, I think it's very telling that Naruto thinks its possible that Karin is Sarada's mother. We already know that Sarada wasn't born in the village, and that people who know Sasuke and Sakura know that their relationship isn't typical. Naruto is certainly not a genetics/biology expert and Suigetsu, trained and retained by Orochimaru, assumingly is. Naruto's trust in the test was faulty because he didn't know enough not to trust Suigetsu, not because he should trust Sasuke and Sakura more. His advice to Sarada was heartfelt in light of that.

Suigetsu, on the other hand...seriously. First of all, he didn't even check the label of the poorly stored umbilical cord he grabbed from the lab's junk drawer, and he shouldn't be using proprietary body parts to conduct tests on a minor without consent of all parties involved, and in the minor's case, her parents...also, you'd think those computers would have genetic information of every person Orochimaru has experimented on, so you wouldn't need to grab a gross piece of skin and dead stem cells from a drawer to do the test. (Dammit, guys! Stem cells in umbilical cords are important--freeze them and store them properly, don't keep them in a drawer!)
Suigetsu probably doesn't deal with kids very often, has no sense of medical ethics, or common sense whatsoever.

--Is this episode the first time Naruto, Sasuke and Sakura has ever heard of clones?
--Loved Cho Cho asking if Orochimaru would be her mother or her father (the answer is: both!)
--this is why I don't trust Itachi fanboys (also, if he cared a wit about Itachi's actual beliefs, "increasing conflict in support of Social Darwinism" is *not* what he was going for!)
I think having lots of episodes of Boruto without Boruto works very well! More of them, please! (I don't dislike Boruto, but this show works better as an ensemble piece).
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:56 am Reply with quote
The stupidest thing about the Sarada mother story (that makes it seem like it was written BY a 10-year old (rather than possible FOR one)) is that her mother would've been pregnant with her for NINE MONTHS (give or take). The story would have made a BILLION times more sense if it was questionable who her FATHER was, since at least THAT story could make sense with the confusion, but when the mother is still alive (and we're not talking a "swapped babies" situation) you should never have confusion about what woman their baby came out of.

(I realize real life could be more complicated than that, but NOTHING we're shown implies that Sarada's maternal parentage should be that vague) spoiler[Also, to be frankly blunt,
Sakura should be OFFENDED that people think anyone else might have given birth to her daughter. I mean, I'd expect that to bother her MUCH more than even the idea that Sasuke slept with other women. (which should ALSO bother her)]
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:53 pm Reply with quote
It makes sense to me because no one in the village saw Sakura pregnant--she was traveling with Sasuke during that time, and Sarada wasn't born in the village. I once heard a radio piece about South Korean adoptions, which mentioned that one of the reasons so many Korean orphans were adopted internationally was because adoption within Korea was so stigmatized, a woman who wanted to adopt would *pretend to be pregnant*, tell her friends and neighbors she was going somewhere else to give birth (say, back to her mother's hometown), and then come home with the adopted baby and tell everyone it was hers. I don't know how stigmatized adoption was/is in Japan, but if it's anything like that, people who have reason to suspect that Sarada isn't Sakura's biological child wouldn't see it outside the realm of possibility that Sakura was lying about it (especially if Sarada is the result of Sasuke's infidelity, even more reason to lie to avoid more stigma).
hatguy12

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
If you've read the parent manga, you know where the cord came from and why the show is being so vague about it, but most viewers are liable to think they missed something, due to the casual manner in which this information is presented.

Out of curiosity, is "parent manga" referring to Naruto manga, or the Boruto manga?

I haven't actually read either, but from the comments here I can guess what's going on.

Quote:
It's interesting that learning the truth about her parentage triggered Sarada's Sharingan awakening,

I haven't been fully watching all the episodes, but hasn't Sarada's Sharingan been awakened for at least a few episodes already? She at least had them when she met Sasuke, since that's why Sasuke thought she was an enemy at first. Unless that wasn't a real Sharingan awakening yet (I don't know if there's partial awakenings).

I thought there was some flashback that implied it awoken much earlier in her childhood just from her general abandonment feelings regarding her father, but I don't remember that clearly enough.
Marimo0

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:18 pm Reply with quote
hatguy12 wrote:
Quote:
If you've read the parent manga, you know where the cord came from and why the show is being so vague about it, but most viewers are liable to think they missed something, due to the casual manner in which this information is presented.

Out of curiosity, is "parent manga" referring to Naruto manga, or the Boruto manga?

I haven't actually read either, but from the comments here I can guess what's going on.

Quote:
It's interesting that learning the truth about her parentage triggered Sarada's Sharingan awakening,

I haven't been fully watching all the episodes, but hasn't Sarada's Sharingan been awakened for at least a few episodes already? She at least had them when she met Sasuke, since that's why Sasuke thought she was an enemy at first. Unless that wasn't a real Sharingan awakening yet (I don't know if there's partial awakenings).

I thought there was some flashback that implied it awoken much earlier in her childhood just from her general abandonment feelings regarding her father, but I don't remember that clearly enough.

This story wasn't in either the Naruto or Boruto manga. It was in a mini-series that was serialized between the other two serializations called Naruto Gaiden: The Seventh Hokage and the Scarlet Spring.

And Sarada only awakened it a couple episodes ago when she thought about meeting Sasuke, though one could still call it awakening since at both points she didn't intentionally activate it, it just happened as a reaction to strong emotions.

Quote:

spoiler[Maybe not bring this up, at least in this way? If you're bringing up the actual source material and questioning a mysterious plot point, then that could make them think more about it and if they hadn't already figured it out that spoils it for those who did fall for any misdirection about Karin being Sarada's mom.

It just brought up memories of when I saw promotional stuff before the seventh Harry Potter book came out that questioned if Snape was really evil, as if it was ambiguous at the end of the six book when the whole point of the direction was to make him seem unquestionably on the side of evil, which led to me figuring out he was good all along and spoiling the twist before the book came out.]
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:26 pm Reply with quote
hatguy12 wrote:
Quote:

The parent manga in this case is the prequel side story Masashi Kishimoto wrote in 2015 to promote the first Boruto movie, The Seventh Hokage and the Scarlet Spring.

hatguy12 wrote:
Amy McNulty wrote:

Yes, they confirmed that Sarada got her Sharingan as a very young child when Shizune discussed it with Sakura a few episodes back.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Here ends a great story arc. Smile

And now Boruto's coming back. Oh, joy. Rolling Eyes
Marimo0

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
or does she view it as some sort of keepsake?

Yes. It's just a traditional sort of thing in Japan.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:09 am Reply with quote
Karin was the de facto hospital, so in accordance to custom she kept it - although usually it's presented to the mother. There are many customs surrounding the collection and disposition of umbilical cords in Japan. One that's particularly interesting is burying the mother with the cords of all her offspring so that she can prove to Enma how many children she bore. They're also used in medicines when the child gets sick.

Though Sasuke couldn't be bothered to give her a hug or kiss before he left, I hope Sakura got some since he apparently spent the night. Smile
animalia555

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:39 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
hatguy12 wrote:
Quote:

The parent manga in this case is the prequel side story Masashi Kishimoto wrote in 2015 to promote the first Boruto movie, The Seventh Hokage and the Scarlet Spring.

hatguy12 wrote:
Amy McNulty wrote:

Yes, they confirmed that Sarada got her Sharingan as a very young child when Shizune discussed it with Sakura a few episodes back.

That never happened in the manga, and since this arc is an adaptation of a manga arc rather than an anime original I would take that fact as non canon

Agent355 wrote:
animalia555 wrote:
Maybe it's me But the impression I got from Sasuke, or at least the speech he gave after his and Naruto's final battle was concluded was less that he was incapable of love, and move that he had came to regard love as a weakness he couldn't afford. After that battle he has slowly opened back up. But even then Sasuke isn't really good with expressing his feelings.

I guess one thing that's help his and Sakura relationship make a weird sort of sense to me is the fact that emotions have their own weird sort of logic to them. What I mean by that is that emotions don't work in a coldly rational way but they do have their own internal consistency. I can try to set down this weird trail of emotional logic (and yes I am aware that that phrase is an oxymoron) of their relationship through part I & part II if you like. But I don't want to bother going into it if no one is interested in listening to it.

I'm interested! In Part I, Sakura was attracted to Sasuke, but she didn't know much about him as a person, and she turned him off with judgmental, ignorant views (classic example is when she insulted Naruto for being an orphan, seemingly not realizing that Sasuke was an orphan, too).
In Part II Sasuke was already gone, and Sakura (& Naruto) was obsessed with getting him back, no matter what. There might have been some subtle, underlying relationship building done, but the majority of Sakura's feelings seemed to be "crush morphed into obsession" to me, with nothing reciprocal on Sasuke's part.
You're right that emotions have their own logic, but that doesn't mean a relationship is healthy. In this case, Sarada seems to be taking the brunt of the emotional fallout, and Sakura's friends seem to be enabling it.
Gina Szanboti wrote:
So I wonder if Ichiraku Ramen brings back any fond memories for Naruto. I guess we'll never know.

/s

I want to know how Hinata managed to win an eating competition! Maybe she was pregnant at the time?
Only half the episode rehashed the OVA, the other half was new (to me, anyway), which was good. Boruto is so used to being tsundere towards his dad he can't even admit he's happy to go out to eat with him. What a teenager!

Sorry about being gone for so long. I was on the backup dite due to the hack. What you are talking about is VERY EARLY Part I Sakura. Remember when Sasuke told Sakura about how kids without any parents always grow up lonely, and that that he basically found her annoying for what she had just said? Well after that she reflects on what she said and resolves to be nicer to Naruto, BUT I believe this is also the start of a fundamental shift in the way she views Sasuke. There is a reason that when Sasuke is getting ready to leave at the end of part I she is willing to go with him if necessary it is no longer the shallow crush it was at the beginning of the series she has come to see him warts and all and doesn't want him to go off and be alone. That's Sakura in part I as for Sasuke...

I think a llot of Sasuke actions can be explained in this light Itachi is Sasuke's Iruka. What I mean by this is remember when Naruto was listening to Iruka and Mizuki talking about how Iruka's parents were killed by the fox inside Naruto? And Mizuki was like "admit it you hate him", aand how relieved Naruto was to learn that while Iruka may hate the fow he could NEVER hate the boy. The reason this meant so much to Naruto wasn't just because someone accepted him but because IRUKA accepted him. Naruto really looked up to him. Idare say he loved him. Now imagine what would have happened if the opposite had happened that Naruto had heard Iruka admit he DID hahte him. That's basically what happened to Sasuke. Sasuke's flashback shows that of all of his past relationships he was closest to his brother. He didn't just look up to him he LOVED him with all his heart. Which is why more than the massacre what devestated Sasuke was being told by Itachi that he had never loved him, and that the kindly big brother thing was just an act. THAT is what Sasuke couldn't take. As a result for a long tome this leaves Sasuke in a interesting emotional state both longing for human attachment and afraid of being hurt. That's why for a long time whenever anyone starts to get to close to him, he pushes them away. A sort of hurt them before they can hurt you mentally. Still while Sasuke is bad at expressing himself I don't think he's good at lying to himself (or others) either. His emotions may not be as wasy to read as Naruto's, but they are on display for anyone skilled enough to interpret them. (Hard work I assure you.) His seemingly cryptic Thank you to Sakura before he leaves Konoha is because he grateful for the offer which he believes is genuine, yet he refuses because he doesn't want to drag her down with him. If he believes these feelings are from Sakura (and Naruto) are real why doesn't he just stay in the village then. It isn't just because he thinks it's made him weak. It's because he's afraid he thought the feelings Itachi showed him were real and they turned out to be a lie (as far as he knows at this time) as a result Sasuke is afraid to trust his instincts on himan emotion and attachment.

Also while I am MOSTLY going to save part II for another post as I will have to reread it ad there are to many details for me go through by memory. I just want to say that as Itachi is the cause of all of his trauma it no coincidence that it is only AFTER he meets up with Itachi again after he has been Edo Tenseid that Sasuke starts to (admittedly slowly) start climbing his way back up the moral ladder.
Gatherum

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:44 am Reply with quote
Holy shitballs; a decently-animated fight with Sakura as a contender!

Didn't see that one coming.
GhostD

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Since theres only 1 more ep to mark the 24 count Im hoping that 25 would have a new opening/ending
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:54 pm Reply with quote
The "old fogeys" kinda had a point, in that without the impetus of war, a lot of tech/techniques would fall by the wayside simply through lack of use. Kind of like how there are only a couple master swordsmiths left in Japan who still know how to do it. Some such crafts have only one knowledgeable practitioner left. Without direct continuity, things get lost. Of course in the Narutoverse, there will always be a threat to keep the skills honed.

My biggest disappointment is poor Gaara's hairstyle. He's so socially inept, I picture him blithely sitting there while someone gives him a do they think is appropriate for a bureaucrat, without realizing how utterly dorky it makes him look.

I don't care for Naruto's hair either. It seems like only Sasuke managed to maintain a cool haircut. Smile (Shikamaru still looks good, but c'mon, he's got pineapple hair)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 31