• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Boruto: Naruto Next Generations

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:44 am Reply with quote
Quote:
As the Hidden Mist Village was the home of Boruto's father's first serious adversary,

I think you're referring to Zabuza? That was a different Village in the Land of Waves which is actually an island near/in the Land of Fire, heck I don't think we ever even saw Naruto go to the Hidden Mist Village.
Marakutanay

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:16 am Reply with quote
Snakebit1995 wrote:
Quote:
As the Hidden Mist Village was the home of Boruto's father's first serious adversary,

I think you're referring to Zabuza? That was a different Village in the Land of Waves which is actually an island near/in the Land of Fire, heck I don't think we ever even saw Naruto go to the Hidden Mist Village.

You are wrong. He and Haku fought Team 7 in the Land of Waves true, but Zabuza was a Mist ninja, one of the Seven Ninja Swordsmen of the Mist.
Pierrot.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Marakutanay wrote:
Snakebit1995 wrote:
Quote:

You are wrong. He and Haku fought Team 7 in the Land of Waves true, but Zabuza was a Mist ninja, one of the Seven Ninja Swordsmen of the Mist.

I don't think he said anything about Zabuza being from the Land of Waves.
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:42 pm Reply with quote
I like the kid friendly way they are handling the very mature message of this arc: the delicate balance between honoring the past and building diplomatic bridges in the present between countries who once fought one another in war. Iwabe's grudge being based on his father's inability to forgive the nation his grandfather fought and was killed by is very realistic. Grudges are nurtured for generations. There are still Americans today who refuse to buy German or Japanese cars because of WWII. It hit very close to home for me, and it's unfortunately a message that's as timely and relevant as conflict itself.

Kagura's expression after defeating Boruto read to me as if he was trying to push back a consuming force to fight. Is he afraid of being consumed by his sword or rage?
Animechic420

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:40 pm Reply with quote
I couldn't help, but notice the running theme with the people around Boruro and how they think their family members define who they are. Boruto always says lines like, "That's got nothing to do with you." Or, "You're your own person." How is it that Boruto is constantly meeting these people who coincidentally having identity crises? Confused
RoamFree

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:25 am Reply with quote
I really enjoyed the Shinobi Bout scene. Very quiet and calming before the next episode, and as their playing and conversing, you can see how Kagura is able to get past his self-doubt amongst his new friends.
Felcis

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:06 pm Reply with quote
I really liked this episode.
That fight scene was nothing special but the cardgame was really effective in terms of building characters and the world.
Nothing super original but very well done overall.
trilaan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:44 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoyed this week's "boring" episode of Boruto(it wasnt boring, just a bit low-key). The rescue of Denki played out just as I would have expected, giving everyone on Team Konoha a chance to shine a little. The card game was very nice, showing some well-done friendship-building and displaying a bit of the "Like Father, like Son" personality of Boruto(which, of course, he wont admit but the new OP makes it look like he'll be warming up to the idea). The Shino/Anko/Mei meeting looks to be settting up some good stuff and the ending scene is intriguing, perhaps indicating that Shizuma may be related to a certain Akatsuki member. I hope so. Also there were two people with Shizuma and I'd be willing to lay odds that it was the other guy who was "grievously wounded" instead of Hachiya(common with this sort of villain/underling "You disappoint me." scene.). Anyway, it was a solid episode, I'd give it a B+.
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Loved episodes 27 & 28 and how they are continuing the reformation after war theme. Although, when you get a bunch of ninja kids together, their conversation should be like:
Kagura: "I'm ashamed because my grandfather was a war criminal"
Boruto: "So what? All our grandparents were war criminals! That doesn't mean you have to be a war criminal"
Kagura: "But when I use swords, I get consumed by an uncontrollable rage and start injuring my allies"
Boruto: "...you should really get that checked out. My dad has a weapon of mass destruction inside him, but he learned some chakra control techniques. It's not such a big deal."
Animechic420

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Boruto: "...you should really get that checked out. My dad has a weapon of mass destruction inside him, but he learned some chakra control techniques. It's not such a big deal."

Does Boruto even know about Kurama? Confused Laughing
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:24 am Reply with quote
Seems like this soon after wrapping Naruto, Kishimoto could've come up with a better name for Kagura that wasn't so close to Kaguya. But I guess same(ish) name is almost as common in anime as same face.
kgw

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:28 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Seems like this soon after wrapping Naruto, Kishimoto could've come up with a better name for Kagura that wasn't so close to Kaguya. But I guess same(ish) name is almost as common in anime as same face.

I think the idea was calling him something similar to his grandad Yagura.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:34 am Reply with quote
Ep 29 had some great moments:
--Boruto pulling the "diplomatic incident" card to get what he wants;
--Suigetsu!
--Mitsuki's interactions with Suigetsu! Made me think that Mitsuki might think of Suigetsu as an uncle or even parent figure (or at least older brother), the way he kept asking him "do you really not like Shizuma?" So innocently. Suigetsu himself has really chilled out since his Sasuke's Hawk days. He looked positively suave jokingly threatening the kids like it's no sweat. I'm kind of hoping he joins the fight!

I'm really hoping Chujiro is playing a feint to get more info from the rebellious kids. I thought it might be a shadow clone, but it would have to be a really good shadow clone to stay solid after starting to bleed. In any case, he should break out and fight them for real once he's heard enough of their demands. If they actually managed to capture him...well, that's major points off for the show, but I'm not too worried. One theme of this show has been how much more skilled the adults are, and how far the kids still have to go.
Not really looking forward to Sarada vs. Filler Villain next week, so I hope this arc doesn't stretch out too long. We really don't need separate episodes for Shikadai, Inojin, Mitsuki et al all fighting their own filler villains.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:29 am Reply with quote
This is feeling more and more like a metaphor for the controversies around the Yasukuni Shrine memorializing Japanese war dead, including convicted war criminals. I'm interested to see how it will play out.
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
This is feeling more and more like a metaphor for the controversies around the Yasukuni Shrine memorializing Japanese war dead, including convicted war criminals. I'm interested to see how it will play out.

Exactly! I've been saying this whole arc is teaching kids about the very real-life challenge of dealing with a culture's war history, which Japan knows a whole lot about. I might go so far as to suggest that Shizuma and co represent a right-wing faction that supports changing Japan's constitution to empower the military, but that might be a comparison too far (as far as I know, there are no violent right wing factions in Japan today).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 31