• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Boruto: Naruto Next Generations

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ethe

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:38 pm Reply with quote
"Good parent or bad, there isn't a single one who doesn't love their child."

Was that really the message they were going for in episode 30? 'Cause that's a load of bull.

At least the fight was good.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Does Buton's claim that Naruto killed Raiga officially canonize the Kurosuki Family arc? (I regard all the filler arcs and movies as anime canon, but this doesn't seem to represent the majority opinion.)
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:57 pm Reply with quote
JaggedAuthor wrote:
Does Buton's claim that Naruto killed Raiga officially canonize the Kurosuki Family arc? (I regard all the filler arcs and movies as anime canon, but this doesn't seem to represent the majority opinion.)

No, because Baruto (the series) as a whole is not canon. For it to be canon, these episodes would have to be directly based on a work written by the mangaka. They're not.
Pierrot.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:37 am Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
JaggedAuthor wrote:

No, because Baruto (the series) as a whole is not canon. For it to be canon, these episodes would have to be directly based on a work written by the mangaka. They're not.

Boruto series as a whole is absolutely canon. Ukyo Kodachi has already stated it before that Kishimoto is heavily involved in the series so it doesn't matter if it's directly adapted from a source material or not.

Here's his tweet and translation.
https://twitter.com/u_kodachi/status/869703287884308480

"Boruto has been written with Kishimoto-san meticulously (truly meticulously) checking over it. Episodes 8/9 were originally one episode, but Kishimoto was saying things like, "let's expand here because this is interesting," "more of that," and, "let's give it a theme like this." As a result of the excitement between myself and Kishimoto-san, I wound up working very hard on Miwa's screenplay."
casenumber00

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:09 am Reply with quote
For a show called Boruto, the title character has been taken a back seat to others, especially Sarada, an Uchiha. This is perhaps for the best, Boruto is a flat character who hasn't grown at all during these 30 some odd episodes. The worst thing is he acts like a total ass with pranks and such, like Naruto use to do to get attention, but is the best about preaching about friends and family. Someone who goes out of his way for others clearly has a strong sense of empathy but, fro some reason, cant grasp the grand reason why his dad is so busy.
animalia555

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:37 am Reply with quote
casenumber00 wrote:
For a show called Boruto, the title character has been taken a back seat to others, especially Sarada, an Uchiha. This is perhaps for the best, Boruto is a flat character who hasn't grown at all during these 30 some odd episodes. The worst thing is he acts like a total ass with pranks and such, like Naruto use to do to get attention, but is the best about preaching about friends and family. Someone who goes out of his way for others clearly has a strong sense of empathy but, fro some reason, cant grasp the grand reason why his dad is so busy.
You are going to have to wait until the movie arc get's adapted for that to happen
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:11 pm Reply with quote
JaggedAuthor wrote:

definitely looks like it considering that the series itself IS canon. though its still a prequel to the manga which is a long way out before it can actually catch up to the manga.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:14 am Reply with quote
Quote:
He also tries to subtly manipulate Boruto, his own friend, into being dishonest—cheating at Shinobi Bout and not being honest with Himawari.

I'm not sure I'd characterize what he was doing as being subtly manipulative. I think Mitsuki is using Boruto as a learning tool to how people should behave (because lord knows Orochimaru isn't much of a guide). When he told him about the reflection, he was just trying to help his friend win by the most expedient means, not seeing the problem with cheating to do so. He's genuinely intrigued that Boruto didn't take the path of least resistance and do what gained him the most in both circumstances, which seems illogical to him because he doesn't understand what Boruto gets out of the options he chooses. But he's also bemused at Boruto's counter-intuitive (to Mitsuki) choices in these matters, and you can be sure he's thinking about it all after they part company.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:19 am Reply with quote
^ And contrast how Boruto acted (and the results) to what Orochimaru was attempting to do and *his* results.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Is there an actual Shinobi Bout game that they're trying to promote? Ever since the game's introduction, it's been mentioned at least once or twice an episode. Plus, the crusty old shopkeeper having an interest in it seemed like a bit of a stretch, even for a humor-focused episode.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:13 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Quote:
He also tries to subtly manipulate Boruto, his own friend, into being dishonest—cheating at Shinobi Bout and not being honest with Himawari.

I'm not sure I'd characterize what he was doing as being subtly manipulative. I think Mitsuki is using Boruto as a learning tool to how people should behave (because lord knows Orochimaru isn't much of a guide). When he told him about the reflection, he was just trying to help his friend win by the most expedient means, not seeing the problem with cheating to do so. He's genuinely intrigued that Boruto didn't take the path of least resistance and do what gained him the most in both circumstances, which seems illogical to him because he doesn't understand what Boruto gets out of the options he chooses. But he's also bemused at Boruto's counter-intuitive (to Mitsuki) choices in these matters, and you can be sure he's thinking about it all after they part company.

and its cause of these scenes have me concerned that the main three will end up having the same toxic relationship like the "original three way deadlock"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:25 pm Reply with quote
I'm also unclear on the kids' ages. It seemed like Naruto started school somewhere between the ages of five and seven, but Boruto appears to be eleven or twelve. Since the new opening shows the main trio wearing forehead protectors, I figured graduation was coming up.
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:27 pm Reply with quote
JaggedAuthor wrote:
I'm also unclear on the kids' ages. It seemed like Naruto started school somewhere between the ages of five and seven, but Boruto appears to be eleven or twelve. Since the new opening shows the main trio wearing forehead protectors, I figured graduation was coming up.

In the movie they're 12 so they should all be around that in the series now. I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't a birthday episode coming up. Himawari is two years younger than Boruto which places her probably nearing 10. The anime seems to keep her personality more immature than it probably should be, but that doesn't change her age.

I think there's some regular school that kids go to and then around the middle school age they enter the ninja academy. Maybe with them being at peace they can cut it down to a single year?

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:01 am Reply with quote
What will happen to Ino's family jutsu if her only child barely practices it?! This is why these ninja families need more kids. It doesn't make sense to have a bunch of only children in a ninja village, when you're probably gonna lose a kid or 2 per class in those not-supposed-to-be dangerous genin missions.

Inojin's disappointing jutsu choices and parents' lack of procreation aside, I love these mostly well adjusted and happy ninja kids and their adorable stories. This episode was cute and fun!
Animechic420

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:10 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
JaggedAuthor wrote:

In the movie they're 12 so they should all be around that in the series now. I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't a birthday episode coming up. Himawari is two years younger than Boruto which places her probably nearing 10. The anime seems to keep her personality more immature than it probably should be, but that doesn't change her age.

I think there's some regular school that kids go to and then around the middle school age they enter the ninja academy. Maybe with them being at peace they can cut it down to a single year?

Emerje

It could be my imagination, but Himawari's voice sounded a little different in this episode. A tad bit older from the way I've heard her before. Maybe they have been aging and we just hadn't noticed it.

Well, whatever the case, I'm glad graduation is coming up quickly for Boruto and the gang. The sooner he drops that stink ass attitude of his the better.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 31