• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Boruto: Naruto Next Generations

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Quote:
Ryogi being reminded of his role in Gekko's grand scheme through looking at the “pawn” piece from Shikadai's shogi board is too on-the-nose.

If you're talking about the scene at the end, I think the point was that in shogi, a pawn can be promoted to genral. That's not to say the metaphor wasn't force-feeding us though.

and after seeing that analogy, it shouldn't surprised anyone that ryogi got hard time behind bars!

Pierrot. wrote:

Nowhere was it stated that this was supposed to be something like the land of waves arc and can you stop with the "filler" nonsense? The anime is canon and they've gone even the lengths to post a timeline to show the chronological order of the novels, anime and manga

uhh yea. unfortunately that would be the case if the author himself had said that about the TV series as a whole. however the only thing he had said both on public and on his twitter page is the boruto movie as well as retelling of the chunin exams for the TV series are canon.

have yet to hear anything about the byakuya gang arc being that let alone any of the other arcs! (excluding the nue arc since both Ukyo Kodachi & Mikio Ikemoto on their pages stated that the arc is canon , especially when it comes boruto's relationship with both the nue and sumire since they will have parts later on in the series!

so you really cant blame the most die hard naruto fans not buying it since the author haven't said much on the series after the boruto movie came out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Pierrot.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:51 am Reply with quote
^ You're naive if you think the author will come out and specify which arc or episode is canon or not. In fact Kodachi doesn't even know what 'canon' means when some guy asked him on twiiter. You also should keep in mind the director also has a lot of input in the story along with Kodachi like the recent team 15 episode or extending the upcoming chunin exam arc to include the other otsutsuki clan member.
Quote:
have yet to hear anything about the byakuya gang arc being that let alone any of the other arcs!

The school trip arc was referenced in the manga.
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Pierrot. wrote:
^ You're naive if you think the author will come out and specify which arc or episode is canon or not. In fact Kodachi doesn't even know what 'canon' means when some guy asked him on twiiter. You also should keep in mind the director also has a lot of input in the story along with Kodachi like the recent team 15 episode or extending the upcoming chunin exam arc to include the other otsutsuki clan member.
Quote:
have yet to hear anything about the byakuya gang arc being that let alone any of the other arcs!

As was Sumire and her story, that happened in a light novel that's considered canon.
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Snakebit1995 wrote:
Pierrot. wrote:
Quote:

As was Sumire and her story, that happened in a light novel that's considered canon.

well that may be true about the nue arc and the school trip arc which i have know already is considered canon since they have pretty much stated that in their twitter accounts (even though it wasnt said right out loud that lead to newbies on other forums wondering about that)

but the byakuya gang arc is another story. there have been zero mentions on that.

regardless, giving that flashback ep a D is kinda harsh. A C+ or C- yes, but not a D!

i mean we all expect it since this is a long running shonen jump type series after all and just as how we expect these type of series to have the MC male to be stubborn as a mountain while having and idiot like personality and the female MC to be a massive tsundere (excluding bleach & tokyo ghoul), this type of episode was pretty much going to happen without fail!

sure its stale, but it definitely had its good points. and do anyone believe that there might be a possibility that there is something going on between hanabi and konahamaru?? cause this ep definitely shows that might be the case!

and would be a terrifying concept for boruto if that actually happens!! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:47 pm Reply with quote
The only thing of value in this episode was learning why Shino doesn't drink (unless even that has been revealed before and I forgot), something you'd think he'd mention in the same sentence as his disclaimer.

Clip/recap shows may be inevitable, but I think by now we've seen enough done creatively to warrant harsher judgment on those that don't even try.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:19 am Reply with quote

Not a bad episode, but the whole time they were deep in the mine I kept wondering where the light was coming from, since they didn't bring flashlights or torches. At least the robbers had lanterns, sometimes.

Why did Naruto stop sending his clone home when he couldn't go? When you can literally be in two or more places at once, and have all the memories when you recombine, why wouldn't you do that? Had that been kind of the norm from when he was a toddler, without trying to trick him into thinking the clone was the original, I don't think Boruto would've become so bitter about it.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

Not a bad episode, but the whole time they were deep in the mine I kept wondering where the light was coming from, since they didn't bring flashlights or torches. At least the robbers had lanterns, sometimes.

Why did Naruto stop sending his clone home when he couldn't go? When you can literally be in two or more places at once, and have all the memories when you recombine, why wouldn't you do that? Had that been kind of the norm from when he was a toddler, without trying to trick him into thinking the clone was the original, I don't think Boruto would've become so bitter about it.

Because Boruto doesn't want the clone. He wants the original Naruto.
SaitoHajime101

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

Sending a fake is just as bad, if not worse, than not showing up at all. The idea is that if you have time to think about the family, create a shadow clone, and send them off to do a task, you could easily leave the clone in the Hokage seat and go home.

The fact that Naruto doesn't have a clone do his work while he spends time with his family is evening more confusing.

I'm glad it was mentioned in the review about the 10 year time frame. I was confused on that as well from a biological standpoint. The only thing that would make sense here is he was mentioning the events from Naruto the Last Movie, not his final fight with Kaguya herself, being as the events in Naruto the Last deal with the Otsutsuki clan.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Animechic420 wrote:

I know that. The question is why? There's no difference between Naruto and his clones, other than the clones go poof when they take a hit. They hold all his knowledge up to the point where they were cloned, and anything they experience Naruto experiences once they vanish. If he were sending in clones that were entirely separate existences, then that would be different because the original would be missing out on everything at home.

The reason to send a clone home rather than stay at the office is because if some emergency came up, and battle ensued, the clone would likely get poofed and Naruto would not be on the scene. That's unlikely to happen at home, and the consequences aren't dire if an accident poofs the clone there.

If this had always been an open SOP for as long as Boruto could remember, it wouldn't be such a big deal now, because he would've learned long ago that the clone isn't different from the original. But iirc, when Naruto did send clones in his place, he tried to keep it a secret, which felt like a betrayal once the deception was discovered. I can't blame Boruto for being pissed off at that.

I also don't understand why Naruto doesn't employ his clones more often to keep the paperwork under control. That too seems like a no-brainer. I think we've seen him do it, but only as a last of the last resorts.

The problem is they made cloning too super-powered with that bit about combining experiences. With no limiter on it (since he has almost unlimited chakra), there's no rational reason for not using it more than he does.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Animechic420 wrote:

I know that. The question is why? There's no difference between Naruto and his clones, other than the clones go poof when they take a hit. They hold all his knowledge up to the point where they were cloned, and anything they experience Naruto experiences once they vanish. If he were sending in clones that were entirely separate existences, then that would be different because the original would be missing out on everything at home.

The reason to send a clone home rather than stay at the office is because if some emergency came up, and battle ensued, the clone would likely get poofed and Naruto would not be on the scene. That's unlikely to happen at home, and the consequences aren't dire if an accident poofs the clone there.

If this had always been an open SOP for as long as Boruto could remember, it wouldn't be such a big deal now, because he would've learned long ago that the clone isn't different from the original. But iirc, when Naruto did send clones in his place, he tried to keep it a secret, which felt like a betrayal once the deception was discovered. I can't blame Boruto for being pissed off at that.

I also don't understand why Naruto doesn't employ his clones more often to keep the paperwork under control. That too seems like a no-brainer. I think we've seen him do it, but only as a last of the last resorts.

The problem is they made cloning too super-powered with that bit about combining experiences. With no limiter on it (since he has almost unlimited chakra), there's no rational reason for not using it more than he does.

The bottom line is that Boruto would rather Naruto not be Hokage. Naruto not being Hokage means he won’t late for anything. Boruto basically wants Naruto to stop being responsible for the village and just come home when he wants him to.
Pierrot.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:18 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Adding to the confusion is Naruto's claim that the fight with Kaguya took place ten years prior to the present day, which is a virtual impossibility unless he and Hinata conceived Boruto in their teens or Boruto is considerably younger than he appears.

This was a mistranslation by Cr. Naruto said it's been more than 10 years since the Kaguya fight.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:00 am Reply with quote
but that is in the movie, and even the manga haven't stated on how long its been!
Pierrot.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:07 am Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
but that is in the movie, and even the manga haven't stated on how long its been!

I'm talking about this episode. Crunchyroll didn't translate what Naruto said properly.
jimmyg

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:16 pm Reply with quote
In the original openings the music was upbeat and new/recent. The animation is crisp and clear. The angles and creativity of the scenes are new and varying. The color scheme pops out more with vibrant colors and dazzling effects. There is more action and style. The movement between characters, the environment and the different scenes is fluid. The opening focuses on more than on just Boruto, it focuses on everyone in the class and other ninja. The other openings also have a message to say or a meaningful portion of the story to portray.

On the contrary, the third opening has few or none of these characteristics. The quality of the drawings look grainy, as if one were watching it in 480p. The song is enjoyable but doesn’t feel like it belongs with this show at this point in time. The transition of the scenes and the use of movement/motion seem lazy. Overall this seems like a washout version of Naruto/Naruto Shippuden.

Thank you Masashi Kishimoto for creating a great universe, and thank you Boruto: Naruto Next Generation team for raising the bar and establishing such high standards. You have defined a new generation of animation and storytelling. I hope the Boruto team goes back to the way they were doing the show/ openings/ endings because they did such a great job so far and were a really big improvement on the direction of the series (the 3rd ending was good).

Given my opinion, the next generation of things should always be better than its predecessor, otherwise how else do we improve?
jimmyg

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:30 pm Reply with quote
The reason why I fell in love with the earlier episodes of Boruto was because they did not skimp around on the animation, they brought thought into their scenes, breathed new life into the story and made the characters feel real. With this episode they did none of that. I would have rather the team postponed the episode to continue with production quality. I hope they do the chunnin exams like the other 51 episodes.

The style of the show drastically changed as if it went back in time. The drawings/animations were poor, the fighting was old, simple and did not have good animated action scenes, and the dialogue contradicted itself. There were many things wrong with this episode and I typed most of them out, if you like to go through them all they are below.

These are points about the show that I typed up as I was re-watching it. SPOILERS below if you havn't watched this episode.

Boruto doesn’t really do a recap of what happened on the previous episodes. They did that here to save money and time, which I think was lazy.

The episode mainly uses effects around the characters to depict “speed” instead of animating the characters themselves (namely the White Zetsu).

The characters’ attacks (again mainly the Zetsu’s attacks) in this episode are repetitive and thoughtless. As Konahamaru blocks you can see that the monster is only aiming at one spot instead of attacking at different angles. This looks unrealistic.

The characters narrate the scene and don’t allow the scene to speak for itself, not like the other action scenes in this series.

The monster only goes after Konahamaru unless provoked by another attacker (really just Boruto). This pokes wholes in Sarada’s theory later on.

The weapons effectiveness is inconsistent. Why did a regular kunai work when others (like Boruto’s lightning kunai) didn’t?

The special ninja tech was just a flash bomb. (How did it not affect Konahamaru?)

The monster just runs away.

The points of view are boring and flat for a lot of the scenes (most of the scenes are side views of the characters).

If this (White Zetsu/ Otsutsuki clan) was supposed to be so Top Secret why did Konahamaru let Genin know about it? Even if it was a part of the mission, he should have reported it to the Hokage immediately without going into the cave.

There has never been 3d animation in Boruto, it was out of character (useless) to use it now.

I like how Mitsuki knows about this because of Orochimaru (that was pretty cool/funny).

The time scale is busted. Is it 10 years or 15 years since the war?

It doesn’t make a lot of sense to have Sarada refute Boruto’s decision of pursing the investigation and then agree with him. It kind of makes sense for the Genin to report what they find to the village while Konahamaru keeps the area under control (not venturing by himself). It kind of also makes sense for the Genin to accompany and assist Konohamaru with the investigation. It certainly does not make sense for Konohamaru to go in alone when earlier he said “we should assume there are others” and he could barely handle one. The dialogue in this episode wasn’t up to par with the established personas and logic.

How did they know where the monster was at after it ran away?

The team work was translucent and nothing special.

Each person used one technique and Konahamaru defeated the enemy with a single rasengan. In the animation there was no way of knowing how the monster was going to attack first. Sarada had to point it out. This is not the style that Boruto has used to depict fighting or even foreshadowing. In previous episodes the production team let the scene speak for itself and let the audience see what happens rather than explain before action takes place. The characters just mindlessly cancel the attacks with little/poor animation. Dialogue is used to beef up the characters’ intelligence and moves instead of showing how good their intellect and skills are with results and action.

There are way too many flashbacks, especially of ones in the same episode.

In the anime Naruto Shippuden anime Zetsu couldn’t absorb chakra just by touch (only in the manga this was possible), he had to absorb it through his mouth. This is in consistent because Boruto claims that his chakra was being sucked out and the monster was not doing anything special to absorb it.

The animation was long and weird when Konahamaru uses rasengan to evaporate the monster.

I like the idea that there were White Zetsu which were left behind.

That adds a lot to the story and can act as a bridge for the old and the new with an interesting twist.

I like the purple embers effect they put on the black flames, but it didn’t make much sense to fill the room with yellow lighting. Since the flames are giving off purple embers doesn’t that mean that the main light source emits purple light?!

They under power the other characters just to build up Sasuske.

“I guess I have no choice since you’ve seen this much” is what Konahamaru says when he tells his team Top Secret details about another mission. He does have a choice, he doesn’t have to explain anything because it’s Top Secret and they are only Genin.

When the other leaf ninja show up there is no feeling of realism. They just stand there not moving or even talking with each other and they are all “generic” ninjas.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 15 of 31