• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Boruto: Naruto Next Generations

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SailorNaruto

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:58 pm Reply with quote
I had to put Boruto on a indefinite hiatus because it had got so freaking boring. Ironic how I spent so much time defending it from people who dropped it, saying sh*t like "they're at peace!" Or "this isn't Naruto!" just to end up dropping it myself. But since they're finally about to adapt the movie, I suppose that's the cue to start watching again

Please let me get some added NaruHina goodness that wasn't present in the movie
SaitoHajime101

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:02 pm Reply with quote
What I liked about this episode was Toneri and his dialogue. I don't recall there ever being any references or connections to The Last Naruto Movie up until now. Aside from Naruto and Hinata being together, it felt like the events in that movie never happened, yet we finally get that connection. I'm also looking forward to the show expanding on the Otsutsuki clan as it always appeared there was way more going on, on the moon, than originally shown.
Whomst

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:04 am Reply with quote
Reviewer seems unaware that the /top-shelf visuals and animation/ are literally just copy pasted from the movie lol
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:42 pm Reply with quote
SaitoHajime101 wrote:
What I liked about this episode was Toneri and his dialogue. I don't recall there ever being any references or connections to The Last Naruto Movie up until now. Aside from Naruto and Hinata being together, it felt like the events in that movie never happened, yet we finally get that connection. I'm also looking forward to the show expanding on the Otsutsuki clan as it always appeared there was way more going on, on the moon, than originally shown.

the fact that this little info wasn't shown in the manga makes you wonder about if this have any connection with the aftermath of vol 3!

wouldnt surprise me if it did!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 6:02 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure using the device is "technically" against the rules. I don't think Boruto would use it if there were a specific rule against non-jutsu tech (which there isn't yet, since it hasn't existed previously). Given the vast array of weapons and such that people can summon, it doesn't strike me as being that much different in function. It feels more like past "cheating is not allowed in this exam" when successful candidates were expected to cheat, if not almost required to.

But of course it does violate the spirit of the exams, so naturally there will be consequences.
ZiharkXVI

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I'm not sure using the device is "technically" against the rules. I don't think Boruto would use it if there were a specific rule against non-jutsu tech (which there isn't yet, since it hasn't existed previously). Given the vast array of weapons and such that people can summon, it doesn't strike me as being that much different in function. It feels more like past "cheating is not allowed in this exam" when successful candidates were expected to cheat, if not almost required to.

But of course it does violate the spirit of the exams, so naturally there will be consequences.

Does it violate the spirit? I still just don't understand the underlying conflict here except in the sense that the device is so easy to use that Boruto winning with it is not suggesting he is a great ninja. It's obviously more impressive when it is due to the ninja's own inner strength in the open, but if we look back to history here...there should be no moral outrage. In fact, the best outcome would be for Boruto to "cheat" like this and get away with it! As long as a ninja is successful and walks away with the secret of how he accomplished it, that is the ultimate goal. The whole point of the written exam was to cheat and not get caught. The question shouldn't be, "will Boruto cheat?", but "how good is Boruto at cheating?" Sasuke approves!

So color me very confused throughout this Boruto story arc. I was thinking he needs to get creative with those things and mix it up. Maybe help develop potent combos.
Marimo0

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 4:45 pm Reply with quote
ZiharkXVI wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:

Does it violate the spirit? I still just don't understand the underlying conflict here except in the sense that the device is so easy to use that Boruto winning with it is not suggesting he is a great ninja. It's obviously more impressive when it is due to the ninja's own inner strength in the open, but if we look back to history here...there should be no moral outrage. In fact, the best outcome would be for Boruto to "cheat" like this and get away with it! As long as a ninja is successful and walks away with the secret of how he accomplished it, that is the ultimate goal. The whole point of the written exam was to cheat and not get caught. The question shouldn't be, "will Boruto cheat?", but "how good is Boruto at cheating?" Sasuke approves!

So color me very confused throughout this Boruto story arc. I was thinking he needs to get creative with those things and mix it up. Maybe help develop potent combos.

It's brought up in the manga that the point of the exams is to test their own actual skills. The ninja tech is probably considered to be as being too different and not enough of an indicator of his own skills. I don't think in this case "cheating without getting caught" is as acceptable like it would be in the past. Times change, as do the specifics of how they do the tests. After all, they were fine with the genin killing each other during the past exams too, but that's likely no longer allowed.
db999

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 5:47 pm Reply with quote
I think the reason why using the device is seen as so disgraceful is that this is an exam, and an exam is supposed to test the skills of the participants. The device seems to allows anyone using it to use skills they don't know how to fully use with little no effort on their part. That isn't to say that the device should be banned outside of the exam. In fact, I think the sole reason why Naruto didn't ok the use of the device was because Katasuke specifically wanted to do it during the exam. I also think the reason why this cheating is seen as bad when the cheating in the previous series isn't, is that in Naruto they were using their own skills to cheat. The purpose of having them cheat and not get caught was for them to use their own skills so it was still testing their knowledge and technique. While they cheated they were actually using their own skills, which Boruto clearly isn't.
Marimo0

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 5:54 pm Reply with quote
db999 wrote:
I think the reason why using the device is seen as so disgraceful is that this is an exam, and an exam is supposed to test the skills of the participants. The device seems to allows anyone using it to use skills they don't know how to fully use with little no effort on their part. That isn't to say that the device should be banned outside of the exam. In fact, I think the sole reason why Naruto didn't ok the use of the device was because Katasuke specifically wanted to do it during the exam. I also think the reason why this cheating is seen as bad when the cheating in the previous series isn't, is that in Naruto they were using their own skills to cheat. The purpose of having them cheat and not get caught was for them to use their own skills so it was still testing their knowledge and technique. While they cheated they were actually using their own skills, which Boruto clearly isn't.

Plus cheating was only encouraged during one portion of the exam, Ibiki's, when the instructions given were that you would be expelled after being caught cheating several times instead of just after the first time. With the addition of the test just being a ruse, the whole thing was more of a test about critical thinking skills and nerves. During Anko's test, if you tried cheating by looking at the scroll in order to make a second one, you'd be knocked out of the exam.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 7:08 pm Reply with quote
But in Anko's test, again it would be getting caught that got you expelled. If you could suss out a way to peek without getting caught, no problem. Smile

But that's what I meant about it violating the spirit of the exam, i.e., to test your own powers. In function though, it still doesn't seem any different from any other summoned weapon to me. The user still has to use it creatively and effectively.
Marimo0

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
But in Anko's test, again it would be getting caught that got you expelled. If you could suss out a way to peek without getting caught, no problem. Smile

But that's what I meant about it violating the spirit of the exam, i.e., to test your own powers. In function though, it still doesn't seem any different from any other summoned weapon to me. The user still has to use it creatively and effectively.

Of course there's no problem if you can get away with it without anyone knowing it. Because no one in power would know to punish you. That's just basic logic that even applies to any test in the real world, but that doesn't mean they wanted them to try cheating in every stage. Ibuki's was the only one because he intentionally gave them room to cheat (and each exam is thought up by each individual proctor).

And the weapon seems to suggest the opposite. You don't train with it like you would with Inojin improving his drawing ability or Araya's sword skills, you just load up a jutsu and fire it. This is pretty much represented with how Boruto, instead of trying to improve his own Rasengan that he previously worked hard on, just uses the gauntlet to create a bigger one. It's why Sasuke makes note of his clothes, because it represents whether he actually is working hard still (dirtied clothes, small Rasengan) or is just relying on tech and not improving on what he could do on his own (clean clothes, gauntlet-made Rasengan). And while the tech would still be valuable for actual missions, in the case of the Chunin Exams Naruto would want to make sure that the ones who pass are ones who develop their own skills rather, which is why he banned it.
db999

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 4:54 pm Reply with quote
I think this is probably the biggest change from the original story we've had so far. If I'm remembering correctly it looks like the end of the tournament is going to be mostly anime original because, correct me if I'm wrong, in the movie Boruto's cheating gets found out by Naruto after the fight with Shikadai. spoiler[and then the tournament ends abruptly because Naruto gets kidnapped directly after disqualifying Boruto.] Also, I thought the Cho-Cho vs Shinki fight was a lot better than Boruto and Shikadai's, or maybe I'm just biased because Cho-Cho is my favorite of the new generation, because she has the most distinct personality. I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of the exam.
Pierrot.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:15 am Reply with quote
With this arc, I'd put Boruto a league above than the usual shonen series. Never have I seen a shonen protagonist, besides arguably Light from Death Note, hit the lowest point of his character like this. The best part will be to see how he'll come back after being exposed as a cheater and regain the trust of each of his friends.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:54 pm Reply with quote

Maybe they should stop holding Chunin exams. Every time they do, some villain decides it's the perfect time to attack the village.

On the bright side for Boruto, he couldn't ask for a better distraction to get him out of this public mess. I mean, not that he's off the hook, but haven't you ever been given a public dressing down and just wished aliens or Godzilla would attack at that moment? You know, to give the person berating you time to cool off, and resume in private if they still feel like it once the crisis is over. Very Happy
Shiggity

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:38 am Reply with quote
I dunno about you guys, but I refuse to believe Naruto is dead after bearing that huge beast bomb attack. There's no way to defeat the enemy without him and/or Sasuke. They did it once (at the end of Shippuden) and they can do it again... I guess we'll have to see what happens.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 16 of 31