• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Boruto: Naruto Next Generations

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:24 pm Reply with quote
rizuchan wrote:
I really liked where this arc was going in the beginning (or at least, where I thought it was going) but I just can't get over how sloppy the writing was. Amy covered my beef with the "plot" of the TV show in the last couple weeks, but even that aside, the kidnapping scheme still left me with more questions than answers. Why exactly did this death threat turn into a kidnapping? Just because death threats stopped getting Ashina the attention she wanted? (Except they did, because they even hired ninja this time??) But then why was Tomaru getting threats if Ashina wanted the spotlight? Why was Ashina leaving the show in the first place? Amy suggested it was because they were killing off her character, but I was under the impression they were killing her character off because she was leaving. Do you really need to bring the entire film crew to a hostage negotiation? And I still don't get what Tomaru's intentions were with Cho-Cho. Did he really like Skinny!Cho-Cho or was he just screwing with her? The whole plot was just a confusing mess.

Also, the fact that everyone, except Cho-cho, seemed perfectly content with letting Tomaru fall down cliffs and potentially get crushed multiple times. You know, the guy they were hired to protect. Rolling Eyes

But most importantly, the message immediately fell flat for me in that Tomaru flat out tells Cho-Cho "no fatties", and instead of realizing that he's a shallow jerk (or, at the very least, likes a kind of girl that Cho-Cho can never be) she's more like, "Oh, he just doesn't like fat girls. That hurts because I'm fat, but otherwise I don't see a problem with that. I'll just pretend to be skinny forever!" Which seemed super out of character. Especially since the show clearly wants to make Tomaru look like a slimeball from that point (see: letting him nearly get crushed while acting cowardly), but Cho-Cho herself never seems to figure that out.

I totally agree with Amy that it was "a lesson Cho-Cho didn't need to learn."

I agree that the plot of the show made no sense (if Tomaru's character was truly in love with Ashina's character, why would he kiss Cho Cho's character?) But the on the other plot points: Early on, Ashina told Sarada that she was leaving the show (presumably of her own accord) and moving to the next phase of her career. But the longer we spent time with her, it seemed to me that she took her part and the production more seriously than Tomaru did, but her character was being killed off unceremoniously--they were forcing her to leave so Tomaru could get another romantic interest, she implied to Sarada that she was leaving of her own accord to save face, and she was especially resentful because she considered herself a serious actress and considered Tomaru a hack who got by on his looks. Thus, the kidnapping plot--get Tomaru kidnapped and offer herself in exchange to prove to the world that she was the more virtuous, brave, etc celebrity, and more deserving of positive press and good roles. Her plan all along was to have him kidnapped and offer herself as ransom, but in the Naruto world, the best way to prove that someone is after your life is to hire ninjas, besides, by starting out with "serious" death threats in need of ninja protection, they were guaranteed even more press and coverage in the gossip mags, and when you are being unceremoniously killed off a popular drama to make way for a new actress, you want all the press you can get.

As for Tomaru's intentions with Cho Cho, I think he was teasing her, and it was meant to be playful. But he wouldn't even have looked twice if she appeared her usual size when they met. Not sure why Cho Cho kept up the ruse after he was nasty to her, and after he said "you will never get [an engagement ring]" I was certainly willing to let him die in a ditch.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:23 am Reply with quote
Huh, I thought Guy was left paraplegic. I don't really see what the problem is if it's just his one leg below the knee that's...what? Paralyzed? Permanently broken? I didn't even need crutches when I had a cast like that, let alone a chair.

I guess for shinobi-level action, he's at a bit of a disadvantage, but not much more than all his ridiculous races with Kakashi on his hands or whatever. Is there something else going on with his injury that the anime skipped over?
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:58 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Huh, I thought Guy was left paraplegic. I don't really see what the problem is if it's just his one leg below the knee that's...what? Paralyzed? Permanently broken?

Permanently broken, I guess. The leg was completely shattered when he fought Madara, and as the reviewer noted, it's kinda weird that Naruto's Yin-Yang Release was unable to fix it - especially since said technique can regenerate organs.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:33 am Reply with quote
I see. It's really odd how they can swap eyes around on the fly like trading cards, and that one guy could sew body parts and hearts all over him, but they can't transplant limbs like Sasuke's hand or Guy's leg. Still, Guy would be better off to just amputate and get a prosthesis if it's holding him back to the point that he needs a chair (I still don't get that - why not a crutch?). People run races on those things, and it's even been questioned whether that gives them an unfair advantage in a short race.
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:30 am Reply with quote
We are never going to find out who Metal's mother is, are we? I bet Rock just cloned himself.

While I agree that the way they depict Guy disability is strange, I'm glad they're depicting it, and I like that he uses a wheelchair even though he can stand and can probably walk with crutches. A lot of people who can technically walk use wheelchairs sometimes because it's easier and more comfortable for them to get around that way.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:17 am Reply with quote
JaggedAuthor wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Huh, I thought Guy was left paraplegic. I don't really see what the problem is if it's just his one leg below the knee that's...what? Paralyzed? Permanently broken?

Permanently broken, I guess. The leg was completely shattered when he fought Madara, and as the reviewer noted, it's kinda weird that Naruto's Yin-Yang Release was unable to fix it - especially since said technique can regenerate organs.

its probably cause that it cannot regenerate actual bones! and him releasing the gates completely destroyed all of the bones in his leg!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:21 am Reply with quote
^ Again, if he's just walking around with a bag of meat from his knee down, amputate and get a prosthesis. It would be much easier for him to get around, since it appears that the village isn't all that accessible.

Boruto still hasn't learned his lesson about cheating yet, has he. smh

Quote:
Though this series has a fairly uneven track record when it comes to side stories, episode 71 gives the impression that this will be one of Boruto's better efforts.

It better be. Mitsuki is my favorite character of Boruto's gang. His bird-like eyes (yes, I know they're supposed to be snake-like) really drove home the point about imprinting.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:20 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoyed this episode, "Mitsuki's Will" - my favorite of the Boruto series so far, I think. Solid character work on Sarada and Boruto, and evocative callbacks to Naruto's pursuit of Sasuke in the original series, but with plenty to make it unique as well.
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:54 pm Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
I really enjoyed this episode, "Mitsuki's Will" - my favorite of the Boruto series so far, I think. Solid character work on Sarada and Boruto, and evocative callbacks to Naruto's pursuit of Sasuke in the original series, but with plenty to make it unique as well.

the real hope is that he doesnt go down the same road as his namesake or worse. like cough* cough* Gin Ichimaru!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
rizuchan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:00 pm Reply with quote
What, no mention of the obvious Eva homage that is Mitsuki's apartment? If the last episode hadn't made it so clear Mitsuki wasn't there anymore, I would have expected a very different ending to that scene. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:28 pm Reply with quote
rizuchan wrote:
What, no mention of the obvious Eva homage that is Mitsuki's apartment? If the last episode hadn't made it so clear Mitsuki wasn't there anymore, I would have expected a very different ending to that scene. Laughing

the real surprise is that NO ONE picked up on the homage when it comes to mitsuki's name!! i mean orochimaru giving the child the exact same as one of his disciples from the very first ep of the original series. definitely NOT A COINCIDENCE!!!
Marimo0

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:43 pm Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
the real surprise is that NO ONE picked up on the homage when it comes to mitsuki's name!! i mean orochimaru giving the child the exact same as one of his disciples from the very first ep of the original series. definitely NOT A COINCIDENCE!!!

The guy from the first episode is Mizuki, not Mitsuki. Kind of like saying naming someone Tad is connecting them to a character named Ted.

Plus Mitsuki was created by Kishimoto himself for the Boruto movie. Usually creators don't pay attention to anime filler or make use of it. Exceptions are if it was really popular, like Bardock and Broly from Dragon Ball Z. Mizuki is not anywhere near that popular considering his lack of presence in Naruto media.

Also, even in that filler I don't think Mizuki was anything special to Orochimaru. To him, he was just another pawn to be used like being a test subject for the cursed seal.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Although it started last week, I only just noticed that Mitsuki is mostly missing from the ED, and where he remains he's in almost total shadow. Nice.

Good episode. I wish I knew who he was hanging out with, but I can wait to find out. I swear Orochimaru looks younger than ever. I guess being killed by Sasuke was like a salon peel for him. Smile Maybe he should've tried that sooner instead of wasting so much time going through all those host candidates.
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:38 am Reply with quote
I loved the episode. Orochimaru is so mellow in his old age and it's great to watch, especially the way he easily gets Yamato's underwear in a twist without batting an eye (you could practically hear Yamato grunting "I hate this gig!" Under his breath! Very Happy) Orochimaru also looks fantastic, even younger than Tsunade. (It's probably all the make-up). Wouldn't be surprised if Orochimaru's in a female body, or maybe just engineered the perfect androgynous form.

It was nice seeing Suigetsu and Karin again, too. Does Sarada still think of Karin as her maybe-mom? I definitely got that impression.

I'm very curious as to what Mitsuki's up to. I'm sure it's not as bad as all that. He's a good boy.

It was interesting to see Konohamaru's emotional reaction to learning about Orochimaru's involvement, and the show touching again on a vital theme from the Land in the Mist arc--the descendants of my enemy are not responsible for the sins of their forebears.
Marimo0

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:40 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Although it started last week, I only just noticed that Mitsuki is mostly missing from the ED, and where he remains he's in almost total shadow. Nice.

Good episode. I wish I knew who he was hanging out with, but I can wait to find out. I swear Orochimaru looks younger than ever. I guess being killed by Sasuke was like a salon peel for him. Smile Maybe he should've tried that sooner instead of wasting so much time going through all those host candidates.

If you mean the white haired guy (not Suigetsu) who looks like Mitsuki, that's his older clone brother Log. He was previously seen in episode 39, where we saw Mitsuki's origins.

And Orochimaru's still taking over bodies. He ends up modifying them so that they look more like him, so he's probably just decided to change how he usually looks.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 19 of 31